Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2010/11 Ashes thread

Comments

• Options
    What an absolute idiot Haddin is talking Ponting into that review today??! And what on Earth could Pontin still be arguing about after it had gone to the third umpire? A man under pressure I guess. Just not cricket.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]What an absolute idiot Haddin is talking Ponting into that review today??! And what on Earth could Pontin still be arguing about after it had gone to the third umpire? A man under pressure I guess. Just not cricket.

Pontin in melt down,this could be the end of his test career. England declare @ 650? Two days to bowl them out
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]What an absolute idiot Haddin is talking Ponting into that review today??! And what on Earth could Pontin still be arguing about after it had gone to the third umpire? A man under pressure I guess. Just not cricket.

Ponting is under pressure - out of form, about to lose the captaincy and coming to the end of his career. No excuse for arguing with the umpires - very poor example from Ponting. Aleem Dar made the correct decision and was vindicated by the technology. As an umpire myself, I would not tolerate dissent like that in a Saturday league game, let alone a test match and I see that Ponting has been fined 40% of his match fee having pleaded guilty to the Match Referee.

Ideally, England would like a lead of around 450, declare around lunchtime tomorrow which gives them 7 and a bit sessions to bowl them out. I just hope that they then continue to turn the screw and win at Sydney to make it 3-1 rather than 2-2
  • Options
    Listening to 5 live extra when prior is caller back for the umpire to review for a no ball and you can hear vaughan giggling in The background
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Listening to 5 live extra when prior is caller back for the umpire to review for a no ball and you can hear vaughan giggling in The background

Ha ha . I liked Bumble's comments on Sky as events were unfolding - "Keep your eye on Ponting, he's going to combust"!
  • Options
    Whilst Ponting's record as a batsman speaks for itself and any lover of cricket appreciates his undoubted talent, I have simply no respect for the man. He is and always has been a whinger, whiner and bad sport. He'll get all he deserves.

He is certainly no Mark Taylor.
  • Options
    Cautious optimism.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]Can't believe that we are still 1.18 to win. I make us a 1.03 to 1.05 shot.

definitely , i just presumed the forecast is moody but someone said it isn't .... i can't see us not winning
  • Options
    Stop going on about it and have a bet.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Stop going on about it and have a bet.

i have, i had a bet we wouldn't win the series ..... shame on me !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I have - at 2/1 on England to win the series (draw no bet). Otherwise I would be smashing into the 1.18 ;-)
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]

Not such a bad bet. I can see us taking our foot off the gas after victory in Melbourne. I'll take 2-2. It's the Ashes that matter and they're staying here, in every sense.

We're the better side by some way. That certainly wasn't the case in 2009. Australia have very serious problems to face up to over the next few years.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Cautious optimism.

Steady there Len - that glass might be getting past half empty!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]

Not such a bad bet. I can see us taking our foot off the gas after victory in Melbourne. I'll take 2-2. It's the Ashes that matter and they're staying here, in every sense.

We're the better side by some way. That certainly wasn't the case in 2009. Australia have very serious problems to face up to over the next few years.

Can't see what you're on about Chirpy. It's not as if the Aussies have:

(1) An opening batsman with a technique so bad he would struggle to get into a decent Club side
    (2) Another opener who consistently gets to 50 but does no more and who holds the worst conversion to ton record (14-3 I believe)
    (3) A number three who carries the weight of the Nation on his back, a broken finger and a crap team to boot
    (4) A number four who the likes of Stuart Law and Darren Lehman must be looking out and thinking "how I wish I was 10 years younger"
    (5) A number six who wouldn't bat higher than ten for us and who certainly wouldn't be picked as a spinner for us
    (6) One of the best bowlers in the World when his head is in the right place but when it isn't is a complete waste of space and a liability
    (7) An opening bowler who has Series figures of 2 for almost 300. And one of those was courtesy of a third ball series slash from our skipper

In summary, the only Aussie who would automatically get into our side would be Mr Cricket. And we don't need him anyway as we've been carrying Colly for the Series and we're still in front.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Listening to 5 live extra when prior is caller back for the umpire to review for a no ball and you can hear vaughan giggling in The background
    I heard that - Aggers also made a comment about Ponting being about to spontaneously combust!

Ian Chappell, who is as loyal an Aussie as you could find was merciless about Ponting's behaviour - he felt that he should be suspended by the match referee.
  • Options
    Got away with 40% match fee fine, if any one thought he was being disrespectful to the umpires he has assured us he was not. Another covict getting away with it
  • Options
    I thought his conduct was absolutely disgraceful. If that is not a level two dissent offence what do you need to do to reach that threshold, take a stump out the ground and force the ump to swallow it?

Complete kop out.
  • Options
    Well, here we go again. If and it's a big if, we go on to win in melbourne, we could win the ashes there and then. The eastern coast has been absolutely battered by the remnants of a cyclone and the sydney test could fall foul of the weather. Any other than a series win would be a travesty so we've got to tie it up here if we want to say that we won the ashes in australia.
  • Options
    Charlton shirt behind the trumpeter again.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Aussies 104-4. Bresnan 3-11. Hughes run out, Watson another 50 and out. Punter another failure and Mr Cricket makes a big fat zero. Only 311 behind!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looks like that's that then ashes coming home Aussie team look broken and beyond repair
  • Options
    The Aussies certainly look 'gone' to me. I just hope we keep it going at Sydney and don't lose there. A 2-1 or 3-1 series victory looks much better than 2-2!
  • Options
    I think for the final test we should attack them, by dropping Collingwood replacing him with Brennan and bringing back Finn. Then just blow them away!
  • Options
    we need to win series that would be something else
  • Options
    Final test has non event draw written all over it.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]Final test has non event draw written all over it.
    No way! As has already been pointed out, there's a big difference between 2-2 and 3-1. I'd like to see us drop Collingwood, move Bell up and play Panesar. Give some more, new problems on the spinning pitch of the SCG.

Australia are down. Floundering. Hopeless. Now's the time to keep the boot firmly on their throat.
  • Options
    Here we go - eyes down for a full house!
  • Options
    Cheerio Mitch !

Johnson B Tremlett 172-7