Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Life servers survive - Bermuda Hurricane

Looks like Lookout and the CL servers survived then! ;-)

Bermuda survives!

Thank goodness for that. What would we all do if this wasn't here!?!?! ;-)

Lookout - I take it a disaster recovery plan is in place for CL and we have back-up servers in a top secret secure bunker at an alternative location?

:-p

Comments

• On a serious note though I hope anyone that is out there is coping with recent events. Especially our fellow Lifers.
  • Think the servers are somewhere in the good ol US of A.

How was it for our Bermuda branch (Lookie, Chicago, Bermuda Red) ??

Hope everyone managed to survive it with no real dramas.
  • I was fascinated by following ChicagoAddick on Twitter, seems like his place on the beach got a battering but him and family seem ok. He was moving from one part of the house to another to keep away from the terrible Igor.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]I was fascinated by following ChicagoAddick on Twitter, seems like his place on the beach got a battering but him and family seem ok. He was moving from one part of the house to another to keep away from the terrible Igor.
    How can anyone from Chigago be afraid of a little bit of wind...?
  • edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Sideways[/cite]Looks like Lookout and the CL servers survived then! ;-)

[url=http://www.metro.co.uk/news/841567-bermuda-survives-hurricane-igor-s-fury]Bermuda survives![/url]

Thank goodness for that. What would we all do if this wasn't here!?!?! ;-)

Lookout - I take it a disaster recovery plan is in place for CL and we have back-up servers in a top secret secure bunker at an alternative location?

:-p

Mention of top secret bunkers reminds me ....

We took a trip to the 'Secret Nuclear Bunker' (ironically very well-signposted around the Ongar and Harlow area) a few weeks back. It's in Kelvedon Hatch and is a fascinating place to visit. Quite low-key, and kept entirely as it was during its occupancy (up to the early 1990's).

http://www.secretnuclearbunker.com/

It's a great family day out, and it brings home how seriously (in a classically amateurish British way) the Government took the threat of nuclear war during the crucial decades.
  • All well thanks. It was pretty wild at times, especially midnight Sunday. The house was shuddering in the gusts. Fortunately we didn't lose power but garden was a real mess on Monday! Max sustained winds of 93 mph gusting to 117mph down our (east) end of the Island, so a lot better than initially feared. Hurricane Fabian in 2003 was a lot worse in terms of wind speed and damage, but Igor was bigger and slower moving so we were stuck inside for almost a whole day as the storm moved across us. But we have pretty rigid building codes here, so little structural damage. Damage limited to mainly vegetation, some flooding and boats. Bermuda snaps into hurricane mode several days ahead of these storms (most of which are false alarms as systems downsize or change track )and everybody knows the drill (boarding/taping windows, stocking up on emergency supplies, moving plants, check boat moorings/get boat out of water and taking furniture from gardens etc) same with the clean up. When I first came here hurricanes were fun, an excuse for a party, but now with kids/home ownership etc it's kinda stressful!
  • I hope you didn't have any washing out on the line, especially not your Charlton reds! :-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Bermuda_red[/cite]hurricanes were fun, an excuse for a party, but now with kids/home ownership etc it's kinda stressful!

LOL! Igor was the first hurricane to make me feel like an old man! I had a bad feeling, worried about house and family. Maybe it's because we have a little one now, but I feared the worst. Anyhow, it all worked out in the end. We were out of power for 24hrs, a few downed trees, but nothing more than that to moan about. All in all, feel quite relieved.

Oh for the days of going out in the eye of the hurricane to peak at the neighborhood damage before bolting back in and bunkering down for the second half!
  • We too are almost back to normal. Some damage to the house, me and the missus were hanging on to a set of patio doors at 2am to stop them blowing out (I had ACL reconstruction the day before!!). Some outside lights and fences obliterated and a lot of water got into the house but can hardly call it flooding plus garden f*cked.

Electric being out afterwards was the worse but the local power company BELCO did a bang up job.

It was only at Cat 1 too - sustained winds up to 95mph. Can't imagine what a Cat 5 such as Katrina would be like.

And RZ333 my Chicago training did come in handy.
    Thanks WSS - I had my mobile working all the way through it (thanks Digicel) and thought i would document it.

For those interested - my blog is here:
    http://chicagoaddick.wordpress.com/
  • Glad to hear all Lifers in Bermuda are OK. :-)