Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Anyone been to Mombasa?

edited September 2010 in Not Sports Related
I've been offered a week's work out there in November and wondered if anyone had been there and what it's like.

I looked on the Foreign Office website and it said that Kenya is a high risk for terrorist attack - but I don't remember hearing anything going on out there for a few years.

Comments

• Options
    I been there a few years back, inbox me and I can show you some of the pictures we took.

I never heard of Mombasa being a high risk of a terrorist attack but I was there for 2 weeks on holiday and never felt uneasy or unsafe. The local people are really nice and friendly and if you get time visit a small village and bring lots of sweets with you and hand them to the Children, to them its luxury.

Im suprised your offered a weeks work there? Considering I don't think going on a weeks holiday will be enough for the amount of traveling you have to do.
  • Options
    Been there a couple of times - it's basically the entry point to the East coast resorts and beaches for the Tourists. This makes it fairly safe if you are aware of your comings and goings but it also makes you the richest person in town.
  • Options
    Been there a couple of times - it's basically the entry point to the East coast resorts and beaches for the Tourists. This makes it fairly safe if you are aware of your comings and goings but it also makes you the richest person in town.
  • Options
    Yeah wen't there 4 years back. Amazing isn't the word.
  • Options
    The centre is pretty rough and ready - crowded, humid, run-down, can be chaotic. You need your wits about you. As you go further North or South, it becomes more resorty/ touristy, with some very nice hotels eg Nyali Beach. Mombasa is a bit of a melting pot between Africa and Asia, as it is a big port. There is a strong Muslim influence, though not too extreme in Kenya. Any trouble in Kenya often comes from incursions from Somalia, which it borders to the North - a long way up the coast from Mombasa. My detailed knowledge is a few years' out-of-date. Have you been to Africa or India or anywhere like that before? Will you get support from colleagues out there or will you be on your own? A week isn't too long - will be long enough if you don't take to it, but too short if you get into the swing of it!