Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

SOS for Chris Solly - the RB slot needs you

edited September 2010 in General Charlton
where is Chris ? Wasn't mentioned as injured by Parky pre-match but didn't even feature on the bench and agianst D&R in the Paint Pot was nowhere to be seen. Chris, your position has been taken by someone masquerading as a RB. Please come back soon.

Comments

• Options
    I can detect a whiff of another 'curious case' thread. Where's our Solly gone?
  • Options
    I have to agree with Large - which is quite unusual.

Francis probably had his best game for Charlton yesterday, which isn't saying much as he has been shockingly bad in all the other games.

I still think he regularly gives the ball away, he is often standing upfield of the man he is marking instead of goal side & he still has no pace & seems to lack any get up and go.

On the plus side he is tall & puts in very good crosses.
  • Options
    I thought he was injured mid week?
  • Options
    Solly said he was injured outside the ground tuesday.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CafcAndy[/cite]Solly said he was injured outside the ground tuesday.

fair enough BUT on the piece by Parky about the Exeter game he said the only injury doubts were Dailly and Elliott whilst Forch and Anyinsah would play for the reserves on Tuesday before first team consideration even though they eventually made the bench. No mention of Chris being injured.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CafcAndy[/cite]Solly said he was injured outside the ground tuesday.

Potholes in the carpark again.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]

fair enough BUT on the piece by Parky about the Exeter game he said the only injury doubts were Dailly and Elliott whilst Forch and Anyinsah would play for the reserves on Tuesday before first team consideration even though they eventually made the bench. No mention of Chris being injured.

My own view is long term Francis will prove to be the better of the right backs but I don't want him playing himself in in league matches. If Solly is currently playing the better of the two (I have only seen a couple of games, so I can't judge) then I he should keep the shirt, or rather get it back. Obviously if he is still injured and parkie forgot to mention it fair enough, but I suspect either way Francis would have started.
  • Options
    Don't kill me but.....I like Francis and think he should start.

Solly wasn't in the 18 for Saturday as he was injured, I believe.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LSEBarnes[/cite]Don't kill me but.....I like Francis and think he should start.

What is it that you like about Francis? ie what is it that you think he does well ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LSEBarnes[/cite]Don't kill me but.....I like Francis and think he should start.

What is it that you like about Francis? ie what is it that you think he does well ?

am interested in reading LSE's reply. I can't see he brings anything to the party. Over to LSE ....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Francis is shite! Defensivley he isn't great and going forward which is ment to be his strength he is poor too. 80% of his crosses don't find a man and yesterday he was awfull. He looked like he didn't know what to do with the ball at time! For me Solly would be our first choice. He had a blinder against Bournemouth and showed so much commitment going into his tackles and getting forward. He busted a lung to get that third goal against the O's. When he gets back to full fitness I would be gutted not to see him starting. As for yesterday I'm speechless, as a team so poor!
  • Options
    100% agree
  • Options
    Not seen anything particularly encouraging about Francis's way of playing, but can only hope he gets better.

The one crticism of recent Charlton managers that I have consistenly bemoaned is that when a player is clearly out of form or not match fit, if I can see it, why on earth cant they?
  • Options
    Threads on here today I am seeing as a deliberate attempt to make me break my promise to bunch or barstewards
  • Options
    He was free
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: fantastic11[/cite]He was free

free ?? If you mean he was free, as in didn't cost anything, I'm afraid you are wrong. He cost 35k and so far isn't even worth 35p. If you meant some other sort of 'free' please explain.
  • Options
    It was the first time I'd seen him play, but thought Francis played okay at Exeter - not brilliant, but averagely okay.
    Invariably he stuck to his task, got up and down the line well in the 2nd half although his crossing could have been better.

Occasionally exposed with 2 opponents going at him - so where was his cover?

Overall - 6 out of 10. Average.
  • Options
    but Oggy his positional play is awful and his passing dreadful. Neither to do with lack of cover.
  • Options
    Solly is injured.

Done his ankle in before the Huddersfield game thought he would be out for ten days
  • Options
    edited September 2010

am interested in reading LSE's reply. I can't see he brings anything to the party. Over to LSE ....

Although Francis has not made the brightest start to his Charlton career, there are a couple of features of his game that I like. Firstly, he is dominant in the air, and strong in defence both in the air and on the ground. This differentiates him from Solly, who although is a very good footballer, cannot really challenge when balls are sprayed across the pitch. CDM may be the only position Chris Solly may ever to play at Charlton, it is sad but in this physical league he is too small and slight to play in a back four. As shown by Francis' brilliant cross for McCormack's goal against Orient, there is clearly a good footballing brain there, as well the quality to deliver dangerous crosses off both feet.

Francis is a regular at this level, and last won player of the year at a League 1 club. Finally, as the team beds and settles,
    I'm sure fewer of those passes will go astray and he will be a little big more popular around SE7.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: LSEBarnes[/cite]

Although Francis has not made the brightest start to his Charlton career, there are a couple of features of his game that I like. Firstly, he is dominant in the air, and strong in defence both in the air and on the ground. This differentiates him from Solly, who although is a very good footballer, cannot really challenge when balls are sprayed across the pitch. CDM may be the only position Chris Solly may ever to play at Charlton, it is sad but in this physical league he is too small and slight to play in a back four. As shown by Francis' brilliant cross for McCormack's goal against Orient, there is clearly a good footballing brain there, as well the quality to deliver dangerous crosses off both feet.

Francis is a regular at this level, and last won player of the year at a League 1 club. Finally, as the team beds and settles,
    I'm sure fewer of those passes will go astray and he will be a little big more popular around SE7.

You've got it spot on Barnesy!

Solly could turn out to be a very good player, but much too small for a right back, especially in this division with so many balls up in the air.
  • Options
    Give Francis a chance.
    Blimey.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]but Oggy his positional play is awful and his passing dreadful. Neither to do with lack of cover.

As I said, Large ..... first time I'd seen Francis play.
    So no bias, no prejudice.

Despite some people marking him ridiculously low in the player ratings (plenty of 4's, someone even marked him 3 out of 10 for God's sake - what game were they watching?) ....... I gave him a 6 based on what I saw.

6 out of 10 is average, steady enough, okay-ish. No more, no less.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LSEBarnes[/cite] Francis is a regular at this level, and last won player of the year at a League 1 club.
    Yes, but he was a hell of lot busier at Southend last season!!!!

Maybe Francis is still getting up to speed fitness-wise. I believe he was way behind the others in terms of pre-season training. Look at Omozusi last season, started off cack but improved as he got games under his belt.

And if I remember rightly, Luke Young was crap when he first started at Charlton too (he was known as 'Luke Warm' by some fans) but he turned out ok in the end (an England international - although probably unlikely for Francis!)!
  • Options
    LSEBarnes - Thanks for the reply. I agree with what you say 100%. He has been putting over some good crosses and obviously has a height advantage over Solly.
    Yes, he also had his best game yet on Saturday where I'd give him a 6 in line with most of the team.

What worries me is his dreadful passing - he hoofs it nearly every time & gives it away, even when there is no pressure on him.
    Secondly, his positioning is suspect IMO, in that he gets in front of the defender too often instead of goal side.

I agree that it's early days & he could turn out to be an excellent player at this level & agree that he needs more games to bed in.

I'm just saying what I see at the moment & am disappointed so far.