Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andy Townsend - shockingly bad commentator

An observation on last night while waiting for the kick-off v Exeter.

Seldom watch football on ITV so hadn't quite realised how bad Townsend is as a commentator until last night.

Platitudes, cliches, over statement of the obvious, complemented by an equally blinding lack of logic.

Far too many instances to mention, but this one really set me off after about 15 mins:

''It often happens that an early goal can knock the wind out of your sails.''

Was he talking about Bulgaria? No he was talking about England! I know what he meant - we started brightly then went off the boil a bit. But it was a very bizarre way to express it.

Better start praying we don't get an early goal down at Exeter. Really don't want the wind knocked out of our sails by taking the lead !!!

Comments

• Options
    A typical all Premiership/Champions League commentator with little interest outside what ITV cover.

He had no idea who Scott Loach was before the Hungary game...ok Loachy isn't that well know but you'd think he might do some research?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Super_horns[/cite]A typical all Premiership/Champions League commentator with little interest outside what ITV cover.

He had no idea who Scott Loach was before the Hungary game...ok Loachy isn't that well know but you'd think he might do some research?

And he is?
  • Options
    Our goalie..;)

Your not paid to do research and find out though...
  • Options
    I'd still rather hear Townsend speak than Tyldesley.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Super_horns[/cite]Our goalie..;)

Your not paid to do research and find out though...
    It's just abysmal. During the world cup Lawro was musing away to himself as to whether Luis Fabiano was a regular starter for Brasil. Apart from the fact that someone with a passing interest in football would probably know this - it grates that a man that has been sent expenses paid by licence payers to provide expertise on the tournament has so much disdain for the people that pay his wages that he couldn't even be arsed to google it before the game.

And Townsend is worse.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LawrieAbrahams[/cite]I'd still rather hear Townsend speak than Tyldesley.

I agree, Tydlesley commentating on Liverpool matches is to much for me. Absolute cringeworthy.
  • Options
    that nob Andy Gray ! cant stand him !
  • Options

Thought he spoke well of us today. He does seem to have a soft spot after all.

• Options
    I think his Dad was Don who played for us back in the late 50's/early 60's.  
  • Options
    I think his Dad was Don who played for us back in the late 50's/early 60's.  

He was. However Andy doesn't normally have a good word to say about us, don't know why.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    First post guys so please be patient. I don't think he's that bad, there are a lot worse, he seems knowledgable and his delivery is quite natural. He probably would have a soft spot for us, grew up with him as a kid in Bexleyheath and I can confirm his dad Don did play for us, only trouble is he played for Palace too! 
  • Options
    Not sure but think Andy was a Millwall fan growing up
  • Options
    Sorry if this is discussed elsewhere but I thought the ITV coverage was balanced and informative. No complaints
  • Options
    Not sure but think Andy was a Millwall fan growing up
    He was a Chelsea fan, especially after they won the FA cup in the early seventies!
  • Options
    Don used to be in a Charlton 'house' up the top of Ankerdine Cres in Shooters Hill where I used to live. They used to do that in those days. I seem to remember lots of kids. My mum bought their twin pram off them.