Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dailly's eye socket

edited September 2010 in General Charlton
Anyone heard any news on the scan? I always worry it's not good when it all goes quiet...

Comments

• Options
    Me too, the 'no news is good news' line isn't working.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Anyone heard any news on the scan? I always worry it's not good when it all goes quiet...

Agreed. Youga being the most recent example.
  • Options
    Can't imagine he will be available today and the good news would be he is only out for a couple of weeks
  • Options
    Out for four to five weeks
    http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/Sport.cfm?id=31091&headline=Charlton
  • Options
    Reserve game tomorrow so Fortune can get a run out.

If he's fit enough, Forch is a much more similar style to Dailly, than Llera.
    And should compliment Doc.

This is your chance to get back in the frame, Forch!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Reserve game tomorrow so Fortune can get a run out.

If he's fit enough, Forch is a much more similar style to Dailly, than Llera.
    And should compliment Doc.

This is your chance to get back in the frame, Forch!

I think Semedo is the nearest we have to Dailly in terms of style of play. I'd put Semedo at centre back with either Doherty (aargh), Llera (also aargh) or Fortune (if fit).

That would also help us with the central midfield conundrum. A midfield four of Semedo, McCormack plus two wingers isn't working (nor was it ever likely to).

McCormack as the base of a diamond with Martin as the apex, plus two wingers and two up front is a better balance, in my view, and improves the creative aspects. It may be at the expense of some defensive solidity, but overall the equation moves in our favour with that line-up.

Then when Dailly returns, Semedo can revert back into midfield and replace McCormack as appropriate.

Now that we have blooded Fry, I'd also think about Jackson as the left-sided midfielder if Reid continues to show these stop-start performances. Maybe Reid should be preferred at home, Jackson away from home.
  • Options
    Well, using Semedo at CB is another way of replacing Dailly; McCormack as the holding player, Martin in the hole.
    One of the wingers would have to play narrower.

But a lot more fluid and unpredictable for opponents.
    It may well be worth a try, especially at home.
  • Options
    I am also in favour of giving Semedo a run at centre back paired with a big fella, I think he'd link well with the midfield, and strengthen the backline which is still proving an issue - for some years now
  • Options
    Semedo did OK there when Dailly was out last Christmas - agree it is probably a better option that Llera and Doc, and might free up the creative role in midfield.
  • Options
    Fortune to get as fit as possible as given Llera's recent outings he doesn't look match fit yet can get a game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I like that idea Dave, only slight concern might be from a height perspective if we were up against a team of less mobile lumps
  • Options
    I know Fortune hasn't played competitively for ages but wasn't he with us in pre season and he played in some friendlies? He can't be a million miles away from playing surely? Edgar Davids is about 48 and played his first game in 2 years after 1 training session with Palace.
  • Options
    I can only imagine he has lost his edge a little hence parkys comments..
  • Options
    Put Jose in at CB... Llera is a total liabilty. Parky wont even give it a thought though
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: UP...THE...ADDICKS[/cite]Put Jose in at CB... Llera is a total liabilty. Parky wont even give it a thought though
    Yet if he did and we went on to lose, people would be moaning that the manager is playing one of our best players out of position, even after he proved he's a midfielder after last year.

Or if Semedo plays there it might be called poor man management to leave natural CBs like Llera or even Fry out. How can they be motivated win their place back if someone plays out of position ahead of them.

He'd also be called tactically clueless if he played Semedo at CB and the opposition destroyed him in the air simply by putting a big lump on up front and hoofing the ball up to him.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: UP...THE...ADDICKS[/cite]Put Jose in at CB... Llera is a total liabilty. Parky wont even give it a thought though
    Yet if he did and we went on to lose, people would be moaning that the manager is playing one of our best players out of position, even after he proved he's a midfielder after last year.

Or if Semedo plays there it might be called poor man management to leave natural CBs like Llera or even Fry out. How can they be motivated win their place back if someone plays out of position ahead of them.

He'd also be called tactically clueless if he played Semedo at CB and the opposition destroyed him in the air simply by putting a big lump on up front and hoofing the ball up to him.

I'm not slating Parky at all... People will whatever he does, I'd put Semedo at CB
  • Options

Or, if we go on to win handsomely and keep a clean sheet, we'd take our collective hats off to Parkinson for showing some tactical nous at last.

None of the natural centre backs would claim that they offer a similar set of skills to Dailly (Fry maybe, but we don't know that yet). Semedo does offer that, in my view. It's a natural move to make in Dailly's absence. Incidentally, for all that Semedo does well in midfield, he actually came to us as a centre back, so it would hardly be playing him "out of position".

Are you honestly saying that you prefer to pair Doherty and Llera again?

There are also several ways of dealing with the 'big lump and hoof it' tactic. One is to make sure that your own 'big man' (Doherty or Llera) marks the opposition big lump most of the time, while your covering centre back (Semedo in this case) looks to pick up the pieces whenever the ball is not won by us. Second, cut out the delivery to the big lump - so your forwards and wide players need to defend from the front.

It isn't all down to the aerial ability of Semedo ... and he isn't so bad in the air anyway.

Next?
  • Options
    Plus I'd much rather have Jose man-marking Lee hughes than Llera
  • Options
    If jackson is fit to play left back - I'd play Fry at centre half, as Fortune is obviously not match fit.

However, if Parky believes Fortune has miraculously achieved fitness then I'd love to see him play.
  • Options
    Semedo is a centre half played in midfield not the other way round..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]Or, if we go on to win handsomely and keep a clean sheet, we'd take our collective hats off to Parkinson for showing some tactical nous at last.

None of the natural centre backs would claim that they offer a similar set of skills to Dailly (Fry maybe, but we don't know that yet). Semedo does offer that, in my view. It's a natural move to make in Dailly's absence. Incidentally, for all that Semedo does well in midfield, he actually came to us as a centre back, so it would hardly be playing him "out of position".

Are you honestly saying that you prefer to pair Doherty and Llera again?

There are also several ways of dealing with the 'big lump and hoof it' tactic. One is to make sure that your own 'big man' (Doherty or Llera) marks the opposition big lump most of the time, while your covering centre back (Semedo in this case) looks to pick up the pieces whenever the ball is not won by us. Second, cut out the delivery to the big lump - so your forwards and wide players need to defend from the front.

It isn't all down to the aerial ability of Semedo ... and he isn't so bad in the air anyway.

Next?
    I do agree he could do a good job at centre back. Was more a reply to the UP...THE...ADDICKS "Parky wont even give it a thought though" post, as if it's the clear solution but Parky just hasn't got the tactical knowledge to see it.

Have read posts (not necessarily here) before where fans are suggesting Parky doesn't have tactical knowledge just because he doesn't try something they think is a good idea. UP...THE...ADDICKS said he's not slating Parky, just came across like that at first.

It's like the talk about playing 3-5-2. It might be the answer, it might not be. It's not something so simple that everyone but Parky can see. He might have good reasons for not playing 3-5-2.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]He might have good reasons for not playing 3-5-2.

Well, for a start .....I doubt if most of our squad are actually practiced and familiar with 3-5-2.
    And if our players are not comfortable and used to it - then it could easily cause more problems than it may possibly solve.

Exeter often use it at home because they have a narrow pitch, so easier for them to cover behind their wingbacks.
    They have the players that are used to it - and know how to make their pitch work for them to their advantage.

I don't remember Exeter playing 3-5-2 when playing at The Valley last season.
    So perhaps they don't use that formation when playing away.

There are very good reasons why 3-5-2 has fallen out of favour.
  • Options

This right there is bang on, Phil Parkinson can't win. Scoham has nailed it

I'm behind Phil Parkinson, I'd rather have Semedo (who has spent more of his professional career in centre mid than at centre half) playing in the middle than in a position where we have actual centre halves.

As boring as it may seem, we are not much good without Semedo in the middle
  • Options
    As a general point, I wonder why the OS hasn't told us about Dailly? I felt pretty concerned for him as a person, as well as having concerns about losing him from the squad. Why do we only get to read about it in the SLP? It seems a tad disrespectful both to supporters and Dailly.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]He might have good reasons for not playing 3-5-2.

As the person that raised the 3-5-2 issue, this has been taken totally out of context. If you read my post, I was suggesting that because we were 2nd best at Exeter it might have been worth shuffling the pack and trying it for part of the match. I have never been a big fan of the system, but it's always an option especially if we are chasing a match.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: harveys gardener[/cite]As the person that raised the 3-5-2 issue, this has been taken totally out of context. If you read my post, I was suggesting that because we were 2nd best at Exeter it might have been worth shuffling the pack and trying it for part of the match. I have never been a big fan of the system, but it's always an option especially if we are chasing a match.

Like Scoham, I was just exploring as to why we could use it or not.

My conclusion ....... it's flawed, outdated and our players are not familiar with it.
    In that case, trying to switch to it part way through a match, IMO would be tactical suicide.

IMO, we were 2nd best at Exeter because we played too deep with a 4 man midfield,
    allowing Exeter with a 5 man midfield to pressure us.
  • Options
    from twitter: Charlton XI is currently taking on a Crystal Palace XI in a private friendly at Sparrows Lane - we'll have more details later (MW)

doesnt list the team.
  • Options
    Christian should be available for selection saturday (along with Elliott).

Dailly
  • Options
    wouldn't risk Robbie unless fully fit.