Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Premier League 25 man squads

edited September 2010 in General Charlton
http://www.premierleague.com/page/Headlines/0,,12306~2142220,00.html

Doesn't seem clear who was missed out though.

Includes full names. David Jonathan Healy MBE. One of Glen Johnson's middle names is McLeod.

Somehow Chelsea only have 19 players named.

Comments

• Options
    Noticed that Matt Fry is registered by the Hammers as an Under 21.
  • Options
    This will make you laugh...

Jermain COLIN Defoe. COLIN? I ask you...COLIN??? What on earth were his parents thinking of? You can just imagine the stick he'll get in training next few days lol.
  • Options
    A lot of clubs name less than 25 senior players.

Even Arsenal only name 20.
  • Options
    I'm not surprised Arsenal only named 20, half their squad still have homework
  • Options
    Hopefully some premiership players will go on loan to Championship clubs meaning we will get some Championship players on loan
  • Options
    Can anyone explain this system to me? What happens if you're not youth and not in the 25 like Jason Euell and Danny Coid at Blackpool?
  • Options
    Can someone explain the system to British sports journalists. The idea that Premiership clubs have just 25 players to choose from, is laughable.

Mart - if you're not eligible to play U21s and you're not in the list you can only play for the reserves or go on loan. However Euell and Coid are in their list. Bellamy for example wasn't going to make the Citeh list and so was sent out to Cardiff.

In practice though if you're 26th choice, not including U21s you're probably not playing a lot of games anyway.
  • Options
    Cheers Mortimerician, seems a strange set up to me. Not sure what it's supposed to achieve.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]Cheers Mortimerician, seems a strange set up to me. Not sure what it's supposed to achieve.

1) To prevent 40 man squads - where players sit on their fat contracts but never play games?

2) Or "Sky 4" type clubs which buy up all the best players, don't play them - just to prevent other clubs signing them?

3) Because I don't really know, either!

;o)
  • Options
    The 2) was the reason and of course to bring us in line with European countries who have far more strict squad regulations than we do, e.g. Germany, Spain, Italy

Clearly though, as shown by Ian Holloway, it is totally incompatible with the PL rule of not playing a weaker side.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Players 21 or under do not have to be registered. If not applicable and not named in the 25 then you cannot play in the league but can play in domestic cup competitions.

As i said at the time, fining blackpool for not fielding their stongest team totally contradicts the whole point of naming a squad in the first place. It's not as though they put out a team of youth players. However, this "law" does not apply to teams who are entered in european competitions for that season. They don't state that, I'm just coming to that conclusion as the likes of Man U/Chelsea/Arsenal etc never seem to get punished for doing this. ;-)
  • Options
    The Sun have the latest Premier League 25 man squad which is actioned after the transfer window closes.
    Jason Euell has been left out of the Blackpool 25 and therefore will probably go out on loan.

Premier League 25 Man Squad @ 01/02/2011