Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dad, Me and Millwall

Forget what club the following is about for a few minutes, but thought quite a few on here may relate to this. Certainly hits home with me when I think that probably THE main thing me & my dad really enjoy talking about and share in common is our choice of team.

Even been tweeted by Stephen Fry and others!

Dad, Me and Millwall

Comments

• edited August 2010
  • Very good mate.
  • brings back memories of my dad, he travelled home and away throughout the 70's, used to love listening to what my mum called 'his war stories', getting chased down streets in Bolton and nearly getting stoned to death in Bradford to name a few, took me to my first games at Selhurst / Boleyn, got my first season ticket and then died far too early just before the glory years in the Premiership although he was there for the playoff final and 98/99 season which is a little consolation.
  • don't see my dad too often. don't think our conversations have strayed far from charlton/football in the last 25 years. i don't mind that. he's the one person that i know will never tire of talking about my team. if we didn't have charlton in common, we'd be f***ed.
  • Truly inspired.
  • really enjoyable read that.
  • Thanks for that Sparrows Lane, brought tears to my eyes. What (real) life is all about for many of us.
  • Cheers sparrer. That is a great story and not disimilar to my own relationship with my dad.
  • Lovely story - it strikes a chord with me. It is so important to find shared ground with your father or your son - it's football for me and my sons.
  • A great story; very moving.

Thanks for that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ah, Kevin O'Callaghan. What a goalkeeper ;-)
  • Superb piece Sparrows. It reminds me of when my Dad used to take me & then when I started taking my sons. My relationship with my eldest son mirrors your story.

Truly an excellent piece. This should be made a sticky !
  • Very good and something that many of us will relate to.

I had a good relationship with my own Dad, but supporting Charlton was probably our strongest bond.
    Much though I still love supporting the club, it can never be quite the same without Dad around to share the experience.
  • [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]Superb piece Sparrows. It reminds me of when my Dad used to take me & then when I started taking my sons. My relationship with my eldest son mirrors your story.

Truly an excellent piece. This should be made a sticky !

I didn't write that mate. But can relate to it a lot. Great piece.
  • To me, that should read 'Dad, Me and Charlton'. Very similar to my life story as a Charlton supporter. The article brought a tear to my eye.
  • What a load of shit. What has that got to do with Charlton?

You say forget what club it's about but would you have posted that on here if it had been about Oldham or Chesterfield. No, you posted it cos it's about Millwall.
  • Chill out DFT, he's shared an article that a lot of people on here can relate to and have appreciated that he's shared it. Who cares if it's Millwall? Football (in general, not just Charlton) is something that I shared with my dad, and I'm so glad because it brought us very close
  • [cite]Posted By: D_F_T[/cite]What a load of shit. What has that got to do with Charlton?

You say forget what club it's about but would you have posted that on here if it had been about Oldham or Chesterfield. No, you posted it cos it's about Millwall.

If you think it's about Millwall then perhaps you need to read the story again.
  • Great story, and an article all fans of clubs which aren't Sky four, can relate to.

Pretty much sums up me and my son, a few disagreements, but talk of the Palace, and there pretty much forgotton.
  • If it had been an article along the lines of "me an the ol man had tear ups up and down the country and ran this firm, that firm etc" youd have a point DFT mate. It wasnt and that could have been a fan of any club relaying what was written and it is great and strikes a chord with a lot of us on here.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: D_F_T[/cite]What a load of shit. What has that got to do with Charlton?

If you think it's about Millwall then perhaps you need to read the story again.

I think the young text-savvy folk out there refer to this as someone being "pwned".