Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

UN v Pakistan

The United Nations cricket team are having a mare at Lords!

Comments

• Yep, 39-1 overnight becomes 39-4 and then 47-5. At least we've rallied a bit to 81-5.
    The bowlers must be sick, not only are they needed to score runs at the lower end of the order but they're under pressure to get wickets to restrict the Pakistani's score...
    All we're doing is proving Ricky Ponting right that our batting line up is brittle!
  • Don't worry, the taxi drivers are shite, the east end cockneys will thump them...
  • Broady ton. Get in there!
  • What a fantastic day of cricket.
    Pakistan were all over us for the first half of the day - England reduced to 102 for 7
    We're all over them for the second half - at stumps England 346 for 7 with Trott 149 n/o Broad 125 n/o. Unbroken partnership of 244.

I love this game.

:-)
  • [cite]Posted By: lordromford[/cite]What a fantastic day of cricket.
    Pakistan were all over us for the first half of the day - England reduced to 102 for 7
    We're all over them for the second half - at stumps England 346 for 7 with Trott 149 n/o Broad 125 n/o. Unbroken partnership of 244.

I love this game.

Agreed. Anyone who thinks 20/20 is better than test cricket needs their head unscrewing, brain scooped out, replaced with mashed potatoes and screwing back on.
  • Leroy spot on test cricket is the pinnacle in my opinion, I had a half day today and spent my arvo watching my girls do drawing on a big ol sheet of banner I got from work and watching trotter and broad really upsset the pakistanis after they smashed us in the maunch session!! awesome cricket awesome test match cricket love it
  • I prefer a flan.
  • Test. Rickety OS great off today too as its my daughters first bday had some friends and family round and all the bloke ended up front ing the tell watching the test on between garden cricket.
  • I love test cricket, savour the number 9 getting a ton at Lords, doesn't happen that often. Basically tomorrow, feet up, test match all day, lovely.
  • Amazed we keep finding the players to pull it out of the bag when others are all at sea.

Still reckon we'll spank the ozzies.
  • Sponsored links:

• Hope your right Carly got kids party tomorrow so won't get to see much but then I'm there Sunday. Take my radio have s few beers and some nice food
  • [cite]Posted By: CHG[/cite]I love test cricket, savour the number 9 getting a ton at Lords, doesn't happen that often.

Not since 1966...and only the third time that an England #9 has scored a Test hundred.

As Broad walked out to bat I thought this would be a good day to score your 1,000th Test run...only to see him go whizzing past that and break a couple more records on the way.
  • [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: lordromford[/cite]What a fantastic day of cricket.

I love this game.

Agreed. Anyone who thinks 20/20 is better than test cricket needs their head unscrewing, brain scooped out, replaced with mashed potatoes and screwing back on.

Mmmmm! Mashed potatoes! *licks lips*

I have to say though, I'm a fan of 20 20 too. It's great entertainment.
    I think it's important that traditional cricket lovers remember that they're different games. The basic rules and principles may be the same (ie score more runs than the other side etc) but the tactics, mentality and required skills are almost unbelievably different.
    I'd agree that Test cricket is better (maybe that's the purist in me) but 20 20 and, for that matter, one day cricket are more than welcome additions to the game in my book - and that's before you even get into considering the appeal it holds for kids.
  • Test cricket is what elevates us above the animals in my opinion. Also be VERY wary of a nation that does not get cricket......AND some that do of course ! Tally Ho
  • what a great game this is, made to follow on and 7-1 still 365 behind
  • [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]what a great game this is, made to follow on and 7-1 still 365 behind

Takes Broad to 97 Test wickets.

Could he get his 100th Test wicket and 1,000th test run in the same match?
  • This is proper test cricket, we have been a tad fortunate with the weather but Broad and Swann have bowled brilliantly.

Trott had to really dig in when he came to the crease and got his reward.

We look half decent, Swann is excellent on any pitch with a bit of turn. Test cricket is the absolute peak in my eyes for a cricketer. 20/20 is good fun but really is cricket for idiots
  • All forms of the game are great as far as I am concerned, what a fantastic performance today.
  • What's this...?

Pakistani players being questioned over betting scandal...?

Tut, tut, tut...
  • [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]What's this...?

Pakistani players being questioned over betting scandal...?

Tut, tut, tut...

Those no balls were shocking , I mean his front foot was a country mile over, 18 year old kid as well, just so shameful that sport gets so corrupted like this
    Apparently someone(maybe a player) has been lead away from the pakistani hotel by police just now
  • Sponsored links:

• If any element of this turns out to be true he should be outcast from all forms of the game.

This is going to be dank
  • Sunday paper headline: 'Pakistan in cheating shocker'

So corrupt it's unreal!! Not the first time either, those no balls were atrocious!! I hope we skittle the cheating slags in the morning session!!

Was having a chat with a mate at work when Pakistan were playing that 2 test series in Aus recently, I think at one point it looked as tho they could get something out of one of the Tests, and we both agreed that we'd rather Pakistan wouldn't win even tho it was against old enemy the sly old convicts! At the time I think afidi was captain too, and he is a real piece of work, biting the ball all sorts of cheaty horrible underhand slaggy stuff!! That Amir really is a find for them, he is the real deal, but they will never get rid of the cheating element of there culture!!

I am going to eat some coco pops to cool down!! cheats, worst kind of scum in my opinion!
  • Blimey, that was an awkward awards ceremony.
    When Amir won the Pakistan Man of the Series award, the official (Giles Clarke) wouldn't shake his hand, pose for a photo or even look him in the eye.
    And all done indoors - away from the proles...
  • edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: lordromford[/cite]
    When Amir won the Pakistan Man of the Series award, the official (Giles Clarke) wouldn't shake his hand, pose for a photo or even look him in the eye.

I took 60-1 on that happening. Tidy!
  • This stinks

Michael Holding was almost in tears when he was going over how Amir is such a talent and has been suckered in at such a young age

Ian Botham looked like he was about to vomit blood

Giles Clarke looked rightly revolted. For all the old tie brigade stuff that gets hurled at the ECB I do not think any of our players would get involved in something like this and if they did they would be outcast from the game
  • edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]This stinks

Michael Holding was almost in tears when he was going over how Amir is such a talent and has been suckered in at such a young age

Ian Botham looked like he was about to vomit blood

Giles Clarke looked rightly revolted. For all the old tie brigade stuff that gets hurled at the ECB I do not think any of our players would get involved in something like this and if they did they would be outcast from the game
    Happens all the time on the subcontinent. The IPL is just a front for massive betting fraud - the gambling industry over there is so unregulated it's frightening. Far be it from me to play devil's advocate but, to some degree, I sympathise with Angus Porter's view earlier that the younger players are, to an extent, 'bullied' into it. I know the knee-jerk reaction is to state that the Pakistan team have got 'previous' for it, and that there should be no excuse for tampering with the integrity of the sport in this way, but think about it from Amir's point of view. He's just a kid, been brought into the team at a very early age and is surrounded by ne'erdowells - including many of his teammates and dozens of 'hangers on' - telling him that 'everybody does it' and 'it's just an easy way to pick up money' and 'it doesn't affect the outcome of the game'. Not making excuses for him, just putting a point of view across. Asif and anyone else who's been in the team for years needs banning for life - but I think banning Amir for life would be a bit harsh.

What this should do is make the ICC take a long, hard look at Pakistan's continued membership. They've regularly been caught outright cheating (Afridi's ball and pitch-tampering, the stink around Bob Woolmer's death, steroids, plenty of unproven allegations surrounding past match-fixing etc. etc.) and just cry 'racism' every time they're caught doing something that's against the spirit of the game or downright illegal. The ICC need to tell them in no uncertain terms to get their house in order - they're so disorganised that they can't even get their own country secure enough to play tests in, let alone organise any sort of an education program for their young cricketers.

The whole thing stinks - and makes a mockery of one of the last bastions of 'real' sportsmanship. Only the other day I was remarking on how refreshing it was to see a Pakistani fielder (can't remember who it was) not claiming a catch because he wasn't sure whether it was a bump ball. Sad.
  • Hard to disagree with Leroy.

Makes a change :-)
  • edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Hard to disagree with Leroy.

Makes a change :-)
    Either I'm mellowing... or you're going senile :o)
  • Bloody cheating foreigners, why don't they just stick to ball tampering like us English...
  • Got to agree with everything Leroy says.

It's a shame though because Amir is such a great talent, youngest bowler ever to reach 50 test wickets (he was only 18, four months ago) so it'd be extremely harsh for him to be banned for life. Especially when before one ball his captain even went over to have a word with him (ie. tell him to bowl a no ball).