Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

LED TV. Does anyone have one?

I'm looking at buying a 40"-42" TV and I am really tempted to go the whole hog and splurge on a LED rather than a LCD or Plasma. Are LED TV's worth the extra expense?

Does anyone have one and are they worth it?

Comments

• Options
    In a word - no
  • Options
    No you don't have one or no you don't think they are worth the money?
  • Options
    I'm interested in this 40-40, that would be cool having a square tele ;-) Well until the films came on.
  • Options
    Sorry, 40"-42".
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]No you don't have one or no you don't think they are worth the money?
    Both. Bought a couple for the office a while back (at the time they were the largest you could get in the UK - 50") and they look OK, but no better than a Plasma of the same size. Thinner - which helps if you've got a weak wall to install them on! - and have better viewing angles (so if you sit at a 45 degree angle you'll get a better picture) but other than that, no difference in quality. We're replacing the 65" Plasmas in our boardroom with the new Samsung 65" LEDs - but that's because our company pisses money up the wall on AV stuff, not because they;re any better quality (IMHO)
  • Options
    Thanks Leroy. I Have to admit to being very impressed with the thin stylish look but wondered wether it's worth the extra expense, the quality of the picture and what peoples experiences of the technology were that interested me. That said they are dropping in price so quickly I think I might just buy a LCD/plasma and wait for them to get below £400.
  • Options
    Had an LED at work - better than the plasma but if it was my money I wouldnt consider the marginal benefits worth the extra dosh.

Why not get a smaller TV and sit closer to it?
  • Options
    Had an LED at work - better than the plasma but if it was my money I wouldnt consider the marginal benefits worth the extra dosh.

Why not get a smaller TV and sit closer to it?
  • Options
    My dad has a 42" Samsung LED and I have a Tosh LCD. I must say the picture quality on the LCD is much better and it does look slick.

However I agree with the others, not worth the extra dosh for a thin TV, I mean you dont sit looking at the side do you!

Toshiba and Sony are the best on LCD TV's, always come top two in What Magazine
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: robroy[/cite]My dad has a 42" Samsung LED and I have a Tosh LCD. I must say the picture quality on the LCD is much better and it does look slick.

However I agree with the others, not worth the extra dosh for a thin TV, I mean you dont sit looking at the side do you!

Disagree with you there. We've got two 65" Sharp LCDs for videoconferencing - they knock any other screen I've seen into a cocked hat for quality.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have a Samsung 40" LED tv and it looks really good. I've not compared it much to other TV's myself but people do say it looks better than their LCD. What you have to realise it that the difference between a LED and LCD tv is the back light. One has LED's and one has light tubes, the bit that gives you the colours is the same technology between both types.

What is more important than which TV is how you set it up.
  • Options
    Just blow the budget and get a 3d tv.

You have to sit in the house wearing silly goggles (and buy enough for the whole family). But it is worth it if you watch Avatar all day!!

Seriously though 3D is good but not practical.

Sorry that wasnt really much help!!
  • Options
    Curries are doing good deals this bank holiday weekend. £200 off an LG 42 inch now £649. Seen it for £600 on amazon though. LG 42LE5300 if your interested.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: robroy[/cite]My dad has a 42" Samsung LED and I have a Tosh LCD. I must say the picture quality on the LCD is much better and it does look slick.

Disagree with you there. We've got two 65" Sharp LCDs for videoconferencing - they knock any other screen I've seen into a cocked hat for quality.

Blimey it would be cheaper to fly to meetings wouldn't it ;-)
  • Options
    Thanks for you comments, some very help opinions there. I have noticed that the prices of the LED's are falling very quickly, i know Richer sounds are selling a sharpe LED for under £600 now but that compares to under £400 for the LCD equivalent.

I shall continue to shop around but I will bare your thoughts in mind.