Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Sun vs Football365

edited August 2010 in General Charlton
I don't know if anyone else ever goes on the Football365 website, I find it generally quite funny, but I found something on there today that I thought was worth sharing. I also don't know (Yes, my knowledge is somewhat lacking) what people made of Mr Cappello's performance at the World Cup but personally I found the villainising/scapegoating of him to be 'slightly' OTT. I also do not think much of the Sun, so I thought I would share this open letter with Lifers:

'Dear The Sun,

This is just getting silly. Nay, it has gone beyond silliness. It's now offensive, objectionable and toxic.

Today, a story appears as the back page lead of your newspaper criticising Fabio Capello's England team selection for the upcoming Euro 2012 qualifiers, before Capello has even made this selection.

Shaun Custis writes: 'Donkey Fabio Capello has stuck a hoof into England's brave new world - after just one game.

'The gormless Italian vowed to rebuild after our World Cup debacle by bringing in young players.

'But the silly ass has ruled Arsenal whizkid Jack Wilshere, 18, out of next month's vital Euro qualifiers.'

This is written under the headline 'Jackass picks just Cap it all', with a pair of donkey ears super-imposed on Capello's head in the accompanying picture.

'Jackass'. 'Silly ass'. 'Gormless'. Is this really what journalism has come to? Is this really what you want to be doing?

And what is the basis of The Sun's latest attack? The omission of 'whizkid' Wilshere, who apparently earned 'rave reviews' for his two - two - starts for Arsenal so far.

Whoever was doing this 'raving', it wasn't The Sun. Wilshere didn't warrant a mention in the paper's report of Arsenal's 6-0 win over Blackpool, while the best thing the paper could say about his performance against Liverpool (in a report written by Custis) was that he will 'grow in confidence the more games he plays', before awarding him five out of ten for his showing.

The other justification for insulting one of the most successful managers in the game is the omission of Andy Carroll, a player with eight Premier League starts to his name.

Truly, do you believe this to be justification for such descriptions as 'jackass', 'silly ass' and 'gormless', or whatever else you will be calling Capello next time?

We appreciate the consistency of The Sun's view. The Custis article is the latest in a relentless campaign waged by The Sun to remove Capello from the England job.

But is this really helping? Is this type of name-calling based on such flimsy matters, appropriate? Criticism is fine, but the Custis diatribe could never be described as 'constructive'. It is, in our humble opinion, a new low. Perhaps for backpage tabloid journalism, perhaps for The Sun, perhaps even for old-fashioned debate and discussion. Either way, it's as low as we can remember.

Football365 has largely backed Capello, but even we agree that he has made mistakes, particularly in South Africa. However, we have not forgotten his success at club level, and that he guided England through a near-flawless qualification campaign for the World Cup.

Nor do we know of an English manager who we believe will be a better man for the job. As for the 'rip it up and start again' approach, it is far too simplistic. The assumption that because the current crop of players failed, the next generation will automatically be better, is horribly - and probably fatally - flawed.

Our fear is that this campaign is being waged not because the tabloid press truly believe that Capello is in the wrong, or that ignoring Wilshere and Carroll makes him a donkey, but largely out of spite because they didn't get their way after the summer and he stayed on.

We invite Custis, or indeed anyone from The Sun, to write to Football365 to justify this latest article, and indeed their continuing stance. And we promise to publish their right of reply.

Regards,

Football365'

Comments

• Options
    One newscorp company backbiting at another
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Both owned by Murdoch, The Sun wouldn't do badly getting a few 365 writers on board but then again they may be a bit too rational to sell "newspapers"
  • Options
    I read this and was quite intersted. I can't stand the Sun so i admit that i am baised on this but i just don't undertsand how they get away with such personal abuse?

If the article mentioned isn't something which crosses the link then i really struggle to understand what isn't acceptable content.
  • Options
    I think quite a few of the players mentioned have been called up to the U21's, so they will not be able to play in the qualifier, but I do find tabloid journos are way too abusive and full of their own self importance, having seen how one well known tabloid hack behaved at Euro 2000 It would be interesting if someone did a piece on them, of course that will never happen, but it would be fun.
    With regard to Andy Carroll and Jack Wilshire, surely we cannot pick someone based on one game, as seems to be happening with Carroll and Jack WIlshire needs to play a bit more before playing for England, U21 is the best way forward in the short term for thee too.
    Cappello deserves some stick for the World Cup, but our hacks seem to go way too personal.
  • Options
    Sums up what I thought when I saw the article.
  • Options
    If Andy Carroll is the answer, I'd hate to see the question
  • Options
    I think Fabio should sue The Sun for defamation of character.
  • Options
    Maybe the News Corp 'journalists' are trying to lay the foundation for a story about a 'debate' or 'media storm'.

You never know it may all be written by the same person.

Glad to know, football 365 is owned by News Corp as I can avoid it now.