Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Parkinson's Man Management Of Chris Solly

edited August 2010 in General Charlton
Man of the match against Bouremouth and then gets dropped for the Orient game.
Scores in the Orient game and then isn't even used off the bench agaist Oldham.
This can't be doing his confidence any good at all. I could understand if we were playing really well against Oldham but we weren't.

Comments

• Options
    Must be hard for him, and I was surprised he didn't start at Orient, but he'll get his chances this season and it wasn't the obvious move to exchange right backs v Oldham. Clearly Parky rates Francis highly and currently favours him as his right back but he's also spoken very highly of Solly. His time will come.
  • Options
    He's not the first, and prob not the last, manager to do this............

I remember Curbs (bow, tug my forlock) doing the exact same thing to Steve Jones - came off the bench away at Man City and scored two goals to grab us a point, and then left on the bench again for the following match (think we had Bradley Allen & mark Bright up top)
  • Options
    i'm sure i read somewhere that parky said solly wasn't 100% fit for the orient game. i think he went with experience for the oldham game, knowing it would be tight and physical. i'm sure Solly will get plenty of games this season.
  • Options
    It's only bad man management if he's not communicating the why's and wherefors to Solly. I assume that due to the fact they spend 4+ hours a day together every week day, and probably more than that on match days, that they do talk from time to time. It's impossible to say whether it's good or bad man management without knowing more than just team selection, and to infer otherwise is really looking for fault where there is none I think. Players are dropped all the time, players go through spells in and out of the team. If they aren't mentally strong enough to accept that then really that is there problem. not the managers. As long as Solly is told what he needs to do to command that spot then there isn't a problem
  • Options
    stinks in my opinion.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]stinks in my opinion.

LOL, why doesn't that surprise me :-)
  • Options
    It was implied yesterday at the EGM that a few players took pay cuts as large as 50% to work under Parky, said all I needed to hear.
  • Options
    Parky said after the Orient game that Solly played 90 minutes against Bournemouth and Shrewsbury so he thought he needed a rest. We know that Francis is going to be first choice right back but just because he didnt come on against Oldham doesnt mean it's bad man management. Parky knows that he's got a good player on his hands but he's only young and wont play a lot this season. But it's great to know that if Francis does pick up an injury/suspension, we have a very capable replacement as he showed on the opening day.
  • Options
    We used to have another young chap who couldn't get a game and we sold him for £1.7m.

He still can't get a game though.
  • Options

Yes but in your opinion we'd have Basey and Solly as our full backs, Stavrinou, Arter and Josh Wright in midfield and Tamer Tuna and James Walker leading the attack.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: CHG[/cite]It was implied yesterday at the EGM that a few players took pay cuts as large as 50% to work under Parky, said all I needed to hear.
    Was it said if they were signings (we know Reid said he had bigger offers) and/or players signing new contracts? (eg Solly, Waggy and Dailly)
  • Options
    I blame our rotational system, it will pay dividends when we get to the knock out stage of the Champions league.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: CHG[/cite]It was implied yesterday at the EGM that a few players took pay cuts as large as 50% to work under Parky, said all I needed to hear.
    Was it said if they were signings (we know Reid said he had bigger offers) and/or players signing new contracts? (eg Solly, Waggy and Dailly)

Either way they still wanted to work with Parky.
  • Options
    Dont ask me i have no opinion on this
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CHG[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]

Either way they still wanted to work with Parky.

It was Reid, Doc and Jackson.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]

Yes but in your opinion we'd have Basey and Solly as our full backs, Stavrinou, Arter and Josh Wright in midfield and Tamer Tuna and James Walker leading the attack.

now you are being silly. Of those quoted I'd have Solly ahead of Francis and maybe Basey at LB if it meant Jackson replacing Racon in midfield.
    [cite]Posted By: Crispy[/cite]Parky said after the Orient game that Solly played 90 minutes against Bournemouth and Shrewsbury so he thought he needed a rest.

got a rest, didn't play at Orient. Francis did and badly. Solly should have come back in against Oldham.
    [cite]Posted By: Crispy[/cite]We know that Francis is going to be first choice right back

why ? Surely if someone is playing better than you, whatever their age and experience, they should get the nod.
  • Options
    Playing youngsters always has to be carefully managed. Play them too much and you risk limiting their ling-term career or putting too mcuh pressure on them. Play them to little and you risk damaging their confidence. However, I think acepting you wont play every game is a lesson which needs learning by most youngsters.

I think Solly will get more chances and they wont risk too much damage either way.
  • Options
    It's too early to say whether Parky has been wrong in preferring Francis over Solly since the Shrewsbury game. How anyone can say it was the wrong decision in the Orient game, when Francis set up the first goal and Solly scored the last is beyond me. We won the game so it was a good decision.

You can't drop a player after one bad game, else we wouldn't be able to put a full XI out after a game we've lost. I would also hasten to add that I think Francis has been nowhere near as bad as others on here think. A few sloppy passes, but no own goals, red cards or putting an opposition striker through on goal.

I can accept that it may be a little harsh on Solly after his showing against Bournemouth, but we've hardly struggled since and it's unfair to say that it's poor man management, as Randy Andy pointed out very well above.
  • Options
    Francis is still new to the team and so is many others, this will always take time to gel as a team. Some take longer than others. However, individual errors and performances good or bad is down to the player and Solly played really well against Bournemouth and also played 90 minutes at Shrewsbury. He is only a young lad so 3 full games in just less than a week this early in a season is a bit much, dont you think?

As far as i can see, man management from Parky towards Solly has been fine, he praised him when he done well and explained why he was left out of the starting XI against Orient. Solly will get plenty of chances throughout this season which will do his confidence the world of good. Performances from everyone in the team, including Francis and Solly will improve as the season goes on.

Francis at times has been a little sloppy, especially that back pass on Saturday where the Oldham striker nearly got through, but Elliot got their first, but other than that as far as i'm concerned, he's been quite solid. He has more experience obviously than Solly does and is a well established right-back at league one level, been proven with Southend of course.

Let Parky choose the team and trust it, he is the person who is with them every day, watching them train. At the end of the day, he knows them a lot better than us.
  • Options
    I agree - Solly is close to the team and will keep competition for places honest. We need to see Francis over more games but Parky knows what he is doing. At this level I think he feels height across the back is important and that's something Francis has over Solley. Solley hasn't rocked the boat and good for him -great prospect for us. First post on Charlton Life having defected from 606 - Nick Gray's negativity has driven me away!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Parky seems to have no trouble getting players that played for him previously to sign for us, including Reid and Jackson who both took pay cuts (Henry said so) to join us, and both had existing contracts so could have stayed where they were on more money.
  • Options
    Im sure he knows what he is doing
  • Options
    Welcome to the site Muttley.
  • Options
    Thanks
  • Options
    There's only ever 11 players make the first team. Part of being a professional is knowing that you won't always be in that first eleven. I'm sure Solly is man enough to understand that, and I'm sure Parky is manager enough to explain his selections to everyone in the squad. I don't think we should go looking for problems where there aren't any; life's hard enough as it is.
  • Options
    you are safe from silent pr ick gray here there are some followers of his drivel but not many

welcome and dont buy the drivel about a clique on here it is normally very open for good debate
  • Options
    Hi Mutts, CAFC Sam here ;)

I see you've been driven away too, I'm currently posting on both but here is much more lively!

On the subject of Francis/Solly, Francis was POTY for Southend last season, and provides height and composure, but Solly is a hot prospect, and hasn't really put a foot wrong imo. As I understand it Parky didn't want Solly to play 270 minutes in 6 days, which is perfectly reasonable
  • Options
    welcome muttley
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]welcome and dont buy the drivel about a clique on here it is normally very open for good debate

Welcome, Muttley.

And a warm invitation to join my own clique.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]welcome and dont buy the drivel about a clique on here it is normally very open for good debate

Welcome, Muttley.

And a warm invitation to join my own clique.

Stay away from him muttley he's nothing but trouble. Oh and his mate speedy dazzler21 ;-)