Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Benson Deal Done - Rumoured

edited August 2010 in General Charlton
Don't shoot the messenger, been a target for a while and we've had a few bids knocked back.

£230,000 I've been told, should be announced today

Comments

• Options
    I'd be absolutely stunned if we have paid £230,000.
  • Options
    This was reported in today's Sun so we'll shoot them instead.
  • Options
    Really hope this isnt true.

£230,000 to still need a nippy channel running striker.... great....
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]This was reported in today's Sun so we'll shoot them instead.
    The same Sun that made Simon Francis MOM?
  • Options
    The Sun?

Must be gospel then!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: D_F_T[/cite]The Sun?

Must be gospel then!

I'm not saying it is but they've reported exactly you've said, so if you/your source are correct then someone at the Sun must know something.
  • Options
    At 30 and having never played in League 1 is he worth 230k ? I would have thought that if we spent that much, which I very much doubt, it would be on a younger player with re-sale potential which Benson doesn't have.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Waste of money that i am afraid

i stand to be proved wrong but today i am sad if this is true and if it dont work and quickly the mgrs head may well roll this season

There had to be better than him out there he hasnt even had a shot in anger so far this season according to my daggers pal in the office

to quote him either you lot of turned his head or he is just out of his depth i am praying for the 1st option if we have spent that money on him

Oh well we will have to wait and see i dont know where he will fit or instead of who

Parkies choices

Drop Abbot play Benno (dont think this will happen)

Drop Waggy play Martin Wide put benno up with Abbot (This for me will happen)

Drop Reid for Martin put benno up with Abbot (dont think this will happen)

Big decisions ahead one things for sure if we have paid that money Benson will play
  • Options
    So far I've been pleased with our signings.

Another big striker , why ?

Could the £230,000 be dependent on promotion , appearances and goals etc ?

I guess in Parky we must trust.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    http://daggers.ytfc.com/daggers.mpl?id=164824

On a Dagenham forum yesterday
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Waste of money that i am afraid

i stand to be proved wrong but today i am sad if this is true and if it dont work and quickly the mgrs head may well roll this season

There had to be better than him out there he hasnt even had a shot in anger so far this season according to my daggers pal in the office

to quote him either you lot of turned his head or he is just out of his depth i am praying for the 1st option if we have spent that money on him

Oh well we will have to wait and see i dont know where he will fit or instead of who

Parkies choices

Drop Abbot play Benno(dont think this will happen)

Drop Waggy play Martin Wide put benno up with Abbot(This for me will happen)

Drop Reid for Martin put benno up with Abbot (dont think this will happen)

Big decisions ahead one things for sure if we have paid that money Benson will play

OR............drop Racon who doesn't look like he wants to be here, and play Martin in midfield behind a front 2 of Abbott and Benson.
  • Options
    But then you will need to drop one of Semedo/McCormack...
  • Options
    sounds too much money to me. Especially when we need a pacey striker to play off the last defenders shoulder!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Racon is not 1st choice though buddy and i cant see us dropping Semedo (unless he is gone) or Mac

has to be a wide player for Benno IMO and i can see it being Waggy Not my choice by the way but the only one i can see Parky making
  • Options
    This signing doesn't excite me. The wrong player imo.
  • Options
    We are crying out for a goalscorer , i hope he is the answer!
  • Options
    It'll be hard on whoever gets dropped but we need competition for places and the squad needs strengthening so this would be a welcome addition. I still think we're two perm players and a few loans short of what we need for the season but Parky has done well so far so I'll trust him on Benson.
  • Options
    A number of people on here seem underwhelmed by this signing and are already criticising. How many of you have even seen him play?
    It would seem that Benson is Parky's number 1 transfer target, he's been after him all summer and we're pushing the boat out to get him. Therefore i'm pretty sure Parky and Charlton have scouted him for some time and seem certain he can do a job for us and know his strengths and weaknesses.
    Yet some are already writing him off just because he's never played at this level before.
  • Options
    I think we need to chill on this. If it's true then let's at least have a look at the bloke before we decide it's bad money spent. Agree it seems a lot but not confirmed by OS is it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]I'd be absolutely stunned if we have paid £230,000.
    My thoughts exactly.
  • Options
    Benson is a box player. Poacher who can create his own chances. My concern is the fact that we are still not creating a lot of chances. If he hits the ground running then the fee will be justified, if as I suspect might happen, he doesnt fit our style of play, the habit of going missing that NLA refers to could quickly see him become a scape goat.
  • Options
    Mate i have watched him atleast 10 times last season and he was not very good at all he scored 3 times in those games and was annonimous for the rest of it

he is not in the mould of what we need according to virtually everyone on here

I have watched the daggers a fair bit over the last 3 seasons and i work with a mad Dagger who rates Benson but even he doesnt think he would be good enough for a team challenging to go up
  • Options
    Wow, 250 for a 30 year old??
  • Options
    Its just that, if the reported fee is acurate, its nothing short of a massive sum for a club in our financial situation.

If it works out, Benson nets 20 odd goals, and we get promoted because of it, then fine. Good deal.

I just feel that 230k is a massive, and unnessescary, risk on a player of his age and record.
  • Options
    If he scores the goals to get us up which I think he will then surely he is worth 230,000.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    People go on about a quick striker, it is something I'd like us to have as an option, but where do you find a good one at this level? Dickson, McLeod and Fleetwood were all quick and signed while in higher divisions, but all had big weaknesses in their game. They either didn't have a good enough all round game, the finishing to go with it, or the brain to use their pace.

Where do you find someone quick, but not too small and/or weak, a good finisher, hard working and able to keep possession. Last season showed how hard it is to find a quick goalscorer, most of the top goalscorers in League One were big strong strikers. Beckford had pace but he is also 6 ft 2 and now in the Premier League. Simeon Jackson was one of the pacey type but Norwich would have paid good money for him.

Another thing why do we assume Benson is slow but strong and plays with his back to goal? Big doesn't always mean he plays like a targetman.

Not saying he's the right signing but very few know much about him, me included.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    A) There is absolutely no chance of us paying £230,000 for anyone at the moment, let alone a League 2 player who has only just got promoted to League 1
    B) This is a rumour so we haven't actually signed him yet
    C) Don't believe anything until it's on the OS
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Mate i have watched him atleast 10 times last season and he was not very good at all he scored 3 times in those games and was annonimous for the rest of it

he is not in the mould of what we need according to virtually everyone on here

I have watched the daggers a fair bit over the last 3 seasons and i work with a mad Dagger who rates Benson but even he doesnt think he would be good enough for a team challenging to go up

Fair enough, but i think we should still trust Parky on this one.

Do we know if the 230k fee is true as well?
    I'd also be surprised if the fee was as much as this. More likely to be 100-150k up front then add ons if we make the play offs, get promotion etc.
  • Options
    For 230k we could get someone a lot better, i'd love to be proved wrong though. For not much more, sure we couldve got le fondre