Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jason lee

2»

Comments

• Options
    I never, never leave early but this was one game where I couldn't see us getting it back, lo and behold heard the
    roar for both goals on my way back to the car....Dammit!!
  • Options
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Mentions of the 4-4 draw at Norwich remind me - I vividly recall another belter of a game against the Canaries at home on Boxing Day, 1968. We were 0-3 down and managed to claw our way back to 3-3 attacking the Covered End with goals from Harry Gregory, Gordon Bolland, and an o.g. Kevin Keelan was in goal for Norwich. And Gordon Bolland almost grabbed a dramatic late winner.

• Options
    CafcJay said:

Christ.Lee AND Leaburn scoring in the same match???

Where the hell was i when this happened!!

Can't remembering Christ making too many appearances. Mind you we could have done with his help on a few occasions.
  • Options

CafcJay said:

Can't remembering Christ making too many appearances. Mind you we could have done with his help on a few occasions.
    He was great at crosses...goals were nailed on!!

;-)
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

CafcJay said:

;-)
    I set them up, you knock them in...
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

CafcJay said:

;-)
    Christ was indeed good at crosses - he was a Revelation, you might say....

• Options
    brilliant stig.
  • Options

Mentions of the 4-4 draw at Norwich remind me - I vividly recall another belter of a game against the Canaries at home on Boxing Day, 1968. We were 0-3 down and managed to claw our way back to 3-3 attacking the Covered End with goals from Harry Gregory, Gordon Bolland, and an o.g. Kevin Keelan was in goal for Norwich. And Gordon Bolland almost grabbed a dramatic late winner.

Remember, that game, VF. Boxing Day 1967, actually.

0-2 in the first 11 minutes, 0-3 after 51 minutes, and looking like no way back.

Mike Kenning, sold by Charlton to Norwich for £25,000 the previous season, sent over a glorious centre which wrongfooted the entire Charlton defence for Manning to head their first;
    then scored himself for their 2nd with a piledriver on the run, and having a field day against our dozy lot.

With the crowd finally roaring us on, Gordon Bolland (signed from Norwich just a few weeks before), scored against his old club after 65 mins to give us a glimmer of hope. We were still losing 1-3 with 5 mins to go, when a Norwich defender sliced the ball past his own keeper. Harry Gregory made it 3-3 on 88 minutes.

Jubilant Harry raced over the line after scoring and shook hands with a policeman!
    As you say, VF - with almost the last kick of the game and the chance to make a famous comeback, Bolland turned in the box, and the Norwich keeper just about scrambled his shot to safety.

It was what we used to call in those days, a "Grandstand Finish".

As was often the norm around Christmas in those days, we played Norwich on their patch, just 4 days later.
    Gordon Bolland played the Old Boy card again, putting us ahead against his old club, but we had to be content with a point from a 1-1 draw.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Remember, that game, VF. Boxing Day 1967, actually.

0-2 in the first 11 minutes, 0-3 after 51 minutes, and looking like no way back.

Mike Kenning, sold by Charlton to Norwich for £25,000 the previous season, sent over a glorious centre which wrongfooted the entire Charlton defence for Manning to head their first;
    then scored himself for their 2nd with a piledriver on the run, and having a field day against our dozy lot.

With the crowd finally roaring us on, Gordon Bolland (signed from Norwich just a few weeks before), scored against his old club after 65 mins to give us a glimmer of hope. We were still losing 1-3 with 5 mins to go, when a Norwich defender sliced the ball past his own keeper. Harry Gregory made it 3-3 on 88 minutes.

Jubilant Harry raced over the line after scoring and shook hands with a policeman!
    As you say, VF - with almost the last kick of the game and the chance to make a famous comeback, Bolland turned in the box, and the Norwich keeper just about scrambled his shot to safety.

It was what we used to call in those days, a "Grandstand Finish".

As was often the norm around Christmas in those days, we played Norwich on their patch, just 4 days later.
    Gordon Bolland played the Old Boy card again, putting us ahead against his old club, but we had to be content with a point from a 1-1 draw.

What a fantastic memory you've got, Oggy - or perhaps copious notes and files of cuttings! Love your memory of a jubilant Harry Gregory shaking hands with a copper! I was a young lad, and in only my second season of watching football, down at the front in the Covered End; heart-stopping drama like that against Norwich stays with you for ever....

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Thank you, Mr Viewfinder!

It's a strange thing - generally I can remember loads of stuff from the games I watched when I was young, but many of the later matches all seem to blur together(!). But of course, it's the dramatic games that stick.

That Boxing Day match v Norwich City I do have a short newspaper cutting, with which I checked some of the detail where it's given. It's funny though, I can still see in my mind's eye Mike Kenning making a piercing run wide right towards the Open End and floating over that cross for Norwich's first, and how quick he was to get to a loose ball first and thunder it into the net from outside the box. But then he was an ex-Charlton player so you tend to look out for them during matches.

Also remember my Dad saying at half time, "Mike Kenning's having a field day out there".
    No idea what it meant at the time but included it in my post above.

I've no recollection of Bolland's goal for our first - but vividly remember his chance scrambled away that could have made it 4-3 in the final minute.

Harry Gregory was always emotional and theatrical, you'll remember.
    But celebrating a goal by shaking hands with a copper? I'd never seen that before or since!

But it's what stays with you for a lifetime.

• Options

Jason Lee: Former footballer says David Baddiel apology 'meant a lot'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-63722482
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    he can't expect "Jews don't count" to have any impact if he doesn't apologise for being a massive fucking racist to Jason Lee

prick
  • Options
    he can't expect "Jews don't count" to have any impact if he doesn't apologise for being a massive fucking racist to Jason Lee

prick
    Eh?

He has apologised hasn’t he?
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Still ain't heard Baddiel apologise to Anne Diamond for labelling her as Anne 'cot death' Diamond. Once a prick always a prick.
  • Options

prick
    Eh?

he has, that  was meant to read "if he hadnt apologised"

hes still a prick
  • Options
    To me it goes to show that everyone has the capacity to be racist or homophobic under the guise of "a joke" or "banter" and they don't realise what it means until it happens to them. 
  • Options

prick
    Eh?

he has, that  was meant to read "if he hadnt apologised"

hes still a prick
    Oh I see. Fair dos. 👍🏼
  • Options
    edited November 2022

prick

I get your point about "Jews don't Count" Dave BUT: 

I'm pleased he apologized directly to Lee, eventually as Jason was upset and it impacted his life.

Did you think that at the time ?
    Did you think Jim Davidson was a racist with his 'mate Chalky' impressions ?

Did you laugh at David Walliams and Matt Lucas Characters when they couldn't understand the Indian lady despite her perfect English ?

Did you laugh at the old lady (Walliams) when she let go a torrent of piss in the super market ?

All jokes are at someone's expense.

The only acceptable jokes now are Tory politicians until Labour become the Government.

Hopefully I'm not a hypocrite but I remember feeling uneasy with the Jason Lee sketch, more from the bullying point of view, rather than any racist connection.

Did you hear the one about an Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman... 

• Sponsored links:

• Options

prick

I get your point about "Jews don't Count" Dave BUT: 

I'm pleased he apologized directly to Lee, eventually as Jason was upset and it impacted his life.

Did you think that at the time ?
    Did you think Jim Davidson was a racist with his 'mate Chalky' impressions ?

Did you laugh at David Walliams and Matt Lucas Characters when they couldn't understand the Indian lady despite her perfect English ?

Did you laugh at the old lady (Walliams) when she let go a torrent of piss in the super market ?

All jokes are at someone's expense.

The only acceptable jokes now are Tory politicians until Labour become the Government.

Hopefully I'm not a hypocrite but I remember feeling uneasy with the Jason Lee sketch, more from the bullying point of view, rather than any racist connection.

Did you hear the one about an Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman... 

I totally agree with this bit.  
  • Options
    David Seaman had remarkable hair back in the day, but Baddiel didn’t mock it.
    Baddiel has never actually been funny, he trades on confidence and a kind of faux intellect and his delivery is such that an audience thinks ‘that’s clever I ought to laugh’ rather than an honest visceral reaction to something genuinely amusing.
    Blacking up as Jason Lee was a racist action in my opinion.
  • Options
    Let me apologise so that people can't spin my documentary back at me. 
  • Options
    To me it goes to show that everyone has the capacity to be racist or homophobic under the guise of "a joke" or "banter" and they don't realise what it means until it happens to them. 
    I’d say it’s more changing attitude towards this stuff. I don’t reckon 90s me would see the problem with it but I do now.  

As for Baddiel, he’s sincerely apologised, Lee is happy with it, he can still be a prick of course but I don’t think it discredits his Jews don’t count writing.