Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Simon Francis

edited August 2010 in General Charlton
Oh dear! I hope it was just an off day but he was terrible yesterday.

Comments

• Options
    The guy is just settling in to the club and admits he is short of match practise. Hopefully he just needs some time. I didn't think he was that bad but certainly a bit nervy.
  • Options
    he made a few good tackles
  • Options
    I thought he had a bit of an up and down game. Made some good tackles, positionally ok, some good corners but also some poor passing and crosses. He seemed to get better as the game went on.
  • Options
    He's still a bit rusty, but I thought he did ok, generally, yesterday.
  • Options
    Weakest link
  • Options
    Very poor yesterday - of course he can improve but it was not a hopeful advert for him.
  • Options
    Have to admit I'm not convinced by him yet, seems a bit of a third division Greg Halford.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: D_F_T[/cite]Oh dear! I hope it was just an off day but he was terrible yesterday.

That was his best game as well. You should have seen him against Shrewsbury & Orient !

Fit or not fit, far too often he doesn't even look to pass the ball, he just hoofs it straight to the opposition. Bloody appalling.

What is the point ? If you can't pass a ball then knock it sideways to someone who can. It's not rocket science.

He also looks too casual to me. I'll still give him the benefit of the doubt as it's only 3 games, he's still not match fit & if he was Southend's player of the season, there has to be something there surely?

I'm the first to admit that I didn't think Solly was ready to play in the 1st team every week, but he's better than Francis at the moment.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: coltsgoalie[/cite]he made a few good tackles

he made 1 good tackle halfway through the 2nd half apart from that he had a poor game i put it down to no pre season
  • Options
    His height was an important factor yesterday. He cleared with several headers.

His defending was good. Particularly one tackle in the second half when he ran some distance and tackled perfectly to stop a breakaway.

His passing got better. The pitch was wet yesterday and it was his first game on it.

The weak link was Llera.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: coltsgoalie[/cite]he made a few good tackles

he made 1 good tackle halfway through the 2nd half apart from that he had a poor game i put it down to no pre season

Nope. Not having a pre-season is no excuse for playing like he did yesterday - if he had just looked off the pace and had an iffy touch then maybe, but a big part of his problem yesterday was decision making, he just kept playing or trying to play the wrong ball. Hoofing it forwards towards nobody etc - in the first half he nearly gave it away playing a square ball across his own box! There are plenty of players in the past who have looked terrible to start off with but then developed into excellent members of the team - Jason Euell especially springs to mind - and it is certainly too early to dismiss him but judging from what I have seen so far he is toss, so lots of improving to do!
  • Options
    he needs time to bed into a team that he has not played with other than 2 games , thats what i meant by pre season..

look i am in the give chris solly a chance camp big time

but it is not simon francis's fault that solly aint in the team you must give this guy time before people start slating him
  • Options
    Akpo wasn't on for long so someone has to be scapegoated in the game.

That said Francis made a number of errors yesterday but remember waggy and solly were both being written off two weeks ago.

Just give the players a chance FFS
  • Options
    Ah, he'll be ok I think, just finding his way. He'll be a really good player imo.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Akpo wasn't on for long so someone has to be scapegoated in the game.

That said Francis made a number of errors yesterday but remember waggy and solly were both being written off two weeks ago.

Just give the players a chance FFS

henners swearing at this time of the morning what happend cardie sleeve fall into your porridge
  • Options
    He looked rusty but set pieces were good and won a fair few headers.

Distribution was very poor but should improve
  • Options
    First time he played in front of the home fans. Can't be easy when you hear 14,000 people sigh every time you kick the ball!

I'm going to keep the faith. Hopefully Doherty and Daily will give him a bit of guidance.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: fantastic11[/cite]First time he played in front of the home fans. Can't be easy when you hear 14,000 people sigh every time you kick the ball!

I'm going to keep the faith. Hopefully Doherty and Daily will give him a bit of guidance.

I'll give him a bit of guidance. Stop kicking it to the opposition ! Just lay off an easy pass if you can't do better & let us keep possession.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: (1984)[/cite]Have to admit I'm not convinced by him yet, seems a bit of a third division Greg Halford.[/quote]

...but without the long throw
  • Options
    What Henry said.

Get behind Francis ........ not keep rubbishing him.

He's bound to sense supporters are waiting to pounce on his next mistake.
    Show him your support.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2010
    Remember Omosuzi? Give the lad a chance for goodness sake.
  • Options
    Missing a full pre-season has a huge effect on a players stamina, and sharpness. Managers are always saying so.
    In fact they say it can take 10 games for a player to recover full match fitness.

Regarding Francis, after his contract was cancelled he was naturally excluded from Southend training.
    So apart from a bit of jogging, he'd done nothing at all over the summer.

Some of Francis' mistakes at the moment could just be down to breathing out of his arse, and matchfitness from playing a few more games will soon put that right.

And he's a new player that needs to gel with his new team mates.

Whether he's fit enough to play at the moment is the manager's call, of course.
    But he does have that height advantage, compared to Solly. Maybe that's the main reason he's in the team at the moment?

I notice he also takes our corners on his side.
  • Options
    Solly is too short for a modern right back. Midfield is his only hope.

Francis was a lot better than many of the team yesterday.
  • Options
    Crusty with respect that's a bs comment to make about solly

And as for Francis being better than most yesterday that's cack too
  • Options
    Why is he taking free kicks /corners, with his height he should be in the box getting on the end of things
  • Options
    Ashford thats exactly what concerns me!Simon Francis is officially our new Herman!He is definitely our weak link!And whoever said Llera was our weak link yesterday, Im not sure what game you were watching, I thought he was superb!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafc_se7[/cite]whoever said Llera was our weak link yesterday, Im not sure what game you were watching, I thought he was superb!

Oh dear. He is an absolute liability, constantly smashing the ball with no direction or miskicking it
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafc_se7[/cite]Ashford thats exactly what concerns me!Simon Francis is officially our new Herman!He is definitely our weak link!And whoever said Llera was our weak link yesterday, Im not sure what game you were watching, I thought he was superb!

There was more chance of him hitting me with one of his passes/clearances than one of his own team
  • Options
    That's the way, lets slag him off before he's match fit, and really destoy his confidence. Up the addicks
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: cblock[/cite]That's the way, lets slag him off before he's match fit, and really destoy his confidence. Up the addicks[/quote]

Agree, he'll be a good player for us I think and he wasn't even that bad yesterday.