Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Basey training with The Gills

Comments

• Options
    As someone who take great interest in reading comments on this website, I feel as someone who knows a bit about this particular thread I should tell people a few facts.
    Grant was never on trial at Gillingham, it was purely a chance for him to train whilst waiting for his move to Aberdeen to go through. FACT
    Regarding AFKBATRAMS post, out of the 15 starts that Grant made last season, only 14 count as 1 lasted only 12 seconds. He lost just 2 games with 6 assists.
    Compare that stat to the other left backs that played last season.
    If I were you guys, I would be more concerned about the players still at the club with worse stats, who are not even playing and are picking up 3-4 times the amount of money Grant was ever on.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: whartoncafc[/cite]As someone who take great interest in reading comments on this website, I feel as someone who knows a bit about this particular thread I should tell people a few facts.
    Grant was never on trial at Gillingham, it was purely a chance for him to train whilst waiting for his move to Aberdeen to go through. FACT
    Regarding AFKBATRAMS post, out of the 15 starts that Grant made last season, only 14 count as 1 lasted only 12 seconds. He lost just 2 games with 6 assists.
    Compare that stat to the other left backs that played last season.
    If I were you guys, I would be more concerned about the players still at the club with worse stats, who are not even playing and are picking up 3-4 times the amount of money Grant was ever on.

i agree with the this post

however i do feel that although i liked grant as a player i feel we are not weaker in the squad without him that doesnt mean i wanted him to be one of those that left, cant help wonder what wouldve been if that brissle mug hadnt done him when and how he did
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    We need cover at left back, so Grant isn't looking that bad an option to me...
  • Options
    Fry is fit now, was on the bench Saturday wasn't he?
  • Options
    Fry,Youga when fit,Jackson,Llera if need be.
    4 options aint bad!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Jarman[/cite]Fry,Youga when fit,Jackson,Llera if need be.

I'd shudder if Lera was picked at LB, no matter how desperate we would be.

Remember last season's Valley playoff match against Swindon?
    Playing in the LB area, Llera was absolutely skinned by Austin - ended up taking him out and sent off.

No thanks, rather even Solly played out of position there.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]I have issues with what parkies choices are and why he does it and i have the right to say that as do all those infavour of his decisions thats why i like coming on here but of recent there seems to be a lot more questioning of fans " Proper Charlton" status and a suggestion that they are being fickle or stoopid

the difference for me is

when at Football Large is proper Charlton he puts the miles in and he supports yet he gets hit for being an average fan on another thread another person was criticised and i was told i was a word we cant say, now my comments probally deserved that so i didnt give 2 hoots cos i posted pissed and it was overly heavy and i shouldnt have used the words i did

I appologised the next morning and moved on but there are many posts where i think the boy large shouldnt get the response he does

me and large very rarely had agreed on much but the one thing i hope we both knew was that home and away before the good times we were there

and even now in times of trouble we are still there

and give nothing but support when we are

I'm not doubting that Large' is 'proper Charlton', or that he is fickle, his passion on here seems 2nd to none.
    I personally think his comment was ridiculous, given that Francis has only played 2 league games. I merely wanted to hilight that ridiculousness, particularly as his point is NOT valid, as you somehow seem to think. Slam Parkinson if thats where the anger is, but why slam Francis?

Proper supporters get behind their players, especially the new ones. It's not Francis fault that Parkinson has picked him ahead of Solly, nor is it his fault that Parkinson doesn't rate Basey as highly as Large seems to.

Large is entitled to his opinion, as we all are, & we've all had our share of rants about CAFC players over the years, but someone who apparantly follows the club through thick & thin, & tearing strips off a player who has just got here seems pretty poor to me. I feel the same about the arsewits who boo after 10 minutes, or lay into players after 1 error on the pitch, & I will say something when I do, just like on this occasion.
  • Options
    thing is though Stefco I will support Francis at a game but that doesn't mean I can't dig him out on here. I don't think he's been great so far and Solly didn't deserve to be dropped. Whether Francis will improve time will tell and maybe after 20 games we can return to this and discuss his merits or otherwise. There is a big, big difference between booing a player at a game for a mistake and moaning about him on here.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stefco[/cite]Proper supporters get behind their players, especially the new ones. It's not Francis fault that Parkinson has picked him ahead of Solly, nor is it his fault that Parkinson doesn't rate Basey as highly as Large seems to.

Just because someone questions a players ability on a internet forum does not mean for a second they don't get 100% behind the players at game time!
  • Options
    On Sky Sports , so it looks like Grant is not going North.

It seems sad that he will not seem to be fixed up yet .

Aberdeen are hoping to secure a work permit to finalise the loan signing of Udinese full-back Nikola Vujadinovic.

The 24-year-old's move to Pittodrie initially appeared to have fallen through last week, but the Dons were able to agree a season-long deal before Tuesday's deadline.

However, Vujadinovic's capture is subject to a work permit hearing on Monday as he currently does not fulfil the criteria after failing to appear in 75 per cent of Montenegro's internationals in the past two years.

Dons boss Mark McGhee is optimistic the tribunal will look kindly on the club's case as he is anxious to bring in a new left-back.

Delicate
    "It is a bit delicate because it is in the hands of the SFA tribunal," McGhee told the Press & Journal.

"We will have to wait and see what happens. We will put forward a good case.

"We will supply the evidence we believe will be sufficient. Vujadinovic has terrific pedigree, you do not get a five-year contract at a Serie A club unless you have ability.

"It is a position we have struggled to fill because we wanted Grant Basey, but were unable to find the funds."
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Richard J[/cite]"It is a position we have struggled to fill because we wanted Grant Basey, but were unable to find the funds."

Wonder what is the financial difference between signing Vujadinovic or giving Grant Basey a contract........?
  • Options
    Bit risky by Basey turning down clubs the way he is, he can surely afford lower wages for a couple of seasons and if he performs well he'll earn more, could find himself struggling for a club at this stage.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: siblers[/cite]Bit risky by Basey turning down clubs the way he is, he can surely afford lower wages for a couple of seasons and if he performs well he'll earn more, could find himself struggling for a club at this stage.

He is a free agent, so he can sign between windows.

I'm not sure he did turn down Aberrrrrdin.
    I thought it was reported they had no budget to sign him - unless of course the terms offered were below his expectation.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: siblers[/cite]Bit risky by Basey turning down clubs the way he is, he can surely afford lower wages for a couple of seasons and if he performs well he'll earn more, could find himself struggling for a club at this stage.

He is a free agent, so he can sign between windows.

I'm not sure he did turn down Aberrrrrdin.
    I thought it was reported they had no budget to sign him - unless of course the terms offered were below his expectation.
    That's true that maybe they couldn't afford him, but if it's a case where his wage expectations are too high, then he'll find it quite hard to get anyone to meet his demands.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: siblers[/cite].......but if it's a case where his wage expectations are too high, then he'll find it quite hard to get anyone to meet his demands.

If that's the case, Siblers, I agree.

It's so important for a player to be playing, or at least in full squad training.
    Otherwise pace and sharpness is lost.

Remember Omo last season?
    Completely off the pace to start with, but once he got games under his belt and matchfitness - he looked the part.

At least Basey is getting club training at the Jills.
  • Options
    I reckon Grant must have other irons in the fire. I can't believe that he'd turn down Aberdeen, whatever they may have offered, if he had absolutely no other options. I hope he finds a Club soon, the lad deserves one. It's a funny old game, not. If Blizzard hadn't crocked him at Brizzle Rovers Grant may have got a run in the side, performed well and Parky may have given him the sort of contract offer he wanted. Things didn't quite work out like that though did they. Some on here seem to forget that Grant's career may be going down the pan due to an injury he picked up playing for us. In the past other crocked players, Todorov recently, got new contracts on the back on that (getting injured in the line of duty). How things have changed. I hope we give Dominic the stick he deserves when he plays at The Valley.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]I reckon Grant must have other irons in the fire. I can't believe that he'd turn down Aberdeen, whatever they may have offered, if he had absolutely no other options. I hope he finds a Club soon, the lad deserves one. It's a funny old game, not. If Blizzard hadn't crocked him at Brizzle Rovers Grant may have got a run in the side, performed well and Parky may have given him the sort of contract offer he wanted. Things didn't quite work out like that though did they. Some on here seem to forget that Grant's career may be going down the pan due to an injury he picked up playing for us. In the past other crocked players, Todorov recently, got new contracts on the back on that (getting injured in the line of duty). How things have changed. I hope we give Dominic the stick he deserves when he plays at The Valley.

Very well said, a former team mate of Grant Basey said to me not two days ago how strange a game football is.

What he said was along the lines of 'There is a fag papers difference between Grant and O'Hara'

Really? Says I

'Yeah, opinion and luck'. Said my source

The same was said about Lloyd Sam and Jamal Campbell-Ryce
  • Options
    Good luck to grant and all that but imo squad player at best and really not that good
    if he couldn't get into our free falling team in recent years then that isn't a good sign
    Like most of our recent youth players , jonjo excepted, he is a an average league one player at best imo
    Just hope for his sake he is a "late developer" and he may then stand a chance of carving out a decent career
  • Options
    edited September 2010
  • Options
    Grant has good delivery of a football, but has no pace what so ever. Could try out as a kicker in American Football?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is this why English Football is in a mess ?

I've looked up the Croatian on Wiki and although he doesn't have a Stellar career , he must be much cheaper to employ and has been sold for £1m at one point in his career.

I like Grant as a squad player, but suspect resigning him was plan B in terms of Fry not returning on loan or Jackson not signing.
    If Grant had even average pace then he would be some player and may have left upwards like Shelvey rather than scratching around for his next pay packet .

If we could afford him and he was prepared to take the lower contract I would still have him in the squad it is tragic that he is not fixed up yet. Until Youga is fit I would still like the extra cover at Left Back.
  • Options
    Think he should ditch the stupid 'cycling' shorts and get some fitness training in. He needs to lose some weight and get some speed work done.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Crusty54[/cite]Think he should ditch the stupid 'cycling' shorts and get some fitness training in. He needs to lose some weight and get some speed work done.
    He didn't look overweight at all to me. He was bloody slow though.
  • Options
    Grant's not good enough - simple! Come on lads - that's more than a handful of professional football managers who don't think he's good enough - so I don't think they are all wrong.

Too slow, bad reading of the game - not a bad left peg - however, I played with plenty of footballers on park pitches on a Saturday and Sunday at varying levels who could ping a ball like Grant.

Doesn't make them pro footballers either ...
  • Options
    up at doncaster this week
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite] that's more than a handful of professional football managers who don't think he's good enough

who exactly ?
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite]Grant's not good enough - simple! Come on lads - that's more than a handful of professional football managers who don't think he's good enough - so I don't think they are all wrong.

Too slow, bad reading of the game - not a bad left peg - however, I played with plenty of footballers on park pitches on a Saturday and Sunday at varying levels who could ping a ball like Grant.

Doesn't make them pro footballers either ...

Grant was offered a deal with us he chose to walk away from it so thats one of your list taken away

oh yeah so did the aberdeen mgr just that they couldnt afford him so thats 2
  • Options
    and he was only ever training with Gillingham to keep fit so that's three. Who exactly are these Managers then Supaclive ??
  • Options
    supaclive where are yer ?? me thinks you better stay with your park football
  • Options
    Think Basey deserves more respect than he often gets. He was injured in the course of representing CAFC and that injury may well have cost him the chance to push on in his career. I hope he's able to find a club and put last season behind him.