Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ex players and the money we paid for them

edited August 2010 in General Charlton
I know I'm basing this on Wikipedia, so it's automatically wrong, but I have been looking up ex players in a 'where are they now?' way and I looked up Stephan Andersen.........

"He moved abroad to join English club Charlton Athletic in a DKK 8 million transfer deal in June 2004.[1] In his first season with the London club, he only made two first team appearances. Due to an injury sustained by first choice goalkeeper Dean Kiely, Andersen started the 2005–06 season in the team. Charlton's poor mid-season form saw him dropped in favour of Kiely at first, then Thomas Myhre, who established himself as first choice as Charlton turned their season around. Andersen was reinstated into the lineup for the last two games of the season, when Myhre suffered an injury. In the 2006 summer transfer window, Andersen looked ready to join Leeds United on a season-long loan deal,[2] but as Charlton insisted on a clause to allow the club to recall Andersen at any time during the season, the transfer fell through at the last moment.[3] In the first half of the 2006–07 season, he saw the loaned-in Scott Carson become Charlton's starting goalkeeper."

The first line. DKK 8 million deal

I really hope that DKK is closer to 8,000,000p than £8,000,000, if not, what a bloody waste that was at the time!

Anyone got any other recent ex players we paid OTT for?

Comments

• Options
    Andersen was about 800k I think.

As for players we paid OTT for, there is a long list including:
    McLeod
    Gray
    Varney
    Traore
    Faye
    Fleetwood
  • Options
    That 8 mill was danish krone.

About £900k
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valiantphil[/cite]That 8 mill was danish krone.

About £900k

Probably a bit less at the time ..... around 10 DK to the £.
  • Options
    Marcus Bent by a country mile.

If we had paid a fiver for him we would have been robbed. David Moyes must of been over the moon to get £2m for him!!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    He was, and he said so at the time.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Varney[/cite]Marcus Bent by a country mile.

If we had paid a fiver for him we would have been robbed. David Moyes must of been over the moon to get £2m for him!!
    Probably right. They paid something like 400k for him, and he scored one in 5 and were desperate to move him on and yet they made a 500% profit! Amdy Faye deserves a mention for pure lack of ability...
  • Options
    Do you remember David Moyes in the interview after he signed for us? He was visibly surprised at the money they got for him, and stated what a good deal it was for the club........ this was during a period when he'd not scored in twenty odd games for Everton and one goal all season!

Whilst we all know Curbs made some amazing transfers, managers have no excuse when it comes to actually using their intelligence and a bit of analysis. Why 0-why do they not use any psychological testing? At least Curbs tried to gain as much knowledge on the player, but if anyone did a psychological test on Bent they'd find a narcissist lacking in self-awareness who was always a massive fuck up when money was paid for him. Only through adversity and near the top league scrapheap did he ever perform.