Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jackett and Parky explain Millwall and Charlton agent figures

edited August 2010 in General Charlton
http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/8342564.Jackett_and_Parky_explain_Millwall_and_Charlton_agent_figures/

Comments

• Options
    Seemed a lot initially but considering it's probablu about 5 to 10% of a player's wage, it's pretty reasonble.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: siblers[/cite]Seemed a lot initially but considering it's probablu about 5 to 10% of a player's wage, it's pretty reasonble.
    5-10% is a massive figure and for doing so little to earn it is almost criminal.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: siblers[/cite]Seemed a lot initially but considering it's probablu about 5 to 10% of a player's wage, it's pretty reasonble.
    5-10% is a massive figure and for doing so little to earn it is almost criminal.

That's just like the old Waggott thread. "I've no idea what he does but I'm sure he's overpaid".

Unless of course you work as an agent and therefore know everything they do to not earn their pay?
  • Options
    Parky sums it up pretty well.
    The Charlton boss said: “There are some agents which aren’t good for the game but then there is also some good agents.

“You can fight against agents or say they are part of the game, which they are.

“We’ve also used agents and agents have helped us along the way, so I think it goes two ways.

“You deal with the ones you trust and get on well with and the other ones you obviously don’t deal with.”
  • Options
    Defoe, considering agents are part and parcel of bringing in new players it's a cost that cannot be avoided and I doubt Parky would be one to be done over by an agent.
  • Options
    As Parky said himself, "“You deal with the ones you trust and get on well with and the other ones you obviously don’t deal with.”

That's sound enough reasoning..
  • Options
    They are a crucial part of the game after the Bosman ruling for both the clubs and the players. When a club has a player who has one or two years left on his contract but is no longer the manager’s first choice the club will simply ask the player’s agent to market the player to other clubs in order to get that player’s wages off the pay roll by either having the player signed by another club or getting another club to take the player on loan and pay all or a proportion of his wages. Similarly, when a player’s contract is not renewed it is his agent’s job to market that player (with a glossy brochure including independent coaching testimonials covering his development since he was a youth player, injury history, fitness performance statistics, detailed Prozone type statistics, independent personality assessments and a lot of other information a manager might want to know in order to judge if he will fit into the team he is trying to build) and also a DVD/weblink compilation showing clips of the player in action.

I am sure there are dodgy agents around, in the same way there are dodgy mortgage brokers and estate agents. But on the whole football agents provide a useful service in facilitating transfer and loan deals that benefit the players and the clubs. Most clubs simply do not have the resources or the expertise to perform the tasks that agents perform in marketing players to clubs.

As Jackett says, ‘In the lower divisions in particular you do budget for agents’ fees.’ This is because most clubs in these divisions cannot afford to pay a fee for any player. They are 100% reliant on agents coming to them with players who are available either on loan or on a free.

The Bosman ruling, freedom of contract and the use of agents has completely changed the way the transfer market works over the last 15 or so years, particularly for clubs outside the top half of the Premier league. The top clubs can still target players as before by simply submitting offers for players it wants.

I have been accused of suffering from a 'cognitive dissonance' condition for describing how the transfer market works in today's game in another thread but I am afraid you have to be suffering from a mildly 'delusional' condition if you believe it still operates the way it did in the seventies and eighties.