Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Happy 40th Anniversary "Whispering" Bob Harris

good article in today's Torygraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/7952704/I-dont-feel-like-some-old-fogey-talking-to-these-kids-Bob-Harris.html

...........and for those whipper-snappers who have no idea what all the fuss is about....[warning: a spanner may affect your enjoyment of this clip]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz6sGIzeoJc&feature=related

Comments

• http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/7952704/I-dont-feel-like-some-old-fogey-talking-to-these-kids-Bob-Harris.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz6sGIzeoJc&feature=related
  • Up the Whispering Bob
  • edited August 2010
    Heard Bob on Radio 4 this morning.

Told a great story about when he started Time Out in '68 and was trying to flog it around record shops one shop assistant said he'd take 10 copies if Bob would review his first album Empty Sky. The shop assistant was Elton John.

Love the Danny Baker vid. Such a good writer especially about music and spot on about how music was so important then compared to now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAcRug1saTY
  • click on the "text" circle below the box where you write rather than the "BBC" one.

How long have you been a member on here?
  • Cheers..............................................cheeky beggar...................I'll feed you some duff Grand National tips if you don't watch it
  • [cite]Posted By: PeanutsMolloy[/cite]Cheers..............................................cheeky beggar...................I'll feed you some duff Grand National tips if you don't watch it

No, no don't do that, sorry, honest!
  • think i remember whispering bob from in the early 80s on LBC on a sunday night but don't think there was music involved
  • Another tick for my I Spy book of 'People you thought died years ago....'
  • edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]Another tick for my I Spy book of 'People you thought died years ago....'

Nearly did - diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2007 (I think) but they got it just in time. He helps to raise around £250,000 every year for Cancer Research UK by an annual bash and auction at the Abbey Road Studios.
    Whistle Test was my introduction as a spotty teenager to the likes of John Martyn, Little Feat, Richard (& Linda) Thompson. Good days.
  • Sponsored links:

• You are quite right peanuts.
    Bob contacted prostrate Cancer, I photographed him at Radio 2 the week before he went into hospital. Joe Bonamassa was his guest as well so a double treat!.
    Thankfully he made a full recovery and is alive and well and still supporting music.

With the support of his lovely wife Trudy, his manager and supporter, Bob was able to come back and do the job he loves best , playing music.

In fact my old newpaper BBC ariel carried a full page feature on him, ( this week) like John Peel, and others before him , these guys played a pivotal role in the development of music in todays culture .

Bob has a wide knowledge of music and taste as well, across Folk, country, early Rand b and of course Rock. He was developmental in spotlighting the genre ' Americana' music.
  • I was given a 4 CD best of Whistle Test for my birthday.

Some great stuff on it but also lots of reminders of bands that just seemed to go on for ever ie focus.

Remember seeing the Wailers doing Stir it Up and John Martyn but it was on so late I used to fall asleep before it started most of the time.
  • this thread should have old fart thread alert attached to the top line

all thats missing is Oggy ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]this thread should have old fart thread alert attached to the top line

all thats missing is Oggy ;-)

Go away and listen to your car alarm going off rave music : - )
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]this thread should have old fart thread alert attached to the top line

all thats missing is Oggy ;-)[/quote]

Did my best with my contribution to this thread
  • It was difficult for me to concentrate on Whistle Test because Mike Yarwood used to do an impression of Bob and whenever the "real Bob Harris" came on screen my father would burst out laughing! Those were the days when there was only one TV in the typical household remember them?
  • [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]It was difficult for me to concentrate on Whistle Test because Mike Yarwood used to do an impression of Bob and whenever the "real Bob Harris" came on screen my father would burst out laughing! Those were the days when there was only one TV in the typical household remember them?
    I was never allowed to stay up that late...
  • edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite] Those were the days when there was only one TV in the typical household remember them?

That's an official definition of "child poverty" these days isn't it?
  • bumped to stop the oap's having to bend down to see this thread
  • Incredibly it is his 50th broadcasting anniversary. The Whistle Test was part of my musical education. Thanks or that and everything else Bob.
  • Sponsored links:

• Surely BH is the inspiration for the Jazz Club host in the Fast Show sketches ?
    .........Great. 
  • The old Grey Whistle test and Bob, the best music show ever.
    I remember waiting for the parents to go to bed and then switching over to BBC 2 and the old Grey Whistle Test. But you had to  keep the sound down, not to disturb the parents or end up having family arguments which you would always loose.
    But that programme introduced me to all  sorts of music I would not have tried out for myself,and Bob was so knowledgable.
  • edited August 2020
    "A voice like a vibrator in 6 feet of sand" [Danny Baker about Whispering Bob].
    Bob Harris's OGWT = heaven 
    Cheers for the memories Bob.
  • Lovely voice and manner with terrific knowledge. 
  • Loved the show. My outstanding memory was watching Lynryd skynrd playing Free Bird. Went to the pub afterwards buzzing and then trying to tell my friends about this band called linerid skinrid. 
  • edited August 2020

Told a great story about when he started Time Out in '68 and was trying to flog it around record shops one shop assistant said he'd take 10 copies if Bob would review his first album Empty Sky. The shop assistant was Elton John.

Love the Danny Baker vid. Such a good writer especially about music and spot on about how music was so important then compared to now.
    Prefer DB to Bob any day. Bob represented all that that was wrong with prog (even though I liked some of that music myself). 
    A motivator for punk, which I assume he hated. 
  • JamesSeed said:

Prefer DB to Bob any day. Bob represented all that that was wrong with prog (even though I liked some of that music myself). 
    Really 
  • JamesSeed said:

Iconoclast JS.🤨
  • edited August 2020
    JamesSeed said:

Agreed.  He closed his eyes (and ears) to new music and has even admitted in his autobiography that it was a mistake. 

OGWT was terrific for years but got boring from about 1976 onwards. Improved again when Annie Nightingale took over in 1978 and was more than happy to play ‘new’ music.