Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Addicks prepared to let Smart take deal elsewhere

edited August 2010 in General Charlton
http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/8342228.Addicks_prepared_to_let_Smart_take_deal_elsewhere/

Comments

• Options
    the last paragraph makes me think we havent got the finances to take him on? maybe thats why we haven't signed anymore strikers?

Be mad if someone came in for him as thought he is worth a 1 year deal at least as back up
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]the last paragraph makes me think we havent got the finances to take him on? maybe thats why we haven't signed anymore strikers

Really? I take it as though we're not sure on him and we're looking to see if there's better elsewhere. Parky said - "He has still got a bit of work to do in my eyes to convince us he is worth a contract but we will continue to monitor him".

Let's be honest if he was worth a deal, he'd have been given one by now.
  • Options
    So starts the Bally Smart circus.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]the last paragraph makes me think we havent got the finances to take him on? maybe thats why we haven't signed anymore strikers

Really? I take it as though we're not sure on him and we're looking to see if there's better elsewhere. Parky said - "He has still got a bit of work to do in my eyes to convince us he is worth a contract but we will continue to monitor him".

Let's be honest if he was worth a deal, he'd have been given one by now.

That's the way I read it too, Chris.

[cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite] Be mad if someone came in for him as thought he is worth a 1 year deal at least as back up

Not sure what you are basing that on. Shews away? the Spurs friendly?

Plenty more fish in the sea especially on loan.
  • Options
    Parky is being very fair. Giving Smart the chance to improve but not standing in his way if he gets a concrete offer. It really is a shame his first name is not william:)
  • Options
    Got to agree with Sidcup Chris ........ we'd have snapped him up straightaway if Parky thought the player could hold down a 1st team place. When he first came to the club and played against Concord, Smart evidently impressed enough to be included in the mathday squad v Bournemouth.

His opportunity though was against Shrewsbury - and he didn't take that chance.
    Parky didn't beat about the bush, and said plainly that the player disappointed.

In training Smart's going to have to come up with something special and sustain it, or he's on his way.
    Parky has said a number of times, he's not interested in signing average players just to make up the squad numbers.

Any players signed in future must be already good enough to win a 1st team place.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]the last paragraph makes me think we havent got the finances to take him on? maybe thats why we haven't signed anymore strikers?

Be mad if someone came in for him as thought he is worth a 1 year deal at least as back up

I would prefer Mulley over Smart to be honest. Thought Smart was poor at Shrewsbury.
  • Options
    "Be mad if someone came in for him as thought he is worth a 1 year deal at least as back up"

Why? I'll trust Parky's judgement seeing him up close on a regular basis.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]the last paragraph makes me think we havent got the finances to take him on? maybe thats why we haven't signed anymore strikers?

Doesn't read like that at all.He's faster then most in this league an that's the only reason Parky's keeping a bit of interest in him imo.
    Think his end product is woeful though.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]the last paragraph makes me think we havent got the finances to take him on? maybe thats why we haven't signed anymore strikers?

Be mad if someone came in for him as thought he is worth a 1 year deal at least as back up[/quote]

I would prefer Mulley over Smart to be honest. Thought Smart was poor at Shrewsbury.[/quote]

Is Mulley still with us? Was very impressed with him in pre-season
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: valleyman[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]

I would prefer Mulley over Smart to be honest. Thought Smart was poor at Shrewsbury.

Is Mulley still with us? Was very impressed with him in pre-season

Mulley signed a new deal with Hayes and Yeading a couple of weeks ago.
  • Options
    Seems like a smart move to me.
  • Options
    Shame about Mulley really. Oh well, only saw him against Bromley & AFC Wimbledon so always hard to judge.

What really strikes me about the various reports from the Newshopper is just how careful and sensible Parky is with our money. I guess partly because he has to be - but what a turn around from Dowie & Pardew who would have handed out contracts to these players too easily.
  • Options
    Smart move by Parky AGAIN , IMHO
  • Options
    As is said above, the Parky quote from a few weeks ago regarding not filling the squad with average players is evident here. If Smart is not going to really challeneg the likes of Reid and Wagstaff, then he is not worth keeping. Judging by the Shrewsbury game, Smart is not what we need.
  • Options
    I think Popo is better than him, seems to bang them in for fun at the moment