Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Parky admits Fortune deal unlikely

edited August 2010 in General Charlton
http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/8342191.Parky_admits_Fortune_deal_unlikely/

Comments

• Options
    Stick to your guns, Parky...
  • Options
    says it's unlikely, but doesn't rule it out.

guess it all depends on what other players we bring in and how it would affect the budget.
  • Options
    I'd love Fortune back. Don't think he'd get in as a starter, but I'd probably put him slightly ahead of Llera (despite his good display vs Orient). However, I'd rather get in one more striker than Forts.
  • Options
    With Dailly, Doc and Llera aswell as Fry at CB, our priorities have to be elsewhere and due to limited resources, it is surely questionable whether we can offer Fortune the kind of deal he would want.
  • Options
    I read something between the lines, I think (!)

Parky: “We are trying to push him hard to get him back to where he should be because he is only 29.....".

I read that as something not right with his fitness, that could even put a question mark against his career.
    After that serious achillees rupture, something to do with mobility and acceleration, maybe?

My take is that he's evidently not quite the same player as he was pre-injury.
    The player is out of work, not being paid (I assume) and needs to earn a contract.....so wages not necessarily the main issue.

Forch fits in well at The Valley, and everybody knows with his ability and experience, he should be a top class CB for this level .... so a fit Fortune would be a great asset otherwise.

As I said, something not quite right.
  • Options
    I remember at the time the club said that the type of injury he had was often a career-ending one.

The fact the they say "pushing him to get back" makes it sound like he would happily settle for a job on the bench with us but the management believe he should be better than that. Sounds like he is lacking confidence and good on the club for supporting him.
  • Options
    Possibly not too far off the mark Oggy, sure I read he looked a,ot slower in a couple of pre season games and got skinned a few times. Maybe he has lost pace and mobility and is in fact not fit enough for first team football.

Also wonder about his wages but only due to the fact he would have been on good Championship wages both here and Sheff Utd possibly 7k a week and above. I know he is now without a club but would Fortune be happy dropping to what we could afford- maybe more 2-3k a week.
  • Options
    Does appear as though he's not quite up to speed. Only he will know if that's something he can put right. We'd probably all like the version we remember on board but if he doesn't quite make it (and the money needs to go elsewhere) at least we can help out an old friend.