Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ipswich & Martin

Could this be bad news for us?

Sorry to post something 'negative'. Was surprised this wasn't already on here.

Stoke sign Jon Walters from Ipswich for £2.75m

Stoke have signed of Jonathan Walters from Ipswich for an initial fee of £2.75 million.

Walters, who can play as a striker or right winger, has signed a four-year deal with Stoke. A Republic of Ireland B international, his fee could rise to £3.25 million depending on appearances.

Stoke manager Tony Pulis said: "I have been looking to bring more goals to the squad and Jon certainly fits that bill. He has been one of the outstanding performers in the Championship over the past three years and I am confident the lad can make the same sort of impact in the Premier League now that he has been given this opportunity.

"The fact that he is versatile will increase competition for places in the squad which is something we have been looking to achieve.''

Walters, who scored eight goals in the Championship last season, began his career as a trainee with Blackburn before spells with Bolton, Hull, Wrexham and Chester.

Walters said: "It's always good to know that a manager has that faith in your ability and that was certainly an influence on my decision to come here. I am excited about moving here and it is the fulfilment of a long-term goal of mine to get back into the Premier League.

"I had a sniff of it in my time at Bolton, but I knew that in dropping down the leagues, it would take a lot of hard work to get back there one day. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Ipswich, especially being the captain of the club, but this was the opportunity I had been working towards and I'm glad it's come at a club like Stoke.''

From soccernet.com

Comments

• Options
    no , if a player is on a season long loan then they can't be called back
  • Options
    I am not worried. Although there is usually a recall clause in the loan contract, it is not normally implementable until the January transfer window. In any event, Martin only started 9 league games last season and Keane doesn’t seem to want him as he put him on the transfer list in the summer. I imagine the silly money he got for Walters will buy a more than adequate replacement by the end of the month, if he needs to as he has a large squad.
  • Options
    I'm more concerned they've spent that much on Walters!

Worlds gone mad
  • Options
    if what sky says is true then martin (if on a long term loan) can be recalled in january but only if there is a transfer lined up for him if not he stays with us, the recall clause is not for any other reason than a transfer, players on a short term loan 4wks to half a season can be recalled after 4 weeks so that the player can return to his parent club and play for them..

what we need to know is is it deemed as a long term loan or a short term loan then if he does go in jan it is because someone is buying him
  • Options
    There is no such thing as a season long loan - it is 2 back to back loans (transfer window to transfer window) with a verbal agreement re the second. We Had Bouazza on "season long loan".

This sale will be unconnected.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]what we need to know is is it deemed as a long term loan or a short term loan then if he does go in jan it is because someone is buying him
    It definitely counts as long term as it was announced as a season long loan.
  • Options
    Ideal scenario, Ipswich replace Walters with a tasty right winger, they get off to a flyer and are in the top 5 at Christmas, Martin stays and gets a championship medal come May.
  • Options
    Keane does not want him back, would not worry.
  • Options
    He can be recalled in January, not before
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Keane does not want him back, would not worry.

So let's hope Keane keeps his job !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would guess he'll be looking for a direct replacement and he clearly has a few quid to do that. Good player though he was that fee is very high.
  • Options
    Stoke have spent nearly 3m on a striker who scored 8 goals in the championship! Why?!!
  • Options
    I was thinking more that Martin could do well between now and Jan and then be recalled to play for Ipswich

buuuuuuut..... interesting suggestion that he can only really be recalled to be sold

anyway,

hope he stays and loves playing for us :)
  • Options
    How long does he have on his contract? maybe we will thrash out a deal like the Sodje one, he plays a certain amount of games and we get first option, and get him on a free at the end of the season
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: sam3110[/cite]How long does he have on his contract? maybe we will thrash out a deal like the Sodje one, he plays a certain amount of games and we get first option, and get him on a free at the end of the season

He is in the 2nd year of a 4 year contract with Ipswich and cost them £1.5m. I can't see him going on a free unless Ipswich want to get his wages off their books.
  • Options
    :/ could be a problem, and I'm sure they would want the most they can get out for him to cover the 1.5mil they spent
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: better red than dead[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: sam3110[/cite]How long does he have on his contract? maybe we will thrash out a deal like the Sodje one, he plays a certain amount of games and we get first option, and get him on a free at the end of the season

He is in the 2nd year of a 4 year contract with Ipswich and cost them £1.5m. I can't see him going on a free unless Ipswich want to get his wages off their books.

Well that wouldn't help us as we certainly cannot afford his wedge.

The only way he'll sign permanently is if his contract is ripped up and he drops to about 2 or 3k a week at most. That would still make him one of our higher earners and if, like Kyel Reid, football is more important than money then who knows.
  • Options
    Keane had told both Walters and Martin that they won't play for the club again.... but when he get's fired, then....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Maglor[/cite]There is no such thing as a season long loan - it is 2 back to back loans (transfer window to transfer window) with a verbal agreement re the second. We Had Bouazza on "season long loan".

This sale will be unconnected.

not according to sky sports

you havbe long term loans that are a season long but with a recall in january, but only if the player concerned is going to be transfered,

or short term loan minimum of 4 weeks max is until the next window starts
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CHG[/cite]Ideal scenario, Ipswich replace Walters with a tasty right winger, they get off to a flyer and are in the top 5 at Christmas, Martin stays and gets a championship medal come May.

All of that except the Championship medal. Nothing against Martin, but it would make me very happy to see Keane fail, especially from such a good position at Christmas.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Stoke have spent nearly 3m on a striker who scored 8 goals in the championship! Why?!!

He's normally a winger ......... so 8 is a decent tally for a winger.
    That's what we expect Kyle Reid to score this season, for example.
  • Options
    Pulis usually knows what hes doing.