Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

9/11 - Where were you?

Comments

• Options
    I was at work and someone got a call from her husband, we thought it was a joke and my friend said that it was a Tom Clancy novel and Harison Ford must be president. Then we tried to get on the internet which was primitive then and could not get on which seemed odd. Listened on the radio but it was not until i got home and saw the pictures that i could comprehend the enormity of the event. I had been at the WTC the year before and still cannot beleive what happened.

Think this will always be a defining moment for our generation, we will always remember where we were.

RIP
  • Options
    i was watchin it unfold on tv at work in the city.. i can remember that day as if it was yesterday..
    the company i was working for at the time, one of their main offices was based in the towers..
    i had been out working a fair bit before it happened.. the last time being about 4 weeks before that day.. Our company lost alot of people that day.. including a few i had worked with & got to know ..
    one of whom i had become really good friends with... :-(

i have been back fair few times since.. be it work or for pleasure, i always make sure i have a drink for them in a bar we used to go after work.

RIP
  • Options
    I was 7 and was at school, but had little knowledge on the impact of those events.
    RIP

on another note i was looking through the major events that have taken place on september 11th's, although i DO appreciate none are as significant, but i found out clive mendonca turns 42 today so HAPPY BIRTHDAY SUPER CLIVE.
  • Options
    Some amazing stories here. I was at work and remember watching as the second plane hit. A very sad day and since then i've watched all the tv programmes, heard the conspiracy theories and read loads about it online and something still doesn't sit right about the Pentagon attack.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I was sorting out my parents loft and listening to a Jamiroquai cd (that seems to stick with me for some reason) and my dad shouted up the stairs that there had been a terrorist attack in New York, I imagined that it would be something akin to one of the terrorist attacks that London had endured during the 70's and 80's- replied "blimey"-hoped it wouldn't be to bad and just carried on with what I was doing (how wrong I was).
    He shouted out that skyscrapers were on fire as planes had crashed into them, I rushed down to watch the news and I could not believe the events unfolding before my eyes, I think I watched the CNN non stop for the next 24 hours. These events were to usher in the 21st century and set the tone for the world we now live in, it doesn't matter how many times I see the footage it is still shocking. It must never happen again.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Filmed on September 7th 2001

Great song about a great city. I asked my wife to marry me on top of one of those towers in 1999.
  • Options
    I had left New York on the Sunday morning before having attended a conference the previous week. I had considered staying on for another week to do some sales work for my business but decided that I could not justify the cost as most of my business is in Asia.

I was in the UK office when a driver came in and said he had the news of the first plane on the radio.
  • Options
    I'm not sure what happened on the 9th November?
  • Options
    I was in Nakorn Pathom. Thailand - saw it on the TV at first i thought it was some sort of film rather than the news
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As part of my job as a teacher, I'd been out on the field with some of the hopefuls for the school team.
    It was a warm afternoon and when it got to around 4:30 I packed up and headed to the staff room for a well earned cold drink.
    When I entered the staffroom, it seemed as if around 30 people were gathered around a television. I looked over their shoulders and saw an image of one of the WTC towers.

"I've been there many times" I announced. "it's lovely at the top and there's a fantastic place to eat called Windows on the World".

"it's not there anymore" came the answer.

I didn't understand at all. I was eventually put in the picture and realised we had been looking at pictures that were a summary of the days events.

The rest of the evening was spent glued to the BBC and trying to connect with friends who lived or worked in NYC.

A couple of strange facts from the day are
    1. Initially, I knew more about what was going on in NYC than many of my friends who lived there due to their local radio and television pictures being broadcast from the top of one of the towers.
    2. Another friend joined a huge line of well meaning people in midtown who went to give blood as soon as news of the attack spread. Thousand and thousands of people thought they were helping but almost none of the blood was used. People either escaped with few injuries or they didn't escape at all. A very odd situation.

I was very disturbed by the pictures of the 'jumpers'. What kind of decision must that have been?
    Truly awful.
  • Options
    I was at Leeds University Open Day when my friend was getting updates on his mobile. Started driving back home with my friend listening to everything on 5live. Not much said during that trip apart from lots of expletives in shock. I remember thinking, is this WW3?
  • Options
    I was working night shifts in the city and woke up about 2pm and the first thing I did was switch on the TV not realising what was going on. First thing I caught was helicopters flying round the Pentagon with smoke billowing everywhere. Being half awake it looked like some sort of fake documentary and then saw clips of the plane hitting the tower. Don't think I have ever been so shocked in my life. My sister was in New York to attend a Michael Jackson gig or something and was at the top of one of the towers the week before. Went to work that night thinking what is the point of working after an event like this. One of those defining moments in history that affected the whole world. R.I.P
  • Options
    i cant watch those people jumping i tried to watch a thing with phone calls from thw wtc, i turned it off a truely horific news item to broadcast, i understand the need for detail and the fact that i was willing to sit down and try to watch the programme was evidence that there was an audience for such programmes..
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I was working in South Norwood at the time. I can remember it vividly. I was in the canteen at work just paying for some food when I saw the news report on the first tower being hit. I sat and watched the second tower being hit and some of the tragic events unfold.
  • Options
    i was just finishing my shift i was workin at London Weekend Televison and i was home to get ready to fly Los Angeles the followin morning.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Maglor[/cite]I was in Nakorn Pathom. Thailand - saw it on the TV at first i thought it was some sort of film rather than the news

Similar sort of thing. I had been doing some work at M&S Bluewater and was walking back to the car park when I saw it on a TV through a shop window. Obviously couldn't hear the commentary and thought it was a cheesy film I hadn't seen before. It wasn't until I got into the car for the drive home and switched on Five Live that I realised that it was for real.
  • Options
    I was in the living room of my old house and my wife called me in to watch what was happening on CNN.

I said to her at the time, once I realised what was going on, "Someone is going to get the f+++king shite blown out of them for this."

I think time has proved me more or less correct!!!
  • Options
    I was eating a sandwich at home in front of the TV on a non working day when the programme was interrupted by " live pictures from New York ".

Like AFKA my first thought was that it was a new way of advertising a coming Hollywood disaster movie but all too soon it was apparent that a real life disaster was taking place. Couldn't take my eyes off the scene that was unfolding and with further news coming in , was glued to the screen for the remainder of the day....

....whilst madly trying to get through to my son who was living on Long Island, NY at the time . There was no reason to believe he would be involved in the horror as he rarely visited the city itself but he had been applying for jobs there and there was this niggling worry at the back of my mind that he'd been called for interview at the last minute. He hadn't.

My daughter & son in law were in Cancun on honeymoon so , of course I worried about their flight home a few days later. An extremely traumatic time for all.....I just wanted to have my nearest & dearest at home with me for a huge group hug of reassurance.

Lots of questions still unanswered regarding this monumental event with numerous websites & blogs springing up to discuss the situation ad nauseum. Not sure that everyone would agree with NLA re the conspiracy theory .....and we may never know the truth.
  • Options
    I was auditioning performers when the boss came in in the middle of a young girl singing sweetly, halted proceedings and told us...was very difficult to take in at that moment, then it unfolded, drove home with the wireless on, and it was as if nothing would ever be the same again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was in school. I remember that morning, there was a special report on the radio about the mayoral election in New York, and it was all about how the people of the city were glad that Giuiliani was finally being replaced. I stayed on after school for a sort of supervised study thing, and it wasn't until 4 or 5 o'clock that I found out about what had happened. It was all very sketchy details, even then. When I got home, everyone was glued to the screen. The next day was strange. While nobody found the tragedy actually funny, for some reason laughing was a usual response. Deep down, we all knew this was going to be a defining moment for our generation.
  • Options
    memphis tennessee. remember it vividly.i was on a harley davidson holiday with a mate,touring the southern states. I'd just got out the to find my pal transfixed to the telly as the horrific scenes undolded.

I remember feeling very empathetic to the americans more than ever before such an awful tragedy.
  • Options
    Reception of Cable & Wireless office in Southwark watching it on TV
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    what i saw out my window 9 years agoThis is what this lady saw, harrowing!

Does this linky thing work when sent by blackberry?
  • Options
    I was working in Euston and i can remember the panic of everone when it happend. It was very surreal. We all left work early and when leaving the office everyone outside was rushing to get home. Warren st station was closed so i had to go to Euston sq station and it was packed with people trying to get home and everyone seemed worried. I never have experienced anything like it.
  • Options
    I was working for the National Maritime Museum, I had just come down from inspecting the roof of the Brass Foundry at Woowlich Arsenal and was told that a plane had crashed into one of the towers, its only when we drove back to Greenwich and saw the tv coverage in the office we realised something huge was going on, got dragged into a meeting with our Director (I was a involved in Safety and Security) who asked us possible the most stupid question ever, is the museum at risk? I managed to point out we would not be that high on the list of targets! I do remember getting a call to upgrade our security status from the Cabinet Office, and then worrying for my nephew who worked for Bank of New York in Canary Wharf. Dont think we left the TV after that until we left for home.
  • Options
    I was sitting in a waiting room at Erith Hospital waiting for a check up following an operation i had just had and they had the radio on when the news broke.

After my check up i went into the bookies at Northumberland Heath and it was on every screen in there
  • Options
    I was working for Cunard in Southampton, at the very moment the 1st plane impacted I was walking through the marketing department where they always had a TV monitor switch on to the news - saw the whole thing - two months later due to the turndown in travel Cunard rationalised and made me redundant!

I then started my own business and worked from home and a year later my wife collapsed at home with a severe brain haemorrhage - if I hadn't been there to dial 999 she would have died.

So out of a most terrible event for so many people there was,for me, one very good result.
  • Options
    Strange how the world works eh lancashire
  • Options
    We were in Waterstone's basement cafe in Picadilly and wondered why everyone was looking at the TV. The images of people jumping out of the windows have just stuck in my mind. For the anniversary, we were in Cairo where the feast days following Ramadan had just started. No sense whatever of anything ever happening here, except for the Coptic Christian tour guide who asked for a minutes silence on our tour coach. Outside the coach, the chaotic end of Ramadan celebrations continued, slightly jarring to our Western eyes and ears. But we have been made enormously welcome and the friendliness we have encountered is overwhelming. Young male children wear US cowboy style shirts with much pride. Such strange and unnerving contrasts. RIP.