Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

McCormack

edited August 2010 in General Charlton
Though he was excellent on Friday... and on the first day of the season, seems to be well up for ...

And well taken goal, headed back across the keeper..

Looking forward to seeing his contribution this year..

Comments

• Options
    Agree. He looks like he's the perfect replacement for Bailey.
  • Options
    I have to agree on that. He looks the tough little midfielder we need. I like him!
  • Options
    if he gets into double figures goals wise then Bailey won't be missed.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I doubt he will get to double figures on the goal front. Hope he does. So far his central midfield play looks like what Bailey thought he was all about but when he played there. Bailey had converted from an all round midfielder half decent at everything to just a goalscorer from midfield. A vital and important source of goals but someone who was hard to accommodate into a midfield four. In fact, not too dissimilar to Gerrard or Lampard for England.
  • Options
    Really like him so far, looks a more than able replacement for Bailey.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I like him as well. I worry he'll pick up a lot of suspensions - but I'm sick of seeing midfielders who ponce about instead of getting stuck in. Looks like a 'proper' all-rounder in the Kins mould (though obviously not as good!)

I also loved the genuine delight when he scored - I think Parky's made signings who want to play for the club and each other. Of course, its early days and may all fall apart, but it looks like this season could be a lot more enjoyable than the last couple of years.
  • Options
    Best of all he got a few knockers on here during pre-season and has obviously improved his performances as the season gets real.
    He was quality on friday along with most of the team.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oldbloke[/cite]Best of all he got a few knockers on here during pre-season and has obviously improved his performances as the season gets real.

I suspect that some of his knockers were due to where he came from rather than how good he was.
  • Options
    very similar to Bailey, although doesn't look like his head will drop and he'll start spraying ridiculous balls.

Like him very much, done the best out of signings so far although they've all done well
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: oldbloke[/cite]Best of all he got a few knockers on here during pre-season and has obviously improved his performances as the season gets real.

I suspect that some of his knockers were due to where he came from rather than how good he was.

He actually looked terrible in pre-season and was anonomous in games especially Watford. I think it just goes to show how much those games actually mean, as I don't think we've missed Bailey thus far, due to McCormack.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2010
    Not as flash as Bailey but in some ways he looks more effective
  • Options
    Nice surprise this one.

As player said he looked decidedly average in pre-season. Has been superb in the 2 games I have seen so far.
  • Options
    looks a different player to the one I saw at Welling last month.

I'll hold my hands up & admit I got it wrong a couple of weeks back............been impressed with what I've seen so far and looks a good replacement for Bailey

Just need a replacement for Mendonca now !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]very similar to Bailey, although doesn't look like his head will drop and he'll start spraying ridiculous balls.

Like him very much, done the best out of signings so far although they've all done well

Agree. He may or may not score as many as Bailey, that remains to be seen. Hopefully though, although judging him only on two games, McCormack will keep possession better without the silly passes resulting in goals against us.
  • Options
    Looks tough in the tackle, seems committed and eager to get his point across on the pitch. Nice to see someone in the middle of the park talking to the rest of the team. Not quite got the flair of Bailey and probably not the shooting range of Bailey, however he battles, when he gets knocked he doesn't roll around whinging about it like Bailey used too.

We won't get the same goals out of him but i do feel his committment in the middle of the park will be better. Still early though. First impressions of him are good though.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Well, we have a good fight for the CM between McCormack and Racon.

We do still need a midfielder that can play/cover either wing (or one for each). We initially though thought that Martin would do this job but he is looking a little too promising up front at the moment.
  • Options
    I was really impressed by him, his focused energy and determination is something we have not had since Parker. With our first choice full backs and wingers all able to assist to a very good level, and both Kyle and Waggy able to get 7-8 goals in a season I'm not bothered about him scoring the same as Bailey. Indeed when they play together it'll be great that Docherty & Dailly, Mc & Semedo, and Abbott will defend and battle being very strong through the core of our team.

Bailey's one weakness was his defensive positional acumen, you can't knock his will to make a tackle just that in cm he all too often left gaps that Semedo had to doubly work hard to fill. Having a centraly strong spine, will give many of our other players to utilise their more dynamic skills.
  • Options
    Not surprising that a player of McCormack's style didn't shine in pre-season, when the pace is a bit slower and there's less out and out aggression required. Delighted he has fitted in so well, so quickly.

Yes, we might miss Bailey's goals (though as others say these could come from elsewhere with this team), but his play-acting and wayward passing won't be missed, let alone his penalty-taking...sorry, Nicky!
  • Options
    I expect him to pick up bookings, but I also expect him to get better when pitches are worse and the weather is cold and chite...good impression so far.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]I expect him to pick up bookings, but I also expect him to get better when pitches are worse and the weather is cold and chite...good impression so far.[/quote]

Is there something you know about him that we don't. Does he enjoy playing on bad pitches in crap weather?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes impressed, so far!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mendonca[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]I expect him to pick up bookings, but I also expect him to get better when pitches are worse and the weather is cold and chite...good impression so far.

Is there something you know about him that we don't. Does he enjoy playing on bad pitches in crap weather?

I don't know if he enjoys it or not, I just don't think he will whinge about it, but relish the situation.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]
    Bailey's one weakness was his defensive positional acumen

What about his passing, which was too often abysmal?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: gilbertfilbert[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]
    Bailey's one weakness was his defensive positional acumen

What about his passing, which was too often abysmal?

Thats a little unfair. Many a game was he the only player that got the ball down and tried to play it into Burtons feet. I do however, think he sometimes tried to force the issue a bit too much when there wasnt too many options available.
  • Options
    I wouldn't say Bailey's passing was too often abysmal .......when he kept it simple, it was very effective.

Where he sometimes came unstuck was by trying the 'killer ball' - when it came off, he rightly got the applause but often was unable to weight it correctly, so overhit or underhit, or difficult to bring down at an awkward height under pressure.
    Result possession surrendered cheaply.

As the Americans say, "KISS .....Keep It Simple Stupid!".

To be fair to Bailey .....he loved being skipper but that seemed to make him try and take on the role of Superman within the team, as he tried sometimes a little too hard to make things happen.

In comparison, McCormack seems to constantly keep it simple, doesn't get too ambitious or rely on the killer ball.
    Early days yet, of course, but so far not taking undue risks.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: cfgs[/cite]Not as flash as Bailey but in some ways he looks more effective[/quote]

Have to agree - Let's hope he doesn't faff about with it on the edge of our box, which Bailey was prone to doing!

Only 2 games gone, but good signing so far.
    B/C +
    lol
  • Options
    a real geniune tough midfielder,whats not to like
  • Options
    Don't take no prisoners with tackling, like him
  • Options
    we are far better balanced with a CM who plays in CM

we tried to accomodate Bailey last season because he was a good player but also captain even if it meant playing him in left mid,

one of our biggest issues last season imo and proberlay a big part of the reason we didnt go up

i like my CM to look and play like mac he seems the sort to die for the cause and the team, he has shown that he is hard and battle ready i like that alot
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]we are far better balanced with a CM who plays in CM

we tried to accomodate Bailey last season because he was a good player but also captain even if it meant playing him in left mid,

one of our biggest issues last season imo and proberlay a big part of the reason we didnt go up

i like my CM to look and play like mac he seems the sort to die for the cause and the team, he has shown that he is hard and battle ready i like that alot[/quote]

In fairness that was hardly Bailey's fault.

Hopefully to play people in their correct positions is one of the lessons Parkinson has learned from last season.