Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

is akpo the new leaburn?

does anybody else think akpo is showing similar characteristics to legend leaburn?;->

Comments

• Options
    Leaburn had a very good 1st touch and turn for a big man and was the master at bringing team mates into the game - most of Charlton's attacking play went through him, although was well capable of having the 'Lisbies' in front of goal.

Akpo is more direct, more athletic and a workhorse in the team. He's best using his physical presence up front.
    His touch is good enough providing he's not under pressure. Not blessed with Leaburn's skills level but brings something to the team that's very much necessary in the Third Division.

Sorry Sillav, not really similar players in my book.
  • Options
    Both tall, black, local lads and a bit of a soft target for the boo boys - but in terms of playing style they're not particularly similar imo.
  • Options
    oggy, I guess I was referring to both players ability to miss goals when it would have been easier to score?
  • Options
    Why don't you just boo him, Sillav. That'll help?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: sillav nitram[/cite]oggy, I guess I was referring to both players ability to miss goals when it would have been easier to score?

When has Akpo done that though? 4 goals in 9 starts.
  • Options
    SE23 - spot on. Sodje's inability to jump for the ball given how tall and powerful he is simply drives me mad.
  • Options
    why are you assuming it was a criticism, chunes, you'll notice I used the word " legend " in front of leaburn and it doesn't automatically go that I don't recognise other parts of a players performance, so " booing " is a bit of a stupid comment! ?;-<
  • Options
    7 goals I thinks Akpo has in 11 starts.

Took the donkey Leaburn about 5 seasons to get that many.

Akpo can't jump? You are kidding?

And who set up waggy for the 3rd goal v Os? Yes it was Akpo.

I guess that now waggy, solly and macca are suddenly good players we needed a new scapegoat - )
  • Options
    A Sheffield Wednesday mate said to me "oh, you got Akpo. He's just a big lump."
  • Options
    I'm designing some 'I saw Akpo score' iron on transfers, anybody want one...?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The new Leaburn........ surely harsh!......
    Division 1's 'Heskey' a better title
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: sillav nitram[/cite]does anybody else think akpo is showing similar characteristics to legend leaburn?;->

Erm no. he's nothing like Leaburn.
  • Options
    Not in the slightest they are totally different------ Leaburn's forte was holding the ball up, which he was good at. Leaburns touch was better than Akpo's in my opinion, but then Akpo's first touch is one of the worst, can he score more frequently than Leaburn we will find out this season, praps (in Curbs tongue).

Leaburn was maligned because of his lack of goals and became a cult hero basically from fans ironic chanting of his name as a joke, but to be honest he seemed to improve from that point.
  • Options
    Identical in as much as they both divide opinion.
  • Options
    Leaburn was a better player than Sodje, but they are also different in what they bring to the team.
  • Options
    If Akpo played 350 games for us I'd be confident he'd scored more than 50 odd goals.

That being said, I loved Carlo.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    In regards to the Akpo cant jump comment, it seems like he honestly had trouble judging timing when he first joined. Then suddenly, Norwich at home he started to win headers. Strange one really.
  • Options
    can we not just get off his f**king back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]can we not just get off his f**king back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is Charlton. For some reason a section of our fans feel they have to get on someones back. It's really sad.
  • Options
    No way is he Leaburn, very different in turns of touch and flicks. I like Akpo as an impact sub, did well in the build up for third goal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If Akpo played 350 games for us I'd be confident he'd scored more than 50 odd goals.

That being said, I loved Carlo.WSS quote......

Poor guy, hardly straps a pair of boots on and we as the fans are on his back!.....

I have no idea wether he will develop into the player that as a Charlton fan we crave for, or
    Wether the poor guy will fail!...... To me I have my reservations, but go on Akpo fill your boots and
    all the knows all on here ( including myself) can eat humble pie and pray at your feet.. when you score 20 goals a season!
  • Options
    I love Big Akpo!
  • Options
    Leabburns appearances were in the top and 2nd tier I don't think kakpo will make too many of them for us
  • Options
    Easy targets and very cheap shots at them. Both give/gave 100% and under-rated by many. How about
    concentrating on the positives this season?
  • Options
    akpo has scored 7 in 11 starts when did leaburn do that

i loved corlo and still do was a massive part of my charlton from years gone by

akpo is not and should never be used in the same question
  • Options
    I can't understand why people just don't get behind the team instead of looking for non existent donkeys to Boo. They did it with Lisbie and he left and scored goals . The morons did it with Mooney and he had a good scoring record and was a good player.
    I remember it happening with John Robinson and Kishishev at the back end of Their Charlton Careers and they are two of the most dedicated player ever to be seen at The Valley .

I have a novel idea . How about getting behind the team instead if booing them then maybe we might stand a chance of promotion or an even better idea , bugger off to Millwall,
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    i think Akpo will get at least 10 goals this season and personally i think that will justify having him in the squad.
    Parky will bring in another striker and that will most likely drop Akpo down to 3rd choice, 4th if you include Martin. 10 goals for a 3rd/4th striker would be a pretty good contribution.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bedsaddick[/cite]
    I remember it happening with John Robinson

Don't think so. Surely not?

If anyone did ever dare boo him then they should have been banned from the Valley
  • Options
    I'm 99% sure that when people pass comment on here saying they don't rate player X or manager Y they don't booooo them at the games and they get behind whoever is representing charlton
    So what is the problem with passing a view that isn't flattering about a player on a website
    Touchy and precious , springs to mind !