Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Moped/ Scooter advice

One for the young un's on here. have been able for the last couple of months to borrow the inlaws 2nd car during the week for work. this is about to end any day now as there selling there main car and will use the 2nd all the time. I cant afford to buy another car and its a fair old slog from northheath to charlton on the bus. am looking into scooters. can drive one without having to do the cbt but only up to 50cc, is this right? am i not allowed to drive a 125cc without doing the CBT? i have been looking around and a decent bike seems to be the peoguet Speedfight. Any advice on good decent cheapish bikes that A) wont kill me and B) will get me up and over shooters hill without a 15 mile tailback behind me, as i am a big guy im gone need some power to get all my ample poundage around without looking like a tool. have seen some scooters for sale brand new online for 600 notes but seem to good to be true. any help much welcomed.

Ad.

fat_guy_moped1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    CBT can be arranged either weekday or weekend from what I can remember. Definatly go for 125 or you will have to get off bike when going over shooters hill and push lol. Try and get one that you can keep the crash helmet under the seat when you park up. Also make sure you keep it out of sight when parking at home or someone will try and have it away!!!
  • Options
    Doing 0% finance on bikes at the place next to Blockbusters in Welling. You need 20% deposit which I think works out at £460 and £60 a month after.

I've just ordered one, think it cost me not far over £2k.
  • Options
    50cc for anyone other than 16 year old boys is pointless. Get a 125. The £600.00 stuff you are seeing online will be Asian imports which are unlikely to have any dealer networks and as a result you will struggle with servicing and spare parts. Total false economy.

Have owned four scooters over the years and the Gilera Runner was the best by a mile. Easy to service, cheap to run and cheap spares.

I stopped riding after 3 accidents in 2 years. None of which were my fault. I'd do your CBT whatever size engine you get.

Buy the most expensive helmet you can afford. Having seen the damage to the £300.00 Arai I owned, after my first accident focuses the mind.

I also found that insurance went up every year. If at all possible get fully comp. Some little scrote will try and nick whatever you buy and will often leave a large repair bill if they fail.

If you buy used, dont buy without a service history. These things dont have the most refined engines and have quite short service intervals.
  • Options
    If you can get hold of a good second hand one get the Honda Pantheon. I used one for courier work for 2 years. I never had any trouble with it and was doing 60,000 a year on it. Plenty of poke when you need it too. Can fit two lids under the seat and ie extremely comfortable. Its a Honda what more needs to be said?
  • Options
    Surely for £600 you can get a semi decent small second hand car??
  • Options
    It can stu, but its the insurence petrol tax etc.. on a car which is half the cost on a scooter, do scooters have mots?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]It can stu, but its the insurence petrol tax etc.. on a car which is half the cost on a scooter, do scooters have mots?

Scooters over 3 years, same as cars.
  • Options
    i got a car now but recently sold my peugeot speedfight 2, was a brilliant bike. Obviously de-restriced increased speed from around 28mph to around 55mph but be warned it is illegal, but don't think i've ever heard of an occasion where someone's been told off for it.
  • Options
    Of course I would never do that mate but if one was to consider it how and where would it be done not that I would of course....
  • Options
    Derestricting - depends on how the engine has been restricted. Some bikes are easy to do as the exhaust is obstructed in someway and you remove the "bung". I read someone about more sophisticated methods.

Be careful about claimed speeds and actual speeds. I swapped the exhaust on my first Gilera and the speedo told me I was doing 80 down the M20. When I got someone to follow me in a car it turned out to be closer to 70.

To be honest on wheels that small 65 feels a bit hairy!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    oh yeah.....derestricting also counts as a modification and will invalidate your insurance.
  • Options
    As someone mentioned above:

DO NOT TRY TO SAVE MONEY ON A CRASH HELMET - GET THE BEST YOU CAN AFFORD (It's the best advice you'll get).

I had a very serious accident on a motorbike and am so lucky to still be here, I was shocked at the damage to my crash helmet which, thankfully was a very good one, and definately saved my life.

When I was in hospital, for 3 months, my Dad met another Dad who had just said goodbye to his kid when they turned off his life support (serious head injury). Apparently, his kid had been using some old second-hand crappy helmet and it didn't protect him at all.

I don't ride bikes any more, too dangerous (not me, it's the other car drivers that cause a lot of accidents, they just don't see you til it's too late). I've had a few mates in bad scrapes too.

You only get one life mate, be sensible, like I said: get a very good helmet.
  • Options
    Adam, Get over to Aye Gees in Welling , bottom of shooters hill. I've been riding for 30 years, they are a friendly bunch and will give you all the info you need without taking the P. They also have a good range of kit too.
    Another tip re scooters, get the most powerful one you can afford, the slow ones (50cc and some of the 125s) are dangerous cos they cant get away from the traffic. Bates at West Hill Dartford conduct CBTs on their premises. Buy the best kit, Helmet, gloves decent kevlar jacket etc, you can afford, when you have a lie down in the road (you will) you will be grateful, when you have decided, note the sizes and look online for better prices. I think you will stuggle to get much for £600 though. A decent helmet with the Gold Seal (a must) can be £200+ up to £500, but if you buy the scooter from a shop it gives you some clout on discounted gear.

RE derestricting, no one has ever been nicked for it, it is impossible to police.

Try these links

http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/1/

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/
  • Options
    Often considered this, seems a good idea, and an alternative to a second car, which let's admit it is becoming a big expense!.

I think an old fart like me would just look sad on one of these, and I would be the type that would bugger about with the modifications and that as others have said
    would invalidate the insurance. Having had lads that have stuck a set of alloys on a fiesta and the insurance company not prepared to pay up when it was stolen I have learnt that either have a straight car/bike insurance or
    not bother!. You really cannot be a little bit 'illegal'. Scooters always seemed a bit 'fragile' as well, but that probably is not so true now-adays . Anyway I need to loose some weight so a bush pike for me I think is more a reality.

Now where is that puncture kit!...
  • Options
    Mrs Lout has just returned to twp wheels and bought a 125cc scooter. She tried a 50cc, but they are dangerously slow in my opinion.

She bought one of those dodgy Chinese machines mentioned above - I can't see the problem - it was good value and there is a guy in Barnhurst who is more than happy to service them - Bens Bikes.

I did my CBT a couple of weeks ago, so I can (in theory) also take the scooter out if needs be.
  • Options
    It's good fun mate, you will enjoy it. You must take note that de-resitricting your scooter does invalidate the insurance therefore if you do crash and they do tests on your bike and find it, you will be liable.

But believe me, there's nothing better in the summer than breezing past all the traffic with the wind in your face. Lovely feeling, almost as good as when charlton win...
  • Options
    I've ridden a Vespa for the last 12 years or so and - as far as I know - will never give up scootering as a way of commuting.

Definitely get a minimum of 125cc, do your CBT, get a full face crash helmet that is the best you can afford and then get scootering... Can't give advice on type of bike as I have only ever ridden Vespa's (T5, PX200 and now back to PX125) - all of which have been/are brilliant.. The T5/PX models are no longer made (or being phased out) as they simply keep going and so no-one was buying the new 'twist and go' Vespa's, which says a lot to me about their reliability...

Cheers
  • Options
    Looking to do my cbt down in thamesmead near the business academy, anyone done it? How hard is it? Have only ever riden push bikes..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]Looking to do my cbt down in thamesmead near the business academy, anyone done it? How hard is it? Have only ever riden push bikes..

As I mentioned above, I've just done my CBT. You can do it "with gears" or without. I chose to do it with gears and found it tough to do one bit - the powered U-turn - you have to control the speed using the clutch and brake. I wanted to do it with gears in case I decide to take it further, but if you are only ever going to ride a "twist & go scooter", you maybe should just go for the easiest CBT.

It's a tough day and there's a lot to take in, so get a good night's sleep beforehand.