Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Prem 25 Squads

How does this new rule work? Are the squads of 25 to be announced tomorrow? There are going to be so many Prem players not in squads. Liverpool, City and Aresenal all have well over 50 players. Surely this means there will be loads of young loannies available? Will JJ make Liverpools squad?
Is there a Christmas window for the squads or other flexability?
Anyone know?

Comments

• Options
    Good point but I think Under 21's do not need to be in the 25 and can still play, so Jon Jo could still play for them in the Prem even if he is not in the 25 .

However, as we have seen with Fry some opportunities are emerging
  • Options
    Going by Football Manager (the fountain of all knowledge)....

As Richard said players under 21 don't need to be registered, flexability is usually just that you can submit an edited squad during the transfer window.

Football Manager and I stand to be corrected and i'm sorry if this info is wrong
  • Options
    I see, thanks for that chaps.
  • Options
    I don't think the squad has to be announced until September.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: RedArmySE7[/cite]I don't think the squad has to be announced until September.[/quote]

Yeah, I've got a feeling the deadline is after transfer window closes so early september
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedArmySE7[/cite]I don't think the squad has to be announced until September.

correct and all players under 21 don't count so JJ will be fine
  • Options
    I think this rule was very much a motivator for Liverpool bringing him in.

I like the idea, but not sure that it'll have the desired effect. If clubs start bringing in lots of foreign U21s it might mean less opportunities for domestic players in the reserve and youth sides.
  • Options
    the U21s have to have been at English/Welsh club(s) for at least 3 years I think eg. Fabregas wouldve qualified
  • Options
    Should be quite a few players filtering down as players go out on loan to Championship sides, then Champ players coming down to L1 etc.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I think the whole english transfer market is waiting for the 25 lists to come out as said there are going to be some top players frozen out and looking to play regular football. I could easily see some premiere talent in league one if they really want to play and there parent clubs will pay there wages still. Look at man city, bellamy, ireland, onuha richards all may not make the 25 cut. Once the squads are announced watch the deals going flying around. On talksport the other day they said some mangers might not give places to injured players so where will they go to get fit once better?? Jonathan woodgate anyone for 6 months.... yes please.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think there could be opportunities with this, as I am not too sure that this has been thought out and duly considered.

The likes of Bellamy are already looking around, which will displace other players at Championship/Prem clubs, hopefully at Christmas there may well be players wanting to play and prepared to come to Charlton who will dependent on the league position. Bit of a punt...... ifs and might be, never know JJ might be loaned back to us on a short term basis...... well you can only hope!
  • Options
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1297855/New-25-man-Premier-League-squad-rule-big-earners-sitting-out.html
  • Options
    Can't actually see this working - the big clubs will work around the rules to suit themselves. We already see clubs signing foreign players at a very young age, which will by-pass this 'home grown' rule anyway. It might mean that some Premier League squad players will simply move down a league or two until the next change, as said above.
  • Options
    Ha ha for once the premier league seems to have done something sensible, although one downside is the pillaging and stockpiling of youth talent who will languish in these top club - but I guess they can be sent on loan.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PaulCAFC[/cite]Can't actually see this working - the big clubs will work around the rules to suit themselves. We already see clubs signing foreign players at a very young age, which will by-pass this 'home grown' rule anyway. It might mean that some Premier League squad players will simply move down a league or two until the next change, as said above.

agree, they may need to put a limit on eligible under 21s too at some stage, and or redefine the home grown rule