Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Clive Tyldesley

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]Barry Davis - the commentators commentator.
    Well said, although hasn't he said he will never go back to commentating on football?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LawrieAbrahams[/cite]Best commentator ever = Alan Partridge

Back of the net!
  • Options
    loves the sound of his own chit chat, about time he retired ..  still better than Vicki Sparks though
  • Options
    Most commentators annoy me. I only ever rated Barry Davies and Brian Moore. The rest have been shit (including Motson).
  • Options
    Most commentators annoy me. I only ever rated Barry Davies and Brian Moore. The rest have been shit (including Motson).

David Coleman was the best ever football commentator - pretty good with athletics as well!
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Why is this man on tv? For the Spain Costa Rica game he spent ages prattling on about some player going out with the bosses daughter and wouldn't drop it. It wasn't interesting anyway, but he just went on and on and on. Later on he came out with the most insightful comment you'll hear, that South American sides at the Would Cup are always something of an unknown. No they aren't Clive. They are all teams of professional players. All their matches are televised and all of their stats are available. If they are an unknown to you, it's because you haven't done your job. Your role is to tell us something insightful not to fill the air with inanities. If you aren't up to it, do the honourable thing and resign.
    Sounds like he comes from the Danny Murphy school of research. Murphy was surprised to see Mbappe on the left last night. Where he always plays. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:

David Coleman was the best ever football commentator - pretty good with athletics as well!
    John Arlott and Richie Benaud for cricket although I would throw Bumble into the mix for the humour he would bring to proceedings. 
  • Options
    Stuart Storey who did a lot of Athletics / Olympic commentary... But then I'm going to be a bit biased with that one, as he was my Nan's boss when he worked in Woolwich
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Stuart Storey who did a lot of Athletics / Olympic commentary... But then I'm going to be a bit biased with that one, as he was my Nan's boss when he worked in Woolwich

He was the Director of PE when I was at Thames Poly - he improved my golf swing no end. Just a shame it didn't last into my dotage!

Stuart and Ron Pickering - what a double act.

• Options
    bobmunro said:

He was the Director of PE when I was at Thames Poly - he improved my golf swing no end. Just a shame it didn't last into my dotage!

Yeah thats where my Nan worked for him, apparently she'd often have to take charge of everything for him, whenever he had to go off and do the Olympic Commentary
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

I met Stuart at Thames Poly too. Good bloke and a fine commentator. 

When I was at the Poly Stuart was coaching Geoff Capes and Geoff would often turn up in the weights room for a session. You wouldn't believe the weights he moved seemingly effortlessly. Geoff was a good bloke too.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

John Arlott and Richie Benaud for cricket although I would throw Bumble into the mix for the humour he would bring to proceedings. 

Can't disagree with that - especially Benaud. "What a remarkable shot that was!"

I've always preferred TMS for commentary and Johnners and Blowers took some beating too.  "The bowler is Holding the batsman's Willey" (although there is no evidence it was ever said on air). With expert analysis by Freddie Truman - "Effort ball, EFFORT BALL, every ball should be a bloody effort ball".
    Talking of TMS, my eldest son, Christian, went out for the World Cup and met up with my youngest, Seb, who is playing in Adelaide. One of Seb's group of friends that he introduced Christian to is Sam Martin-Jenkins, the grandson of CMJ (and I believe son of Robin). Christian, who is 10 years older than Seb asked Sam if he was related to CMJ whereas Seb hadn't a clue who CMJ was. All "Sarf London Seb" knew was that his room mate from last year was a rather posh lad from Eton but that Sam takes "being posh" to another level all together! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agree with everyone about Tyldesley, but Dion Dublin really did my head in on one of the earlier games. Absolute Radio have also given him a channel for Football Anthems. Prattles on about when he was the best No.9 in the country. He just hasn’t got the voice for commentating. Or talking! 
  • Options
    I’m a broken record on this subject but as this thread has popped up again I can’t resist the temptation to vent my spleen about the the imbeciliic pompous sanctimonious oaf that is Tyldesley. His performance the other night was remarkable even by his unbeatable standards of sanctimony. Sadly he is training  his successor Mattersmug to take over where he left off.  Add this pair of self important Herbert’s on ITV to BBCs contingent (the shrieking Cowan and the lisping Sparks for starters) and I’m now at the stage where I watch with the sound off. The Qatar setting has given them all an extra political angle to waffle on about as well as footie. In fairness to the female commentators on the beeb, their actual content is pretty good, it’s just that their voices are unlistenable. Cowan in particular is excruciating. I recall a particular rendering of “Vardeeeeeeeeeeee” that had my then neighbours knocking on my door to make sure I hadn't murdered my wife. Not a sexist thing - Jaquie Oatley is a superb commentator in my book and a number of the male commentators are just as irritating in their own way. But surely to goodness it must be obvious to the powers that be that there is a fitness for purpose issue here. 
  • Options
    I’m a broken record on this subject but as this thread has popped up again I can’t resist the temptation to vent my spleen about the the imbeciliic pompous sanctimonious oaf that is Tyldesley. His performance the other night was remarkable even by his unbeatable standards of sanctimony. Sadly he is training  his successor Mattersmug to take over where he left off.  Add this pair of self important Herbert’s on ITV to BBCs contingent (the shrieking Cowan and the lisping Sparks for starters) and I’m now at the stage where I watch with the sound off. The Qatar setting has given them all an extra political angle to waffle on about as well as footie. In fairness to the female commentators on the beeb, their actual content is pretty good, it’s just that their voices are unlistenable. Cowan in particular is excruciating. I recall a particular rendering of “Vardeeeeeeeeeeee” that had my then neighbours knocking on my door to make sure I hadn't murdered my wife. Not a sexist thing - Jaquie Oatley is a superb commentator in my book and a number of the male commentators are just as irritating in their own way. But surely to goodness it must be obvious to the powers that be that there is a fitness for purpose issue here. 
    a superb analysis .. and not one curse or swear word .. impressive