Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Paul Smith keeper at Nottingham Forest

Seen that Paul Smith has just been transfer listed at Forest. He started his career at the Valley could he be heading back a good keeper IMO.

Comments

• anyone will be an improvement
  • What's Robbie ever done to you Oooah? Unusual to have a keeper that divides opinion. I don't think he's future England material, but I think he's more than good enough at this level, and I think most folk agree. What specifically about his game concerns you?
  • Why would we pay a fee for Smith when Marshall, who is experienced and proven, is available for nowt?
  • edited July 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]What's Robbie ever done to you Oooah? Unusual to have a keeper that divides opinion. I don't think he's future England material, but I think he's more than good enough at this level, and I think most folk agree. What specifically about his game concerns you?

i think his handling is apalling for a keeper , far too many easy spills and flaps for a professional keeper
    and in my 34 years of watching charlton he is the worse regular keeper we have had , which i suppose is about right cos this is the worse charlton team in my football watching life time
    i have nothing against him personally just think he is pony and one of the reasons we are in our current predicament where as if randy had been given the run robbie had we may have been a championship side now
    would love for him to improve and that may come in time but atm if robbie is our no.1 can't see promotion being a possibility
  • I think Elliot's quality.
  • Paul Smith is a very good goalkeeper at championship/lg1 level
  • Don't think he makes any more errors than can be reasonably expected of a young keeper learning his trade in public. He's brave, sharp, and kicks well as a rule. He's still only had one season; nothing for a keeper, and as long as he's ready to keep learning alongside a more experienced colleague, I have no problem with him at all. Some keepers prefer to hide, staying on their line, making eye-catching reflex saves, but bottling out of coming for any crosses (eg. Mike Salmon). Elliot doesn't; let's give him a break, and not just because he's a Charlton lad.
  • Surely we won't be paying money for a keeper
  • How many keepers in the final quarter of last season kept their team in games at the Valley?

Too many.

Elliot always looks like he's going to give a goal away.

It will interesting to see who plays today.
  • Elliott is not a bad keeper. He is a good shot stopper, but he does flap at the ball a bit. Personally i think he was starting to get a bit comfortable as first choice keeper which wasn't helped by Parkinson's decision to not drop him after he had a few bad games on the trot, probably because he didn't like Randolph. Managers don't seem to like dropping their first choice keepers even when they have been in poor form. Whenever he was fit he played, a couple times even when he wasn't 100% fit. Its not good for him because he won't learn from making mistakes. He has pulled off some superb saves for us over the last 2 seasons and kept us in a lot of games.

However personally i think he is a committed keeper, as said before a good shot stopper, but he is still young and having someone like Andy Marshall around, teaching him and putting pressure on him to improve i think would be a good move.

I can only go back as far as Nicky Johns in terms of keepers, but to say Elliott is the worse keeper we have had in years is a surprising thing to say, especially when you take into account Mike "did that ball just go passed me, yes it did" Salmon. Andy Peterson before that one great season was shocking as well. Mike Amman, also pretty poor. John Vaughn, no comment. Sasa Illic after he got injured against Chelsea was very clumsy, good but erratic beforehand but after that injury really fell of the pace.
  • Sponsored links:

• Yeh can't see us paying money for a keeper.

I agree I really think Elliot is overrated, not appalling but as far as I am concerned the only thing he is really decent at is making himself big for one on ones (which isnt that hard for him as hes a pretty big lad anyway!). Was an absolute travesty that we let Randolph go, he is so so far ahead. Appalling from Parkinson, we had a decent keeper there who probably wouldnt have been on a huge wedge and who we could quite easily have had and who in my opinion will be worth a reasonable sum in the future. We looked so much more solid with him in goal towards the end of the season. That performance in the first leg at Swindon was superb, especially one save he made early on from a header. He also had a superb debut on the last day at Anfield when we had been relegated, loved that game. (only 3 years ago)
  • Paul we did not let Randolph go,he chose to go and play european football, take a three year contract and be told he would definitely start the season as number 1
  • I have never been Robbies biggest fan. I was always amazed that for a professional athlete he allows himself to quite frankly tubby. How the coaching staff allowed that to continue is also a concern. He will no doubt start the season as number one but I am yet to be convinced.
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Paul we did not let Randolph go,he chose to go and play european football, take a three year contract and be told he would definitely start the season as number 1

We could have offered him two of those and I think he would have stayed. Pity because he will go on to bigger things IMHO.
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Paul we did not let Randolph go,he chose to go and play european football, take a three year contract and be told he would definitely start the season as number 1
    What Kap said. Playing in the Scottish Premier league on a 3 year deal with the chance of European football is far better than anything we can offer.

Even if he had been our first choice all season, he wouldn't have necessarily signed a new deal (no one else did during the season), and even if we guaranteed his place here, he may well have taken Motherwell's offer anyway. In fact if he played all season he might have even got better offers than Motherwell.
  • Think you're wrong there Kap! All we had to do to keep Randolph was offer him a new contract and tell him he would definitely start the season as No.1... Parky didn't do that so in my mind he let him slip
  • Robbie Elliot is a good keeper, after a couple of injuries, he didn't look quite so secure. When Randolph was actually given a proper go, we stopped conceeding goals.

Darren Randolph was never really given a proper go, bringing in Ikeme last season was a really poor decision. I am disappointed that Randolph is no longer at the club. You can understand that he wants to be no.1. Parkinson is not going to guarantee that.

Good luck to Darren Randolph.

I am happy with Robbie at No.1 though, he is Charlton through and through.
  • edited July 2010
    [cite]Posted By: paulsturgess[/cite]Think you're wrong there Kap! All we had to do to keep Randolph was offer him a new contract and tell him he would definitely start the season as No.1... Parky didn't do that so in my mind he let him slip
    That's seeing it through the eyes of a Charlton fan. League One or playing Celtic, Rangers and European football (all good for attracting interest, and then maybe a bigger move), and an extra year on his contract (we've not given anyone more than a 2 year deal). Plenty of players would choose Motherwell over us.
  • Was a shame to see Randolph go because he was looking very good in that end of season spell but I don't think Elliot is poor at all, I think that's harsh.
  • See your point in general although not sure I agree with it, European football generally means about 1 round before getting knocked out by some Cypriot team or something, and moving up to Scotland is big upheaval and generally doesn't have the appeal of living in London, plus yeh he gets to play rangers and celtic but the rest of the time he's playing in front of 6,000 fans. Think playing for us would be a better shop window than Scotland personally, especially if we have a good season. You don't hear a lot about players in Scotland other than those at Rangers and Celtic...

And regardless of those pros / cons in general, in this case I believe if we had offered Randolph a new contract, probably even only a 2 year one, and told him he would be 1st choice then he would have stayed. simple as that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Debatable though isn't it. Players don't always see it as "being knocked out in round 1 a Cypriot team".

We might even end up with a better keeper than Randolph and Elliot, lets see what Parky comes up with. Would have been nice to keep Randolph but it's not a disaster.
  • Hate to agree with Oohahh but yes, Elliots handling and positioning makes me nervous...so nervous in fact that I probably wont go again until they get someone decent.
  • Sailor, a bit of an exaggeration there. Robbie Elliot is a capable goalkeeper, not perfect by any stretch, but would do you expect in league one ?

I bet you will be at the valley, like the rest of us, come the start of the season, charlton is always a labour of love.
  • [cite]Posted By: sailor[/cite]Hate to agree with Oohahh but yes, Elliots handling and positioning makes me nervous...so nervous in fact that I probably wont go again until they get someone decent.

Hmmmmmmmmmm .............................
  • [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]I have never been Robbies biggest fan. I was always amazed that for a professional athlete he allows himself to quite frankly tubby. How the coaching staff allowed that to continue is also a concern. He will no doubt start the season as number one but I am yet to be convinced.

tubby? I stood by him at Saints away last season and he ain't tubby. Robbie is a more than decent enough keeper for League 1 and will only get better Marshall as back up and I'll be happy. See he didn't even get on at Watford.
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]What's Robbie ever done to you Oooah? Unusual to have a keeper that divides opinion. I don't think he's future England material, but I think he's more than good enough at this level, and I think most folk agree. What specifically about his game concerns you?

i think his handling is apalling for a keeper , far too many easy spills and flaps for a professional keeper
    and in my 34 years of watching charlton he is the worse regular keeper we have had , which i suppose is about right cos this is the worse charlton team in my football watching life time
    i have nothing against him personally just think he is pony and one of the reasons we are in our current predicament where as if randy had been given the run robbie had we may have been a championship side now
    would love for him to improve and that may come in time but atm if robbie is our no.1 can't see promotion being a possibility

Wipe the tears out your eyes mate...

we dont half have some miserable whingers on this site...
  • I did like Robbie, but last season he made me nervous alot and got rightfully dropped, hopefully he has worked hard in the summer and will start the season with a bang, Paul Smith is a fantastic keeper, he was in the sticks when Forest got out of this league he was in sensational form but he has suffered with his form since promotion and also got replaced, i can't see us spending any money on a keeper, Robbie wll start the season as number one and be given a chance.
  • Given basic ability and positioning (which Robbie has), most goalkeepers just need a run of good results to keep their confidence - and not worry about an occasional error of judgement.

Look at David James, or even Robert Green, for example. Both very good keepers and on their day brilliant.
    But both capable of dropping a clanger.

Robbie made some fantastic saves last season, saves he wasn't entitled to make.
    But he did make a couple of errors ..... particularly that Southend one, and home to Jills a couple of weeks later - and conceded 4 at Millwall inbetween..

But he evidently wasn't fit either, was he?

Now who's responsibility is that .....the player's or his manager's?
  • We need a keeper who call deal with crosses.

We haven't had one for a long time.
  • To think we nearly got Robert Green under Dowie :(