Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Parky to Spend

Comments

• Options
    http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/tn/Sport.cfm?id=26658&headline=Charlton%20insist%20Jose%20Semedo%20will%20stay%20at%20The%20Valley

Murray confirms Semedo staying with us as well.
  • Options

I know, started a seperate thread. Neither are rumours imo.
  • Options
    Or is Murray trying to drum up "a ridiculous offer" for Semedo? Or has he said this so that when Semedo is sold for whatever fee the club can get, Murray will claim it was too good to refuse?

Just call me an old cynic.
  • Options
    "Unless we get a ridiculous offer" ... like we did with Fraser Richardson .........
  • Options
    exciting. Le Fondre please!
  • Options
    We're a cynical bunch arent we.

No, "Well done Richard and the board".

:-(
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]We're a cynical bunch arent we.

They haven't signed anyone yet, not congratulating them for talking the talk. Let's see what actually happens first. (Please not Frisbie)
  • Options
    Bloody hell chaps, look at the news positively for a change instead of cynically. It great that he is valued by Murray and Parky as much as us. Let's hope Parky spends wisely!
  • Options
    excellent news....
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Why a people so excited about potentially signing a striker from League 2? Just because they've scored a few in the league below is doesn't mean anything. McLeod anyone?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WSSWSS
    edited July 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]We're a cynical bunch arent we.

They haven't signed anyone yet, not congratulating them for talking the talk. Let's see what actually happens first. (Please not Frisbie)
    There is intent to release funds for the right player(s) though - surely that is good news rather than saying "Phil, has no money to spend, he is going to have to do his best at scraping the bottom of the barrel".
  • Options
    "If we have to pay a small fee to prise anyone away from their club"....

Charlie Austin please Mr Parky haha
  • Options
    forget Le Fondre in my opinion. These funds are not going to exceed about 250k max imo so we are probably looking at Brodie or Constable from the BSP or maybe Lisbie if Ipswich release him for a nominal fee. Good news but don't get your hopes up too much.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]Why a people so excited about potentially signing a striker from League 2? Just because they've scored a few in the league below is doesn't mean anything. McLeod anyone?

That was a two division jump then and the bad start and loss of confidence ruined him (as well as his questionable attitude).

A good league two scorer with the right attributes and a decent attitude will not find scoring in this division much more difficult, look at the number who've managed it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]Why a people so excited about potentially signing a striker from League 2? Just because they've scored a few in the league below is doesn't mean anything. McLeod anyone?

That was a two division jump then and the bad start and loss of confidence ruined him (as well as his questionable attitude).

A good league two scorer with the right attributes and a decent attitude will not find scoring in this division much more difficult, look at the number who've managed it.

agree. Cant really say there is too much difference between L1 & L2.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]

Wycombe and Gillingham might have something to say about that!
  • Options
    I know our track record is crap but would be happy with a gamble on Richard Brodie if we could get him for under £50k. Just turned 23 years old, 6ft 3 but has a turn of pace, can shoot with both feet and his head, scored 33 goals for York last season and 28 the season before.
  • Options

Because we're never going to afford to buy a striker who has scored goals at our current level. Will we get Lambert, Barnard or Austin? Somehow I don't think so, therefore we have to look lower down.
    Realistically who would you be happy for us to go for?
    Personally i'd expect Le Fondre to go for a decent fee and to a championship club if his club even want to sell him.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It's good news. Parky must have been given his budget at last - was it a toss up between a new player or the big screen? At least, a semblance of stability
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]

Wycombe and Gillingham might have something to say about that!

To be fair, Jackson still scored 17 goals for Gillingham in all comps last season (14 league) in an absolutely rotten team
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If I had to stab at the two, as above ALF is beyond our reach and us probably below his current ambition. Brodie and Lisbie seem the most likely pair but I have no idea why Lisbie would want to come back besides convenience. Although he was never good enough for the top level he was treated ridiculously towards the end.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]forget Le Fondre in my opinion. These funds are not going to exceed about 250k max imo so we are probably looking at Brodie or Constable from the BSP or maybe Lisbie if Ipswich release him for a nominal fee. Good news but don't get your hopes up too much.

Constable is at Oxford who are now in league two and they just made him their club captain so they will probably be quite reluctant to sell him.
    I think Brodie is a more realistic target.
  • Options
    Sounds great!

Nice one ..

So small fee I reckon we go for Jeffers...

hehe
  • Options
    Churlish point but didn't Parkie splash out a whole £15,000 on Matt Spring?
  • Options
    All this talk about strikers is fine. Whilst I agree that we are painfully short upfront and we do need to bring atleast two in, we need to consider the fact that strikers need chances to score goals. Did any of our strikers miss a hatful of chances last year?. IMO no. We simply don't create many chances.

If we have small fees to pay for a couple of players atleast one of those should be focused on a player who can create - Jose & McCormack aren't going to pick a pass and Reid can't be relied upon all the time. Another right winger for me. Don't think Wagstaff will sustain a level of form required for a promotion push.
  • Options
    I'm not saying that we're going to get anyone better than that but people are saying Parky should buy this or that striker because he scored 20 goals in L2. For every Holt there is a Mcleod, for every Lambert there is a Varney.
    I think there is an element of pot-luck with signing a striker unproven at the level above and obviously I hope we can get lucky.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]Why a people so excited about potentially signing a striker from League 2? Just because they've scored a few in the league below is doesn't mean anything. McLeod anyone?[/quote]

Or Varney
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]Did any of our strikers miss a hatful of chances last year?. IMO no. We simply don't create many chances.

On that point, I couldn't really pick a pattern to be honest, I remember games when we didn't have a sniff and thought that the creativity and guile wasn't there and I remember games where we missed a hatfull, it seemed to change by the week!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]All this talk about strikers is fine. Whilst I agree that we are painfully short upfront and we do need to bring atleast two in, we need to consider the fact that strikers need chances to score goals. Did any of our strikers miss a hatful of chances last year?. IMO no. We simply don't create many chances.

If we have small fees to pay for a couple of players atleast one of those should be focused on a player who can create - Jose & McCormack aren't going to pick a pass and Reid can't be relied upon all the time. Another right winger for me. Don't think Wagstaff will sustain a level of form required for a promotion push.

The article does state that Murray and Parky are both aware we are "three or four senior players short" so in an ideal world that'll be a defender, midfielder and 2 strikers.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]

Or Varney

But, Parky didn't sign either of them. Do you mean you don't trust Parky to find a decent striker?