Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Basey and Mooney unlikely to return to Addicks

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Basey has agreed terms with Aberdeen. Good riddance I say. Much better we sign a lad from West Ham and help progress their youngsters.

play another record...
  • Options
    Let's face it, Basey was only ever going to be 3rd choice in any of the positions he can play. I like Basey. But is he better than Jackson, Youga or Reid? No. So him moving on isn't a massive loss if we can get someone who will be cheaper then Parky has done 100% the right thing.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Basey has agreed terms with Aberdeen. Good riddance I say. Much better we sign a lad from West Ham and help progress their youngsters.[/quote]

All well and good saying that but our youngsters have to be good enough to actually develop. Grant is nearly 22 and has never really managed to hold down a first team place due to better players being in front of him and injury.

If at League One we're still getting players in on loan or buying players for his position that tends to mean the management don't think he is quite up to standard.
  • Options
    Good luck to Grant, just didn't quite fit the squad at the moment and we can't afford to being carrying anyone extra really apart from YTS
  • Options
    As said he is nearly 22 and still hasn't found his best position and shown he is good enough to be first choice. We have better players in all four positions that he can play. To stay he'd have probably had to take a wage cut and only got a 1 year deal.

For all his qualities they are things we can or have replaced. He needs regular football to push on and I hope he gets that at Aberdeen.
  • Options
    Basey always looked poor to me - amazed he was kept under contract for so long as he never threatened to establish himself in either a Championship or League One side.

Watch the Millwall home game again - both their second-half equalisers came through the channel between him and Dailly which he should of covered but lacked both the pace and anticipation (reading of the game to do so)

The fact Aberdeen have signed him probably says more about the SPL than anything else...
  • Options
    I liked Grant and think he will eventually develop to play reguarly at a good standard (better than League 1). I think if he'd been thrown in this season, he wouldn't have let anyone down but we do have plenty of other options in his positions so I understand the decision to let him go if I don't agree with it.

I wish him all the best in Scotland, and will keep an eye on how he gets on.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Basey has agreed terms with Aberdeen. Good riddance I say. Much better we sign a lad from West Ham and help progress their youngsters.

We have 2 better left backs, a better left winger and at least 2 better central midfielders. He was also quite slow. I'm intrigued to know where you would have played Basey?
    If the management thought he was good enough, do you think he'd be signing for Aberdeen?
    In fact if he was good enough, do you think he'd be in Scottish football?!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedArmySE7[/cite]Let's face it, Basey was only ever going to be 3rd choice in any of the positions he can play. I like Basey. But is he better than Jackson, Youga or Reid? No. So him moving on isn't a massive loss if we can get someone who will be cheaper then Parky has done 100% the right thing.
    nail and head.

I do think he was doing well before that disgusting challenge though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite]Basey always looked poor to me - amazed he was kept under contract for so long as he never threatened to establish himself in either a Championship or League One side.

Watch the Millwall home game again - both their second-half equalisers came through the channel between him and Dailly which he should of covered but lacked both the pace and anticipation (reading of the game to do so)

The fact Aberdeen have signed him probably says more about the SPL than anything else...

Spot on!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good luck Grant.

He seemed enthusiastic and as though he liked playing for Charlton and he was really unlucky with that horrific challenge.
  • Options
    Shame - I think he'll make a very good centre back or holding midfielder.

I'm a little annoyed by this one but I have faith in Parky
  • Options
    Indeed good luck Grant. I think he'll develop into a very competent champ cd.
  • Options
    He's 22, he should have developed so we know his best position. He hasn't and as much as I'd like to have kept him, needs must, we're well stocked down the left and I'd rather the budget was spent in more pressing areas.

Good luck nonetheless
  • Options
    players like him coming thru the youth team aren't good enough for a promotion push from this level
    and the fact that a player of his limited ability has played 53 times for us is a reason we are in this division and there are still a few of these less gifted youth team products in our first team
  • Options
    Fair point.
  • Options
    I liked Grant, 100% effort kind of player, but ultimately I don't see him as a big loss quality wise. Maybe he will develop into a fine player, he certainly has a good pass/dead ball in him but at this time I have no probs with us letting him go.
  • Options
    Good luck to Grant, he had limitations as a player, but made up for that with a great spirit. It's not always the most talented players who make it, many players who lack a bit of skill or pace have great careers because they graft hard on the training pitch, while other more talented lads don't take that side seriously. Basey seemed to me to be that sort of player - I hope he has found his level and has a great career.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Good luck to Grant, he had limitations as a player, but made up for that with a great spirit. It's not always the most talented players who make it, many players who lack a bit of skill or pace have great careers because they graft hard on the training pitch, while other more talented lads don't take that side seriously. Basey seemed to me to be that sort of player - I hope he has found his level and has a great career.

Well said BFR. I echo that.
  • Options
    I'm not going to miss his group of hangers on that used to sit by us in the West Lower, all wearing skinny jeans, plimpsols and had stupid haircuts - proper Basey groupies they were! :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]I think he'll make a very good centre back or holding midfielder.[/quote]

I agree Swis, especially the holding midfield role.

Good luck Grant, thanks for your efforts with us.
  • Options
    Aberdeen need to find money for Basey's wages

They want to and we didn't. Simples.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]Aberdeen need to find money for Basey's wages

They want to and we didn't. Simples.

Aberdeen supporter comments to the article AA posted above:
    "Basey was a must as he has shown patience and desire to be at Pittodrie. He has a good touch and is a solid full back."

So it seems Grant has gone to a good home. I wish him the best of luck.