Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Footballer's Ankle

Has anyone suffered from this?

Went over on my ankle in Feb,it has been causing me problems since then. No matter how much RICE I give it, it doesn't get better. Went to A&E in May and had a X-ray and was told there was nothing on it. Have had physio both nhs & private. Seen a consultant recently who looked at the same X-ray and he told me, I had a fracture of the lateral malleolus & also anterior tibial footballer's spur. Having a MRI scan this week to confirm laterial ligamentous tear.

Any ideas what can improve this condition?

Comments

• Options
    Mate, ive had this since i turned my ankle when i was 16, im 26 now and still feel like ive got ankles made of glass. With ligaments there is really not alot you can do, it takes quite a bit of time to heal i know that much. When i play now, i strap both my ankles very tightly especially when playing on hard grounds. I know this isnt exactly advice but id just thought id let you know, i know what a pain in the arse it is.
  • Options
    I tore the ligaments in the same ankle 25 years ago. I now 45 walking around like I'm 85. I get a pain like someone is stabbing me with a red hot poker in my ankle and can't stand on it.
  • Options
    Done my exterior and interior ligaments on my knee in December, had my operation 7 weeks ago, went training for the first time last night, felt great, 15 mins into 9 a side game and my left foot just felt like it crumbled, just giving a one two.
    Was up the hospital for 5hrs to discover I have done the ligaments in my foot.
    Then, phone call from the school, back up the hospital with my boy today (well the missus was), he done the exact same thing, we look like a right win double both on crutches.
    Felling very sorry for myself at the mo.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I have flat feet and therefore weak ankles and I went over badly on my right one about 4 years ago, since then I have had persistent issues. It took the NHS a while to actually take a look at it and I had ligament damage, I have also been given insoles and I wore a strap for a while to stop the ankle going over on itself.

Both ankles hurt and I do exercises on them both, my right ankle is the weakest and I even twisted it today in London walking to the station and it hurting as I type. But because of the exercises no where near as bad as it would have done a year ago.

The physio did help but they leave you on your own after a couple of months, it fear I will continue to have issues until I die. My the time I am 40 I fear I will be a cripple, which will be in 10 years time. If I stand on my feet for a long time they really start to hurt which is why I always try to get a train when I commute and never offer my seat to anyone as the pain just gets uncomfortable.

I'm hoping if I continue to be good with the exercises I will continue to see an improvement.

Playing football is a no no due to the twist and turning and tackles mean I will be limping the next day, even with my ankle all strapped up. It has been a long time since I have played football, not that anyone will miss my poor skills. Up to a few weeks ago i was playing basketball, but even then it the next day I would feel soreness so I have packed it up for a it to concentrate on hoping to improve the strength of my ankle.
  • Options
    i always wear double ankle braces beneath my socks and guards these days. I have sprained my ankles twice really badly within 6 months. Both playing football. One time was on my own doing getting my cleats stuck within some crappy artificial turf playing surface and the other time was from a terrible challenge from my opponent. (Think Boateng on Ballack...) X-Rays are pretty much useless for ligament damage. An MRI is the way to go to really evaluate the ankle damage.

My damaged ankle has never been the same since that first really bad sprain. The best you can do is moving forward is to protect yourself during play and do rehab exercises often to help strengthen the tendons and ligaments back together.
  • Options
    Having had a op on my ankle in Nov to remove a bone spur, a clean out and micro fracture, I'm now having another op in Sept. This time, having my ankle broke to get into the middle of it, placing cartilage from my knee to try to improve it. If that does work, talk of having a replacement, however I too young for that, so they tell me.

Missed Rochdale away last season after having booked train tickets 3 months before the game, train ticket booked for this season and it looks likes I'll miss it again. :-(
  • Options
    Have had it all my life. My old man has got it aswell. I go over on my ankles all the time when playing football. Done my ligaments years ago but both ankles are weak and not due to injury. I just try and strap them up as best as possible. When I go over on them I'm kind of used to the pain now so tend to play through it
  • Options
    Have had it all my life. My old man has got it aswell. I go over on my ankles all the time when playing football. Done my ligaments years ago but both ankles are weak and not due to injury. I just try and strap them up as best as possible. When I go over on them I'm kind of used to the pain now so tend to play through it
    That's how I ended up in this position.

• Options
    I am 49 and still playing in a masters/grandfathers league. About 3 years ago I had I had the deltoid ligament replaced in the ankle and the heel cut in half and shifted over to support the left side of the foot. My advice would be to take care of your injuries. Always ice after a knock for 48 hours, 2 or 3 times a day for 10-15 mins. My problem was that I would sprain my ankle when younger and not ice and strap it up and playing a few days later. I just wish I took more care of injuries as I am still fit but the ankle and now knee are causing issues. The doctor tells me i am a candidate for knee replacement and ankle fusion surgery down the road but sod it I still love to play.
  • Options
    yeah i have this to dont think as bad as some on here! but i was badly fouled playing in the soccabox 5 years ago and still get discosfort in it! good luck with your ankles other lifers!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I did left ankle badly playing rugby 25 years ago ( I think a Lifer was playing but had nothing to do with the injury!) I had a cortisone injection in it and it is still sore and the ankle has never been the same since.I would avoid cortisone unless there is no other option.
  • Options
    Understatement of the week Guiness!
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    broke my ankle and sheared my foot out of position about 18 months ago. Got a plate and pins in and although the bone is fine, the ligament damage means it will never be the same again. I used to play 3 times a week but can now just manage 5 a side once a week. I was victim of a bad tackle but can't risk playing 11 a side again now even though i really miss it. Have put on loads of weight since and having a bit of knee trouble on the other leg now which is probably a compensatory injury. Just bought a road bike and hoping it will help me lose weight which should also help with the ankle and knee. I did physio and it did help up to a point but at the same time i got a lot more movement back in it once i packed up the physio as it was constantly in a state of discomfort.