Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Francis Jeffers

Oh Dear Jeffers invited by Blackpool to train with them. how many clubs now (and i don't mean niteclubs)?

Comments

• Options
    Last Chance Saloon I reckon.
  • Options
    Cracking debut for us though.
  • Options
    Had really high hopes when he signed and started well, however he was the victim of our success with 4-5-1 and Bartlett as main man.Jeffers has ability and has done ok in patches but like so many footballers has problems with attitude and behaviour off the field. Last chance saloon, unfortunatly probably not as sure if he fails at Blackpool there will be another manager willing to take a chance on him.
  • Options
    I just find it incredible that managers are willing to pay money to the likes of Jeffers and Marcus Bent when clearly they are not going to do the job.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Shrew[/cite]I just find it incredible that managers are willing to pay money to the likes of Jeffers and Marcus Bent when clearly they are not going to do the job.[/quote]

Especially as he has failed with lower league clubs so going into the Prem seems like madness.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JollyRobin[/cite]Cracking debut for us though.
    yes it was, i thought that a new legend had arrived at The Valley, he never really fulfilled his potetial with either us or any of the other clubs he's been at. Hope it works out at Blackpool for both their sakes
  • Options
    Setting cat among pigeons here: I believe Jeffers was only ever on loan at Charlton. I don't believe he was ever signed permanantly for us. There's something that didn't properly add up.
  • Options
    We bought him for £2.6M then loaned him to Rangers then released him
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Had really high hopes when he signed and started well, however he was the victim of our success with 4-5-1 and Bartlett as main man.Jeffers has ability and has done ok in patches but like so many footballers has problems with attitude and behaviour off the field. Last chance saloon, unfortunatly probably not as sure if he fails at Blackpool there will be another manager willing to take a chance on him.
    Does he have ability though? What does he offer teams? Doesn't even seem to be a great finisher.

Agree attitude probably comes into it, but if he's not scoring I don't think Jeffers offers much.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]Setting cat among pigeons here: I believe Jeffers was only ever on loan at Charlton. I don't believe he was ever signed permanantly for us. There's something that didn't properly add up.
    Just to clarify, there were some interesting, if quiet, rumours at the time, that Jeffers was only on loan from Arsenal. But that his "loan" had to be covered up because we had a number of other loan players at the time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Arsene Wenger must have seen some ability to not only spend so much on him but also to play him- albeit not regularly- Jeffers still played a fair few times for Arsenal and scored some goals (not just in the Carling Cup). In my opinion, and having only seen Jeffers on a handful of occassions, I think he has (or had) a bit of pace, good movement and was actually a decent finisher, his goals for Charlton and Everton certainly showed this.

In Jeffers defence aswell, he has had some injuries over the years which may have contributed to his downfall.
  • Options
    Well who knows, you could say that about any player anywhere.

Jeffers was one of the most frustrating, slack and greedy strikers I've seen play for Charlton. Again and again he passed up clear passes for hopeless "shots" that went wide or dribbled into the arms of the goalie. I wouldn't have him back now, if he came on a free for £100 a week.
  • Options
    I do remember reading that we only paid £500k for Jeffers in the end.
  • Options
    No - sorry - I take that back. I would take him. On a free for £100 a week.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]I do remember reading that we only paid £500k for Jeffers in the end.

So I understand too. But apparently if he'd made 1 more appearance it would have triggered the next instalment to be paid.
    And the club evidently were reluctant to pay that.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Mark Stuart who came through the youth system with Rob Lee and had bucket loads more talent than Lee, never made it, the height of his career was his time at Cahrlton, after that he played for Rochdale, Plymouth and Bradford. In,I think a VOTV, he was interviewed at the tail end of his career and expressed how he regretted that in his youth he had focussed on going out and partying,if he had been more committed to his career he would have been a greater success and probably his winning goal at Old Trafford for Charlton would not have been his career peak.

I suspect that Jeffers may have a similar feelings as he comes to the end of his career.
  • Options
    Wasn't Lennie Lawrence's quote about Mark Stuart - "He'll either end up playing for Barcelona or Bromley"?
  • Options
    Jeffers is pretty much at the end of his career. He has spurned so many chances both on the field and off that it is laughable/pitiful. Once Ian Holloway sees that he offers not very much at all he will be back at the club he has spent most of his time with - Free Agent FC.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcfan[/cite]Wasn't Lennie Lawrence's quote about Mark Stuart - "He'll either end up playing for Barcelona or Bromley"?

Thats qulaity... i also remmeber Amos doing his pull back and leaving several right backs on their backsides.....
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Mark Stuart who came through the youth system with Rob Lee and had bucket loads more talent than Lee, never made it, the height of his career was his time at Cahrlton, after that he played for Rochdale, Plymouth and Bradford. In,I think a VOTV, he was interviewed at the tail end of his career and expressed how he regretted that in his youth he had focussed on going out and partying,if he had been more committed to his career he would have been a greater success and probably his winning goal at Old Trafford for Charlton would not have been his career peak.

I suspect that Jeffers may have a similar feelings as he comes to the end of his career.[/quote]

I doubt it seeing as he's probably a millionaire a few times over!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcfan[/cite]Wasn't Lennie Lawrence's quote about Mark Stuart - "He'll either end up playing for Barcelona or Bromley"?

".... it's up to him", was the rest of Lennie's quote.

Sounded like Lennie was at the end of his tether with him.
  • Options
    I saw every home game Jeffers played for us, yet I only remember seeing him play in 1, the villa game he scored in.

I guess Blackpool aren't going to splash the cash so are looking at these kind of signings, like we are. Going to have some blue sky thinking to get a good signing, as we did in negotiating Reid's and Jacksons releases
  • Options
    Part of the problem was his work ethic, and some here suggest that too much success too soon and the financial rewards meant that he was set up for life and therefore didn't have to try. That is probably true, but I suspect that he simply wasn't in love with the game, or not suffiently enough to make the most of his talent and opportunities.

Why Holloway is even looking at him I don't know, I appreciate that he's got no money and that Jeffers will only ever be a bench player, but sooner or later he's going to be needed and he'll go missing again, by then it'll be January and the excitement of joining a new club would have disappeared.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JollyRobin[/cite]Cracking debut for us though.

that's always the way with us though, they're great until we actually sign them :(
  • Options
    Hss the Venue had to close down, since it's been deprived of Jeffer's custom.....?
  • Options
    Am I the only one that couldn't give flying bag of monkey toss?
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    [cite]Posted By: allez les addicks[/cite]I saw every home game Jeffers played for us, yet I only remember seeing him play in 1, the villa game he scored in

I seem to remember a game at The Valley, against Birmingham I think .... the score was 1-1 and Jeffers came off the bench.

Laid on 2 goals in our 3-1 win.
  • Options
    Hmm, I was hoping 'Olly' would aim a little bit higher than Jeffers. Definitely better freebies available than him!

Jeffers seems to enjoy his time at Last Chance Saloons!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: allez les addicks[/cite]I saw every home game Jeffers played for us, yet I only remember seeing him play in 1, the villa game he scored in[/quote]

I seem to remember a game at The Valley, against Birmingham I think .... the score was 1-1 and Jeffers came off the bench.

Laid on 2 goals in our 3-1 win.[/quote]
    Yup another false dawn for him, looked really good that day