Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

International Retirements

One of world football's top strikers of the past decade announced his retirement from international football today...

...and so did a cheating handballing Frenchman ;o)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8825280.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8826244.stm

Seriously though, is Heskey's international retirement the most pointless since Andy Cole? Hope a few of the "ego club" who have consistently let England down despite being much better players will follow his example...

Comments

• Well, Heskey will be 33 years old in January.

Many players once they get into their thirties make their priority to continue playing in the Prem as long as possible, and eliminate international games to reduce wear and tear on the bodies and the risk of career ending injuries. Paul Scholes is one example that comes quickly to mind.

Remember, the Prem is their bread and butter - and their gravy train.

And it's not as if Heskey will be considered for the Euro champs or even be around for the next World Cup Finals.
  • Puyol is retiring from Spanish duty as well. Though since he's won the Euros and World Cup in the space of two years, not a bad way to go out :o)
  • I've already forgotten where I was when I heard about Heskey's retirement......
  • Jamie Carragher retiring again just proved what a tosser he is!
  • In both Heskey's and Carragher's cases, who bother? I suppose it saves them getting their feelings hurt when they're not picked - ah didums!
  • [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]In both Heskey's and Carragher's cases, who bother? I suppose it saves them getting their feelings hurt when they're not picked - ah didums!

They are both players that are going to be too old to be involved in the next Euro Finals let alone the World Cup.

It clears 2 positions in the England squad for younger players to step up.
  • Ah well, two down, the rest of the bunch of useless hyped up non entities of a squad to go. Unlike many a Saint on here I am a great believer in a good boo. I really do hope that those Dandy Buttholes get an all round good booing around British football grounds this year.......BOO !
  • well soapy the england fans only boooooooooed hard after the pathetic showing against algeria and that resulted in the team bucking up their ideas and gaining a win against slovenia ...
    so this boooooong does have some benefits IMO
    and mark aizlewood (all be it a rare example) is one that improved dramatically when he was boooooed a lot ... so maybe there is hope for dave mooooooney
  • Heskey should have retired before the world cup not after!