Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Live Aid: 13th July 1985

edited July 2010 in Not Sports Related
Was anyone else at Wembley twenty-five years ago today?

Comments

• Options
    No, but my sister was. Jammy cow.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]No, but my sister was. Jammy cow.
    That's a funny name.
  • Options
    My wife was at wembley that day, she said she thinks she only paid about £20 for a tkt
  • Options
    My wife was at wembley that day, she said she thinks she only paid about £20 for a tkt
  • Options
    I was there. Girl at work went up to Wembley one evening to get tickets. Didin't think she had an earthly of geting them so was shocked when she came in the mext day with them.

Fantastic day but didn't really appreciate what a histotic day it was until afterwards.
  • Options
    Nah, thought i was too cool for that kind of thing being only 15.

Lol!
  • Options
    I wish! It was a spectacular time though. A group of us were raising money in Canterbury and we were hardened to the put downs and remarks of the 'look after our own first' type. The day started with a young US student talking to us and she said 'I guess this needs to hurt, right?' and she put a whopping £25.00 into the collecting box. We took up positions around the Cathedral and main shopping areas and people donated in a way I'd never seen before. We later refered to it as 'the day that the world turned kinder'. I was immensely proud to be a Brit. and watching it on TV had me in tears. At the time, Thatcher was on the rampage, we'd had the Falklands War but a nation stood up and said 'We still care'. Magic.
  • Options
    Freddie Mercury became a legend that day.
  • Options
    My Mum was a special Police officer then & was working backstage at that event got the programme autographed by loads of acts that day.
  • Options
    Was 14 years old - went into Dartford in morning to buy new game for my Spectrum (Alien8).
    Rushed back to try game out before the concert started - was really looking forward to Howard Jones !!!!
    Remember the actual line up not being that great - especially early on.
    Will have to dig it up.
    Still get hairs on my neck stand up when I hear that Cars song.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I didn't have a ticket, but recorded the whole event on several VHS tapes! Then about 5 years ago the DVD came out, so the tapes are somewhat redundant, as the DVDs have all the best bits without the endless "Give us yer money" from Sir Bob!
  • Options
    12.02 : Status Quo
    12.19 : Style Council
    12.44 : Boomtown Rats
    13.00 : Adam Ant
    13.06 : INXS (video from Melbourne)
    13.16 : Ultravox
    13.34 : Loudness (video from Japan)
    13.47 : Spandau Ballet
    13.51 : Bernard Watson
    14.02 : Joan Baez
    14.07 : Elvis Costello
    14.10 : The Hooters
    14.15 : Opus (video from Austria)
    14.22 : Nik Kershaw
    14.32 : The Four Tops
    14.38 : B.B. King (video from The Hague)
    14.45 : Billy Ocean
    14.52 : Black Sabbath
    14.55 : Sade
    15.12 : Run DMC
    15.18 : Sting
    15.27 : Rick Springfield
    15.35 : Phil Collins
    15.45 : REO Speedwagon
    15.50 : Howard Jones
    15.58 : Autograph (video from Moscow)
    16.03 : Bryan Ferry
    16.15 : Crosby, Still & Nash
    16.24 : Udo Lindenberg (video from Cologne)
    16.26 : Judas Priest
    16.38 : Paul Young - Alison Moyet
    17.00 Linkup
    between Wembley in the UK and JFK in the US
    17.02 : Bryan Adams
    17.20 : U2
    17.40 : The Beach Boys
    18.00 : Dire Straits & Sting
    18.26 : George Thorogood & the Destroyers / Bo Diddley / Albert Collins
    18.44 : Queen
    19.03 : David Bowie / Mick Jagger ( video)
    19.07 : Simple Minds
    19.22 : David Bowie
    19.41 : The Pretenders
    20.00 : The Who
    20.20 : Santana / Pat Metheny
    20.50 : Elton John
    20.57 : Ashford & Simpson / Teddy Pendergrass
    21.05 : Elton John / Kiki Dee / Wham!
    21.30 : Madonna
    21.48 : Freddie Mercury / Brian May
    21.51 : Paul McCartney
    21.54 : McCartney / Bowie / Pete Townshend / Alison Moyet / Bob Geldof
    21.56 UK Finale from Wembley
    22.14 : Tom Petty
    22.30 : Kenny Loggins
    22.49 : The Cars
    23.07 : Neil Young
    23.43 : The Power Station
    00.21 : The Thompson Twins
    00.39 : Eric Clapton
    01.04 : Phil Collins
    01.13 : Robert Plant /Jimmy Page / John Paul Jones
    01.47 : Duran Duran
    02.15 : Patti LaBelle
    02.50 : Hall & Oates / Eddie Kendricks / David Ruffin
    03.15 : Mick Jagger
    03.28 : Mick Jagger / Tina Turner
    03.39 : Bob Dylan / Keith Richards / Ron Wood
    03.55 US Finale
  • Options
    The Mighty Quo opened the most famous gig ever, why? because they are the greatest rock n roll band ever!! Except maybe The Stones!! They might be better, a bit!!
  • Options
    It's interesting that it really revived the careers of certain bands - Quo being one, Queen and U2 also gained a lot of fans from this concert.

Who's Bernard Watson???
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]It's interesting that it really revived the careers of certain bands - Quo being one, Queen and U2 also gained a lot of fans from this concert.

Who's Bernard Watson???

Not only him, I have never heard of:
    Loudness
    Udo Lindenberg
    Pat Metheny
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]It's interesting that it really revived the careers of certain bands - Quo being one, Queen and U2 also gained a lot of fans from this concert.

Who's Bernard Watson???

Not only him, I have never heard of:
    Loudness
    Udo Lindenberg
    Pat Metheny

Well, Loudbess and Udo Lindenberg I've never heard of but assumed they were foreign and famous in their own backyard. Pat Metheny is an American jazz guitarist.
  • Options
    Saga - Revieved the career of Quo, what you talking about???? FFS!
  • Options
    How did Style Council get so long at the start compared to others?
  • Options

Who's Bernard Watson???

He was a guy who camped outside the Philly stadium in the week leading up to the concert, begging to be allowed to play. In the end the organisers allowed him to opent he show with an acoustic number.
  • Options
    Really wish I went - I taped a lot of it on my VHS but only having a 3hr tape I missed out a lot...........Monthy For Nothing by Dire Straits & all of Queens set ...doh !!

Best bit for me was the Who..........especially Pete Townsend overunning and staying up until 1pm to watch Led Zep (without John Bonham, obviously) play Stairway to Heaven.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]Really wish I went - I taped a lot of it on my VHS but only having a 3hr tape I missed out a lot...........Monthy For Nothing by Dire Straits & all of Queens set ...doh !!

Best bit for me was the Who..........especially Pete Townsend overunning and staying up until 1pm to watch Led Zep (without John Bonham, obviously) play Stairway to Heaven.

My main reason for going was The Who. The screens went down halfway through their 1st song and only came on again for the last 2.

My parents taped the whole thing for me and I was gutted when i got home and realised that the TV broadcast was lost as well.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]Really wish I went - I taped a lot of it on my VHS but only having a 3hr tape I missed out a lot...........Monthy For Nothing by Dire Straits & all of Queens set ...doh !!

Best bit for me was the Who..........especially Pete Townsend overunning and staying up until 1pm to watch Led Zep (without John Bonham, obviously) play Stairway to Heaven.[/quote]

My main reason for going was The Who. The screens went down halfway through their 1st song and only came on again for the last 2.

My parents taped the whole thing for me and I was gutted when i got home and realised that the TV broadcast was lost as well.[/quote]

I know - gutted!!!!!!!! But at least it came back before their set ended and managed to get most of Love Reign Over Me as well
  • Options
    I was playing cricket for Blackheath 2's against The Mote at St Lawrence Ground, Canterbury in the Kent League. Kent were playing at Maidstone.
    Watched the late stuff live after I got back from an evening in Blakes in Eltham High St.
    Now who remembers Blakes?????
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]I was playing cricket for Blackheath 2's against The Mote at St Lawrence Ground, Canterbury in the Kent League. Kent were playing at Maidstone.
    Watched the late stuff live after I got back from an evening in Blakes in Eltham High St.
    Now who remembers Blakes?????

Lovely, friendly, community pub.
  • Options
    Watched some of it on TV - George Thorogood was the highlight - next day was a Rockabilly all dayer in Birmingham, much more important to me at the time. Same as my friend Carmen (whose dad is a famous rock star) - she was offered a seat on the plane with Phil Collins but turned it down to go on the p*ss with her rockin' mates! What a gal!
  • Options
    Come on then, tell us who her Dad is. You know you want to......
  • Options
    I reckon it's Robert Plant :-)
  • Options
    I know that it will upset Henry, but it was not Led Zep!.....
    To me I thought that Queen played a storming set, and although I am not the biggest fan of them, that set was a stormer, compared to anything on a set anywhere!. for Stadium rock.

For me the hightlight was U2, again not there biggest fan , but they captured the mood, and went down well.
    Crosby Stills and Nash were a dreadful dissapointment........

Amazing how some of them flopped.... has anyone seen the Thomson twins since...... did Madonna eat them or something!
    3 minutes for Black sabbath.......6 minutes for the four tops!.....
    Why was there no Micheal Jackson...... was the question I asked, if it was all about mass entertainment then that was a lost opportunity.......

Obviously starving kids not important to sing a couple of songs! . No Rolling stones or Pink Floyd.......

Lack of black artists too which underlines my point of Jackson, did Stevie Wonder have an issue with his tapes! or was that another time.

Got the whole concert on VHS. long play ( 3 tapes) ....... any takers!
  • Options
    Queen were in the middle of a world tour at that time so were on top of their game.

U2 were very good but helped by the crowd. It seemed to me that every other sign/flag/banner had U2 on it. The atmostphere changed for them like no other act, the minute they came on stage.
  • Options
    The America'ns didn't quite get the concept - it took them about 6 months to record "We are the World" and even then some of the artists wanted to money to go to Americans first.

Some just didn't want to appear for free and wanted apperance money or at least a 30 min set.

Philly was no where near as good as London - had to get Phil Collins to jet over there to make it happen,