Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

we still need another keeper?

edited July 2010 in General Charlton
following darrens move to the mothers lol we are in lack of need another keeper ? either someone to push Rob or someone better Tony Warner would be an ideal signing for us he spent last yr on loan and would be a good replacement for darren for free.

Daryl flahaven is on a free along with the clown richard kingston from wigan

Richard Wright is also up for grabs any ideas people ?? on keepers

perhaps we might get a keeper from liverpool ? i wonder if with rafa's exit will this effect us getting players we could do with a few from there res like speering maybe ayala the centre half david amoo he a tricky speedy left winger and perhaps a forward pacheco

Comments

• Options
    Tony Warner would do the job, probably fairly cheap. Other names that are available include Rhys Evans, Scott Shearer, Lewis Price.

No way Flahavan, remember last day of regular season at Oldham. Cannot see us getting one of the younger Liverpool keepers eg: Gulaci, Bouzanis as surely they will need to go somewhere where they will play, not sit on bench.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    we need a keeper that will challenge to be number 1, but also one that going to be patient waiting for his chance. think Warner would be happy to be a bench-warner (har!) and i don't think Elliot would consider him a threat and keep him on his toes.

i think we should get that young reserve keeper that liverpool have just released; chris oldfield. i saw him mentioned on football-rumours and after reading up about him think he would be good back-up for Elliot.
  • Options
    Did norwich sign forrester from newcastle he was emense for them last season on loan, either an experienced pro to help robbie or a young premiere league loanee.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]Did norwich sign forrester from newcastle he was emense for them last season on loan, either an experienced pro to help robbie or a young premiere league loanee.

nah - they gave up and sign John Ruddy instead; couldn't agree on a fee apparently. would be great to him on loan but i think there will be championship clubs interested
  • Options
    Whatever happened to Callum Christie? Why waste money on bringing in a keeper (when Rob Elliot will give 100% whether his place is in jeopardy or not) and bring up another young & talented keeper through our youth system. Shame to lose Randolph, but we've shown we can produce top qualities goalkeepers at this level, lets not go back on that and waste excess money & wages. Bringing in Richard Wright, Tony Warner etc will mean much higher wages than developing another young talent, I fear we get rid of our youth players to quickly nowadays, especially when looking at benchwarmers & enhancing depth in the squad.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JollyRobin[/cite]Whatever happened to Callum Christie? Why waste money on bringing in a keeper (when Rob Elliot will give 100% whether his place is in jeopardy or not) and bring up another young & talented keeper through our youth system. Shame to lose Randolph, but we've shown we can produce top qualities goalkeepers at this level, lets not go back on that and waste excess money & wages. Bringing in Richard Wright, Tony Warner etc will mean much higher wages than developing another young talent, I fear we get rid of our youth players to quickly nowadays, especially when looking at benchwarmers & enhancing depth in the squad.
    Christie was released last summer. He was interviewed in an article in 4-4-2, said we'd have given him a contract if he was 6 ft 2, but he's only 5 ft 10. He spent last season playing in America, see here.

We have two second year goalkeepers in the u18s, Conor Gough and Brandon Hall, and new first year George Howard. Apart from Gough being 6 ft 5 I don't know much about them though.

I imagine we'll go for someone cheap to challenge Rob Elliot, not sure how highly the 3 u18s 'keepers are rated.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: JollyRobin[/cite]Whatever happened to Callum Christie? Why waste money on bringing in a keeper (when Rob Elliot will give 100% whether his place is in jeopardy or not) and bring up another young & talented keeper through our youth system. Shame to lose Randolph, but we've shown we can produce top qualities goalkeepers at this level, lets not go back on that and waste excess money & wages. Bringing in Richard Wright, Tony Warner etc will mean much higher wages than developing another young talent, I fear we get rid of our youth players to quickly nowadays, especially when looking at benchwarmers & enhancing depth in the squad.
    Christie was released last summer. He was interviewed in an article in 4-4-2, said we'd have given him a contract if he was 6 ft 2, but he's only 5 ft 10. He spent last season playing in America,see here.

We have two second year goalkeepers in the u18s, Conor Gough and Brandon Hall, and new first year George Howard. Apart from Gough being 6 ft 5 I don't know much about them though.

I imagine we'll go for someone cheap to challenge Rob Elliot, not sure how highly the 3 u18s 'keepers are rated.

Yer, shame about Christie, he'd be 20 now so might be able to step up. Always though he was a decent keeper, but can sort of understand the height thing being an issue. If our alternatives are a couple of 17 year olds and a 16 year old it's probably a safer bet to look for cheap options elsewhere.
  • Options
    funny enough there was a Charlton fan on talksport a couple of mornings ago talking about his mates son ( a keeper ) who'd been released by us as he was considered too small and had been playing in America but would like to come back here . I thought that must be Callum so maybe that could be a possiblity
  • Options
    agree with Robin.

Young up and coming (cheap) gk rather than old but expensive bench warmer.

Loanee if there is a crises
  • Options
    What's Ikeme doing with himself these days?!

Personnally I'd go for Warner if he's cheap enough. It'd be good to have experienced back up for Robbie on the bench. Someone who can step in at a minute's notice and be solid...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I agree with Robin and Henry. A young keeper with plenty of potential that we can groom to take over when Robbie is sold in the next fire sale.
  • Options
    Binks
  • Options
    Personally would prefer to sign a decent keeper to put pressure on Elliott. If he thinks he is on easy street then we are in the you know what.

Please not Daryl Flahavan though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]Binks
    Was released.
  • Options
    I'd be happy with that sort of signing, a young goalkeeper who would see us as a big move so would be ok waiting for his chance.

Maybe he'd have come in if Randolph had left in January? Even if he really impressed I doubt we'd have brought him in as a 3rd goalkeeper. Warner only came in because we couldn't go into the last month or so of the season with only one fit goalkeeper.
  • Options
    Carl Ikeme on a season loan please!
  • Options
    or Thomas Myhre!
  • Options
    Just seen that Feddy Hall the Bermundan keeper who I think was mentioned here not so long ago as having a Charlton connection is on trial at Plymouth.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ketteridge might be alright as back up. He has a good Arsenal pedagree. Mind you, the Swindon keeper Smith showed us how important it is to have a decent 2nd string...he got his side to Wembley!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]found this, could be an option again now ?

and lo and behold he appears in the second half at Welling.
  • Options
    Not sure if it was Worley or Kitteridge in 2nd half
    Worley was on the program but twitter said kitteridge

IMO if the pre match warmup is anything to go by then I'm not sure he did himself much good
  • Options
    pretty sure I heard Basey call him Ross, could be wrong though.
  • Options
    I heard ross being shouted
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JollyRobin[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    Christie was released last summer. He was interviewed in an article in 4-4-2, said we'd have given him a contract if he was 6 ft 2, but he's only 5 ft 10. He spent last season playing in America,see here.

Yer, shame about Christie, he'd be 20 now so might be able to step up. Always though he was a decent keeper, but can sort of understand the height thing being an issue. If our alternatives are a couple of 17 year olds and a 16 year old it's probably a safer bet to look for cheap options elsewhere.
    Just seen this thread. I work with a fellow that knows Callum very well, apparently he was at the play off semi and was also upset at our exit, was nice to hear he still visits and still holds the club close to his heart.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    feck me. Can't believe they are both called Ross, Kitteridge and Worner. How weird is that. Looking at their pictures I'm not too sure which one it was.

However, one is a nervous wreck released by Basingstoke (Kitteridge). The other played 49 games for Woking last season in the BSP and had a cracking season by all accounts and trained with us in January (Worner). Take your pick.

Seeing as in two games he has barely got a look in I'd suggest that Kitteridge is not really on trial but there to help out in training and as back-up to Robbie in case. he get's injured with the promise of a cameo here and there. If he were really on trial he'd have got 45 minutes tonight I'd have thought.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Seeing as in two games he has barely got a look in I'd suggest that Kitteridge is not really on trial but there to help out in training and as back-up to Robbie in case. he get's injured with the promise of a cameo here and there. If he were really on trial he'd have got 45 minutes tonight I'd have thought.
    I think we saw the same last year against Welling, we had that non-league (Maidstone?) right back Rob Carter playing, but we were close to signing Richardson. I suppose 20 minutes playing for us and a bit of training is better than nothing for him, perhaps he'll go soon as we sign someone or he gets another offer, even if it's just a trial.
  • Options
    still not convinced it was Kitteridge, in either game.
  • Options
    http://www.wellingunited.com/tpl/matchdetails.php?id=84
    Obviously a mistake, but just to confuse things, Welling's OS calls him Rob Kitteridge..!