Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

4 July 1990 - where were you?

I was in The Beech Tree pub in Bromley.

After the game one of the fellas I was with put a window through just off the High Street.

Jeez, that was a lifetime ago.

Comments

• Options
    not born yet
  • Options
    In an English style pub called the Drunken Duck in Vilamoura, Portugal, sitting next to Derek Hales' brother.
  • Options
    Rouen in France on a school trip. We got plastered on red wine, then the local yoof decided to CS gas us on the way back to our hotel.
  • Options
    Just got back from Rome after seeing all the group games in Sardinia
  • Options
    I was in Valencia. Sat in my nan's front room watching it on my own (no-one else there gave a toss, naturally, after the day-glos had once again been knocked out in the first knockout round). I was only 16, my cousins had all f***ed off to the beach earlier and left me on my own. On the plus side, I got mumm-raed, went out with my uncles and got off with an absolutely beautiful girl later on - who must have taken pity on me in my England shirt circa 1982 as otherwise she was waaaaaay out of my league - and about 19 as well. Never saw her again.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    My first world cup that i was allowed officially to drink in pub. After watching cameroon game in the Drayman an then danced round the clocktower till early hours i knew for German game i wanted to sit in front of a telly without any distractions so ended up in a little pub in woolwich watching on a portable. Concentrated on the game.
    An said we would drive down to meet the gang afterwards. But that didnt happen an knew i had made right choice as my pal was down the Station in welling told me all the lads there threw their glasses at the bar after the last pen an a few punch ups.

But that month in july was superb. My mum had died a few months before an we were all really miserable and for a few weeks there was that world cup.
  • Options
    I had just started a new job Art editor on Period Living and Traditional Homes In London. I had had quite a few months off as I had been freelance/unemployed for some time, mainly due to the birth of my twin sons I had decided to 'get some money'. Last job before we went over to Apple Macs, old fashioned typesetting and paste up!. Bought my lads baby England kits, ( Fakes) and the first word my son said was 'ball' . We used to play football down the hall, they could barely walk so were so little..... Had a great time on the magazine, got away with murder being the only male in an all female office. God it seems a lifetime ago!
  • Options
    Philadelphia PA.
    Had to go to work at halftime - working for an ice cream company who needed everyone one board for the 4th July celebrations.
    Had no idea what was happening in Turin until drinking the first beer, back in our neighbourhood bar, hours after the game had finished.
  • Options
    the plough, lewisham. it had been great down there for every game so far. at the end, after shilton had decided that he didn't fancy diving for any of the penalties until they had gone past him, we left the pub for possibly the last time ever and headed down to the royal albert on blackheath hill. one of my mates turned weird that night too and we never saw him again either after we went to playa de las americas a couple of weeks later.
  • Options
    Sent to bed before the second half. :-(
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Watched it in the Clubhouse of my cricket club, Blackheath CC. Went straight to the Beehive afterwards.
    The Stones were playing Wembley that night and Jagger wouldn't come on till the game had finished. I saw them on either the previous or following Saturday, can't remember now.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Watched it in the Clubhouse of my cricket club, Blackheath CC. Went straight to the Beehive afterwards.
    The Stones were playing Wembley that night and Jagger wouldn't come on till the game had finished. I saw them on either the previous or following Saturday, can't remember now.

I had a ticket for the Stones that night, Jagger did go on while England played and he never mentioned the game.
  • Options
    Our flat in North Pont, Hong Kong.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: charltonkeston[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Watched it in the Clubhouse of my cricket club, Blackheath CC. Went straight to the Beehive afterwards.

I had a ticket for the Stones that night, Jagger did go on while England played and he never mentioned the game.
    You must have the wrong night. It was widely reported that the concert was deleyed, Jagger's first words were "What a shame eh?"

Check your memory, your diary and your birth certificate.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]

You must have the wrong night. It was widely reported that the concert was deleyed, Jagger's first words were "What a shame eh?"

Fail
    Pretty conclusive I'd say.
  • Options
    Watching it at home with my mum & dad, one of the last times I remember us all together as a family - she died not long afterwards, a very emotional memory!!

That ITV documentary tonight was superb, cant believe its 20 friggin' years!!

I Know its a cliche but this years lot aren't even close to that squad in terms of desire & pride in the shirt...........
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]

Fail

Proves nothing, written 20 years later. I stand by my comments.
  • Options
    My 12th birthday, lots of family and friends at my house. I remember us all crowding round a telly in my front room, I got to stay up late on a school night. Party ended pretty soon after the shoot out, I was devastated.
  • Options
    Stuck on the sofa with my parents.
    Had a particularly nasty stomach bug that wiped me out for that whole week.
    The environmental health office even came around to check out the conditions I lived in, due to the strain of the virus I had - that pleased my Mum !!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]

Fail

Proves nothing, written 10 years later. I stand by my comments.
    Really? I would have thought that the accounts of two people who were actually there that night - one taken from a completely different source - are a bit more valid than that of a man who wasn't there (20 years later).

Of course, its only anecdotal evidence, but you may as well say that we can't prove Henry the eighth had Anne Boleyn executed because we've only got anecdotal evidence of the fact.

Urban legends - specifically peoples' willingness to continue to believe (and, even more bizarrely, defend) them despite mounting evidence against them and the fact that the legend in question is usually a ridiculously trivial thing - are fascinating.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cap In Hand Pub, Hook Road Surbiton, first & only time I ever painted my face for a football match.
  • Options

maybe I had the wrong night, maybe you are mistaken. It dont really matter.
  • Options
    So why bring it up in the first place?
  • Options
    I was only 6 and cant really remember it but the programme on ITV last night still made the hairs on my neck stand up. Plus the bit at the end when Gazza found out that Sir Bobby asked his son how Gazza played in the charity game got me a bit choked up.
  • Options
    I was there, incredible experience, could not believe what I was seeing, gutted doesn't come close to describing the feeling at the end.

Had to queue 12 hours for a ticket, the German FA had bought up everyone elses allocation and Graham Kelly and our FA had done f**k all (some things don't change)

Its been pointed out before on this thread but can anyone imagine players in that team having a cigar and a laugh after losing a world cup match. I don't think its to do with ability but more mentality, its all to easy for them and basically they don't care.

Thye have world wide fame which 20 years ago could only be achieved at a world cup not in an overblown domestic league.

Great memories but the current shower of shit that represent my country are a disgrace
  • Options
    I missed this programme las tnight and just checked - its being repeated on ITV4 tonight at 8pm in case anyone else did too.
  • Options
    I was 7 so don't really remember much about the match just my dad having the right hump after and switching the tele off straight away.
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]I was only 6 and cant really remember it but the programme on ITV last night still made the hairs on my neck stand up. Plus the bit at the end when Gazza found out that Sir Bobby asked his son how Gazza played in the charity game got me a bit choked up.

That bit got me choked up as well, esepcially as you could see the effect it had on Gazza when they told him. Good job up was sitting on my own!
  • Options
    Having been in Napoli watching England beat Cameroon in the quarterfinal, it would have cost us £80 each to get tickets for the semi in Turin. And we could have got all the way there to find they'd sold out and we'd have to pay hugely inflated prices from touts.

Even so, £80 was a lot more money in those days 20 years ago, than it is today ...... so me and a mate decided to get a train to Bari and ferry to Greece and on to the Greek islands.

Leaving Piraeus, we settled down to watch the match live on the ferry's TV, a few of us English and an Irishman - nobody else was interested. All went well until the penalties ....... then everytime the ship changed direction, we lost the picture!

We saw Pearce begin his run up .......and then zzzzzz ....... the picture was lost!
    It was the grinning Irishman who'd got his radio from his rucksack, who took much delight in telling us that Englasnd were out!
  • Options
    I was 11 and on holiday in Almeria with my family, don't really remember a lot about it apart from us being outnumbered about 20 to 1 by Germans in the bar we sat outside
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]I was 7 so don't really remember much about the match just my dad having the right hump after and switching the tele off straight away.
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]I was only 6 and cant really remember it but the programme on ITV last night still made the hairs on my neck stand up. Plus the bit at the end when Gazza found out that Sir Bobby asked his son how Gazza played in the charity game got me a bit choked up.

That bit got me choked up as well, esepcially as you could see the effect it had on Gazza when they told him. Good job up was sitting on my own!

Yeah!! ..................And I was only 8 ; )