Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

No-one is interested, so it shouldn't be on the tele!

I was just channel-hopping and came across the Wimbledon mixed doubles. What a joke, the crowd was no more than you'd see at a Ryman 2 game. It's clear that, despite the hype, no-one is really interested in this "sport". I just don't see how it can justify a place on terrestrial tv. Imagine if they showed football, cricket, boxing or snooker matches with such a small crowd they'd be laughed out of town. Why do we have to put up with this nonsense every year?

Comments

• Options
    But you have to admit there were some quality rallies going on there
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Hig[/cite]But you have to admit there were some quality rallies going on there

Sorry, I wouldn't know. Like I said, I was channel hopping. I took one look, thought "this is pathetic" and moved on as quickly as if I'd stumbled across Everybody Loves Raymond.
  • Options
    Haha :)
    To be honest I didnt watch it, I saw a quick round up of the 2 minutes worth of interesting rallies which was good stuff though, but nothing on charlton. 37 days and it starts all over again.
  • Options
    Whoa! Those Williams girls though - you would, wouldn't you?!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]Whoa! Those Williams girls though - you would, wouldn't you?![/quote]

Not with yours
  • Options
    Thought this was about the forthcoming orient game.

The contempt i am showing for the coming season is showing absolutely no signs of slowing down.
    Can somebody wake me up when it's all over.
  • Options
    Stig----------just because you don't like it doesn't mean it shouldn't be shown

I'm sure there are plenty of people who turned onto ITV last Dec to see Charlton play Northwich Victoria in front of a few thousand people and thought excvatly the same.

You should never mock someone else's choice of enjoyment - be it they like chess, stamp collecting or train spotting ! Each to their own.

Jeez - we really have some narrow minded bigots on here.
  • Options
    I thought you might of been talking about the world cup as i haven't watched a match since england went out but yeah i agree about wimbledon also.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]

Can't think who you mean.

Anyway, good to see you back, Golfie .......... good performance by our remaining 8 professionals at Welling.
    Glad you enjoyed the match.

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]Stig
    just because you don't like it doesn't mean it shouldn't be shown

I'm sure there are plenty of people who turned onto ITV last Dec to see Charlton play Northwich Victoria in front of a few thousand people and thought excvatly the same.

You should never mock someone else's choice of enjoyment - be it they like chess, stamp collecting or train spotting ! Each to their own.

My argument wasn't because I don't like it. My argument was because at a supposedly major event, there was next to no-one in the crowd. It obviously isn't as popular as the BBC execs think. Sure, they should show the final, but there obviously isn't the interest in all the games for it to warrant being on terrestrial tv. The earlier games should be moved off BBC2 and onto some minority digi-channel, that would clear up the schedules for some quality programming about stamps, railways and chess. As for Charlton, they should never never never be shown on the tv - that way we'd stand a chance of winning about three more games a season!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ah, the toe curling embarrassment of watching the Addicks on TV. A early exit from an incredibly early round of a cup competition thrown in. The rest of your weekend totally fucked over as a consequence and then work on Monday morning.......cant wait !
  • Options
    I thought this was the Orient away thread ;-)
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]Stig
    just because you don't like it doesn't mean it shouldn't be shown

My argument wasn't because I don't like it. My argument was because at a supposedly major event, there was next to no-one in the crowd. It obviously isn't as popular as the BBC execs think. Sure, they should show the final, but there obviously isn't the interest in all the games for it to warrant being on terrestrial tv. The earlier games should be moved off BBC2 and onto some minority digi-channel, that would clear up the schedules for some quality programming about stamps, railways and chess. As for Charlton, they should never never never be shown on the tv - that way we'd stand a chance of winning about three more games a season!

You tuned into a mixed doubled match which no one is interested in, but gets bumped onto centre because it's the second week and there are hardly any matches left. Considering it's evening and they've already seen the singles matches they were there for, it's no surprise most of the crowd leave.

The point being that you can't base the popularity of the event on that game. Tune into pretty much any singles match and there'll be big crowds. To say 'its obvious that no one is interested in this sport' is flat out wrong. If you don't believe me, join the 4 hour queue that forms every morning to get in.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: soapy_jones[/cite]Ah, the toe curling embarrassment of watching the Addicks on TV. A early exit from an incredibly early round of a cup competition thrown in. The rest of your weekend totally fucked over as a consequence and then work on Monday morning.......cant wait !

I can only remember one time I've seen us play particularly well on TV, and that was the 3-0 away to Middlesborough several years back. In general it's a depressing experience.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sussex_Addick[/cite]
    You tuned into a mixed doubled match which no one is interested in...
    I certainly did, and that is my argument in a nutshell. If no-one is interested in that match, it shouldn't be on mainstream tele. Of course the "no one is interested in this sport" line was a bit of hyperbole as well you know, but the evidence of yesterday is that tennis is not nearly as popular as Auntie Beeb would have us believe.
  • Options
    The mens singles is extremely popular but I agree that they shouldn't show mixed doubles.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Sussex_Addick[/cite]
    You tuned into a mixed doubled match which no one is interested in...
    I certainly did, and that is my argument in a nutshell. If no-one is interested in that match, it shouldn't be on mainstream tele. Of course the "no one is interested in this sport" line was a bit of hyperbole as well you know, but the evidence of yesterday is that tennis is not nearly as popular as Auntie Beeb would have us believe.

But once again, your 'evidence of yesterday' isn't evidence at all. Wimbledon is hugely popular both in terms of spectators and television audiences, and one mixed doubles game at the end of the tournament that you had a glance at doesn't change that.
    [cite]Posted By: LawrieAbrahams[/cite]The mens singles is extremely popular but I agree that they shouldn't show mixed doubles.

Perhaps, but they hardly show any of it anyway. It only tends to be late in the second week when there are literally only a couple of singles matches to play. The Beeb need to put aside the time for the singles matches anyway, and if they finish quickly then they show the mixed doubles afterwards. They've paid for the rights, so why not? Rather than rescheduling every time the singles matches are over quickly, they might as well have a set time to fill with tennis. Even the mixed doubles probably get reasonable enough viewing figures.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sussex_Addick[/cite]... one mixed doubles game at the end of the tournament that you had a glance at doesn't change that.
    Don't the games get more important/interesting towards the end of a tournament then?