Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wolfgang Stark (The referee today)

edited June 2010 in General Charlton
I thought he had an ok game to be honest, but it did occur to me during the game that it was a bit odd for FIFA to assign a referee from Germany when Germany have a real interest in what happened today.
For example, he could have decided to hand out yellow and red cards all over the place, potentially giving his home nation an advantage in the next round.

To his credit, he didn't do this, but still.
Did anyone else think this was a strange appointment?

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2010
    [quote][cite]Posted By: lordromford[/cite]I thought he had an ok game to be honest, but it did occur to me during the game that it was a bit odd for FIFA to assign a referee from Germany when Germany have a real interest in what happened today.
    For example, he could have decided to hand out yellow and red cards all over the place, potentially giving his home nation an advantage in the next round.

To his credit, he didn't do this, but still.
    Did anyone else think this was a strange appointment?[/quote]

Only now you mention it. thought actually in the context of the competition so far he was pretty lenient.
  • Options
    Yeah, I agree, he did alright.

I can just imagine the outcry though if he'd had a mare and sent a couple of players off and given yellows to Gerrard and Milner.
    We'd have been without 3 or 4 first teamers in the next round and the Conspiracy theorists would have had a field day.
    Just don't understand why FIFA allowed that to potentially happen.
  • Options
    Can see what you mean.

Thought he let the game flow which suited England.
  • Options
    Very good referee IMO - allowed for physical stuff and applied common sense ( barring Johnson)
  • Options
    Absolutely.
    To be honest, I thought we had a real result getting him because he DIDN'T hand out cards willy-nilly.

Very few mistakes and a good honest performance IMHO.
  • Options
    i thought he leant towards us so in the blinkered world of football fans he was a good ref
  • Options
    Apparently the fourth time he'd reffed an England game and we won all four!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite]Apparently the fourth time he'd reffed an England game and we won all four!

maybe we should have him for sunday?