Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Heskey

England players are now protecting themselves from Emile Heskey by disguising themselves as a goal!

Comments

• Options
    I read the interview with Heskey in the Sun today. Always comes across as a very honest person and professional. Agree that his performances can sometimes be below par but some of the stick he gets by people what dont see him play week in week out is uncalled for.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    If you are gonna take 2 big strikers in that mould, Heskey and Crouch is it, who else should be there?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]I read the interview with Heskey in the Sun today. Always comes across as a very honest person and professional. Agree that his performances can sometimes be below par but some of the stick he gets by people what dont see him play week in week out is uncalled for.

But no-one gets to see him play week in week out because he's deemed not good enough by Villa to play regularly. So that surely tells people something.
  • Options
    Even though he is a bit of a laughing stock, the fact Michael Owen said Heskey was his preferred partner upfront and that Rooney in the qualifiers seemed to thrive playing with Heskey shows that is a fine player. His record infront of goal may be awful but some of the countries best managers in O'Neill and Capello rate Emile very highly and for some readon England have played better in the last 2-3 years with Heskey upfront.

Even in McLaren's disaster spell, England did have one or two really good performances (Russia home 3-0) when Heskey was upfront.

I expect Heskey to start on Sat and even against the top teams, I see Heskey as more of a threat to the opposition defence than Crouch/Defoe, maybe not in goalscoring terms but if Heskey is on top of his game, then he can be a real handful and defenders will not like playing against him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DRAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]I read the interview with Heskey in the Sun today. Always comes across as a very honest person and professional. Agree that his performances can sometimes be below par but some of the stick he gets by people what dont see him play week in week out is uncalled for.

But no-one gets to see him play week in week out because he's deemed not good enough by Villa to play regularly. So that surely tells people something.

hmmm guess he does play second fiddle to Carew. What i meant was more towards the people that know very little about football yet when they get involved in a football convo they seem to have the opinion that Heskey is a joke.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Even though he is a bit of a laughing stock, the fact Michael Owen said Heskey was his preferred partner upfront and that Rooney in the qualifiers seemed to thrive playing with Heskey shows that is a fine player.

Of course other strikers like to play alongside Heskey, they get to score all the goals themselves because he never will.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Even though he is a bit of a laughing stock, the fact Michael Owen said Heskey was his preferred partner upfront and that Rooney in the qualifiers seemed to thrive playing with Heskey shows that is a fine player.

Of course other strikers like to play alongside Heskey, they get to score all the goals themselves because he never will.

erm, not sure if thats a serious answer or not....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]

It was deadly serious. Heskey's stats prove he rarely scores or gets assists. To say defenders would rather play against Heskey than Crouch/Defoe is simply not true. Heskey showed against Japan that you don't even need to mark him because he'll fluff it himself.
  • Options
    He does score many or assist, what he does do is make runs and draw defenders to him that then leaves a space for that man who does score, before anyone judges him too much look at the games he has played in and see if you can watch clips, you will see precisely why the likes of Owen and Rooney want to play alongside him, and coaches know he does that, he is not picked by Capello to score goals but to create that space, that is his role in the England team. Granted I would not back him one on one with a keeper but you have to say he is effective at the job he is asked to do.
  • Options
    surely anyone could do that?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: PeteF[/cite]He does score many or assist, what he does do is make runs and draw defenders to him that then leaves a space for that man who does score, before anyone judges him too much look at the games he has played in and see if you can watch clips, you will see precisely why the likes of Owen and Rooney want to play alongside him, and coaches know he does that, he is not picked by Capello to score goals but to create that space, that is his role in the England team. Granted I would not back him one on one with a keeper but you have to say he is effective at the job he is asked to do.

I can see that, but I also believe Bent/Defoe/Crouch could create space equally well, and if they couldn't would actually make up for it by scoring some goals.

This season Charlton have had a centre midfielder who at times has played well, but not contributed enough in terms of goals and assists: Thierry Racon. We can put up with that, because Charlton aren't that good and we don't have anyone better available. However, for some reason it's ok for the 8th best national side in the world to have a non-goalscoring, non-assisting striker. In my opinion that is mental when we have at least 3 other decent options available to us.
  • Options
    Not true, he knows he is not the best finisher, and he knows thats his role, most strikers are extremely selfish, Heskey is not which makes him ideal for the role, it really is not something any player can do.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]

It was deadly serious. Heskey's stats prove he rarely scores or gets assists. To say defenders would rather play against Heskey than Crouch/Defoe is simply not true. Heskey showed against Japan that you don't even need to mark him because he'll fluff it himself.

So you dont believe what Wayne Rooney, Michael Owen or Fabio Capello say?

Heskey may not get many direct assists but he certainly wears down defenders and doesnt give them an easy ride and draws fouls. Why change what worked in qualification??....As long as Gerrard, Lampard and Rooney do what they are capable of, then Heskey should start. If its good enough for Don Fabio....its good enough for me.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: PeteF[/cite]He does score many or assist, what he does do is make runs and draw defenders to him that then leaves a space for that man who does score, before anyone judges him too much look at the games he has played in and see if you can watch clips, you will see precisely why the likes of Owen and Rooney want to play alongside him, and coaches know he does that, he is not picked by Capello to score goals but to create that space, that is his role in the England team. Granted I would not back him one on one with a keeper but you have to say he is effective at the job he is asked to do.[/quote]

I can see that, but I also believe Bent/Defoe/Crouch could create space equally well, and if they couldn't would actually make up for it by scoring some goals.

This season Charlton have had a centre midfielder who at times has played well, but not contributed enough in terms of goals and assists: Thierry Racon. We can put up with that, because Charlton aren't that good and we don't have anyone better available. However, for some reason it's ok for the 8th best national side in the world to have a non-goalscoring, non-assisting striker. In my opinion that is mental when we have at least 3 other decent options available to us.[/quote]

The fact that Rooney and Owen, our most prolific International players rate the job he does surely says something, look at succesful teams ,Germany in 74 who played up front with Gerd Muller, Argentina 78? who was Kempes partner, 82 Italy who played alongside Rossi?
  • Options
    Fact is Heskey is England's only experienced big strong targetman. Carlton Cole and Bobby Zamora are the only alternatives I've heard (Kevin Davies might have been in the past), but Heskey has over 50 caps, the rest don't have 10 between them. Crouch is a different kind of player, as is Defoe obviously.

It worked in qualifying but we don't even know how much he'll even play in the World Cup. Isn't necessarily going to start on Saturday is he? He's there if Capello feels he needs that type of player.
  • Options
    Heskey's problem is that at Liverpool he got into a comfort zone - and was encouraged to run into the box, fall over and get a penalty. He's been a much better player since he left Anfield. I'd prefer him to Bent, but not by much, but I'd rather see Rooney play with Defoe on Saturday.
  • Options
    Mooney of the england team?
  • Options
    This should ease the pain of watching Hesky huff and puff around the pitch on the worlds biggest stage, all because "Rooney likes playing with him" -

THE EMILE HESKEY DRINKING GAME

THE RULES.

Emile is seen walking anywhere on the pitch - two fingers of alcohol

Emile is seen sprinting anywhere on the pitch - four fingers of alcohol

Emile pulls a face reminicent of Eyore from Winnie the Pooh because he hasn't been given the ball - Three fingers of alcohol

Emile's ability to 'hold up the ball' is mentioned - Three fingers of alcohol

Emile comes back to defend a free kick/corner and makes a defensive mare - Last one to shout out 'DONKEY' drinks four fingers of alcohol

Emile falls over (anywhere on the pitch) - half of all drinks must be downed

Emile heads the ball in a directionless fashion, aimed for no one in particular resulting in the ball going out of play - 3 shots

Emile scores - all drinks must be downed.

Emile misses a sitter or trips over the ball - 3 shots

Emile is caught offside - 3 fingers

If Emile repeats his "DJ" or "Putter" celebration – Last one to shout out ‘IVANHOE’ downs their drink

Any reference to his 'Glory days' when partnering Michael Owen: 1 shot

Emile attempts a bicycle kick - Down all drinks

Emile SCORES with a bicycle kick – Another round of drinks in and downed.

A commentator claims that forwards ‘Love to play with Heskey’ – Three fingers

Emile scores a hat trick - 3 pints downed then 3 shots downed, followed by a standing ovation.

*SUPER SPECIAL WORLD CUP RULES*

A commentator mentions Emile's current domestic barren run stretching back to February - Three fingers

A commentator notes that Emile was a 'surprise selection' for the squad - Half drinks downed followed by a standing ovation

Emile is referred to as the 'Peter Beardsley' to Wayne Rooney's 'Gary Lineker' - Four fingers

England are knocked out and a highlight montage is shown. If at any point, Emile's heartbroken face is displayed - Three shots followed by a tearful group hug with your drinking companions

Emile scores the winning penalty in a penalty shootout - ALL drinks downed followed by a mass DJ Celebration

Emile scores the winning penalty in a World Cup final shootout - Purchase the most expensive whiskey from the bar, down in one, and fall to your knees in ecstasy because EMILE'S BRINGING FOOTBALL HOME.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]Mooney of the england team?

More like the Carl Leaburn.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PeteF[/cite]The fact that Rooney and Owen, our most prolific International players rate the job he does surely says something, look at succesful teams ,Germany in 74 who played up front with Gerd Muller, Argentina 78? who was Kempes partner, 82 Italy who played alongside Rossi?
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]So you dont believe what Wayne Rooney, Michael Owen or Fabio Capello say?

Again, I see what you're both saying, but I'd be interested to know whether Rooney and Owen was asked:
    "Do you enjoy playing alongside Emile Heskey?" - in which case there is no way they would ever say no and slag off a teammate
    OR
    "Who would you most like to play alongside for England?"

Can't argue with Capello's record I must admit. But I'm not simply willing to believe that Heskey is the best answer for us because Capello thinks it is. That probably makes me wrong, but I cannot understand why. All logic and reasoning leads me to believe that we can do better than big Emile.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All will be revealed very very soon! here's hoping for a good month or so!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PeteF[/cite]All will be revealed very very soon! here's hoping for a good month or so!

When Emile gets the golden boot, I will

a) look very stupid
    b) be as happy as any England fan
    c) bow down to PeteF and ValleyGary

:)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: PeteF[/cite]All will be revealed very very soon! here's hoping for a good month or so![/quote]

When Emile gets the golden boot, I will

a) look very stupid
    b) be as happy as any England fan
    c) bow down to PeteF and ValleyGary

:)[/quo

I never said he would get the Golden Boot! you can bow down if we win the thing with Heskey in the team!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]surely anyone could do that?

And pick the England team, judging by some of the experts on here...
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]surely anyone could do that?[/quote]

And pick the England team, judging by some of the experts on here...[/quote]

Did you not know Algarve? we are.......honest guv
  • Options
    Hey I am with you old chum. Not into this crystal ball malarky, lets just see what happens - I trust in Fabio to do the right thing.
  • Options
    Fact is Heskey is England's only experienced big strong targetman. Carlton Cole and Bobby Zamora are the only alternatives I've heard (Kevin Davies might have been in the past), but Heskey has over 50 caps, the rest don't have 10 between them. Crouch is a different kind of player, as is Defoe obviously.

Exactly, I'm not even sure Carlton Cole is that similar to him either. Zamora would have been preferable but he doesn't have the fitness to handle the world cup and his goalscoring record albeit has improved, is no where near as good as people seem to think this season.

Capello knows more football than all of us and he seems to like him. Rooney said he enjoys playing alongside Heskey so who are we to argue? We should do everything to keep him happy and on form and having the big man annoy the centre backs and win the ball for him seems to work.
  • Options
    Carl Leaburn was born 15 years too early.
  • Options
    Its about picking the best team, not the best 11 players.....

I remember when Mark Hughes played for Man United and people used to slag him off for not scoring enough goals but he was not in the side just to score, he was in there to win the ball and feed his wide players or play it to Cantona.

Heskey does a similar job for England, his job is to win and hold the ball and stop it coming straight back again after it has been cleared.

This is why a Rooney-Defoe front two won't work, neither can be relied on to hold the ball consistently with their back to goal - Rooney can hold it up of course (he can do anything) but is wasted in that role.
  • Options
    Sorry do not rate the guy....... a journeyman hold up player what he is doing in an England shirt god knows. If you want a difficult awkward player Crouch everytime..... his record for England proves it. Heard all the comments about hold up play etc.

Obviously has hiden talent , because they do not appear to be displayed on the pitch!