Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Corners, Please I.D. lets leave one up

edited August 2006 in General Charlton
It's been a bug bear of mine under Curbs bringing all 11 back for oppo's corners.

Really hoping under Dowie, who seems a bit more attack minded, that we can leave 1 or 2 up
front and give the oppo's defence something to think about.

Not seen any pre-season games, anyone know if this was happening ?

Rommedahl would be my choice to stay up.

P.S Good luck with this site, hope it takes off.

Comments

• edited August 2006
    Rommedahl was left up against NZ, I am sure. And, if Ketman is right (I'm sure he is), then Dowie looks to be getting the best out of Rommedahl, which means using his quickness, something I think Curbs couldn't do. I guess Dowie didn't take the "Dennis in the Last Minute" thing personally!

Thanks for the best wishes. I'm pleased with how it's going so far. Thanks for the support...
  • I don't think its a case of leaving players 'up', its a case of leaving them out the box. If a team isn't sure defensively, or against dominent opponents, they will pack the box to try and make it harder for the other side to get free runs and true connections.

I'd leave three outside the box hoping to pick up the second ball, but none on the halfway line.
  • I noticed they had a corner during the Orient game when we were 1-0 and we still pulled 11 men back. Is this a curse placed upon Charlton that we have forgotten about due to the far more dismal mistakes we've been part and parcel to over the last season and a half?
  • [cite]Posted By: DaveStorry[/cite]It's been a bug bear of mine under Curbs bringing all 11 back for oppo's corners.

Really hoping under Dowie, who seems a bit more attack minded, that we can leave 1 or 2 up
    front and give the oppo's defence something to think about.

Not seen any pre-season games, anyone know if this was happening ?

Rommedahl would be my choice to stay up.

P.S Good luck with this site, hope it takes off.

God that was the extent of our worries back then. Hohumm
  • Was pleased to see we left Sam/Wagstaff AND Reid up when defending corners. It meant they left 3 players back, plus a couple outside our penalty area. Takes off pressure and we have two players to clear the ball to.

It's something they've thought about as we've been bringing all 11 players back in most games.
  • My Sunday League side leaves three (the short quick ones) up - one far left, one far right, one in the middle. Works a charm becuase basicaly the other team leave their back 4 back, including the big centre backs. We have one on the post and are still 6 (plus a keeper), against 5, and have plenty up for counter attacks against a sometimes slow back 4 on thier halfway line.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Was pleased to see we left Sam/Wagstaff AND Reid up when defending corners. It meant they left 3 players back, plus a couple outside our penalty area. Takes off pressure and we have two players to clear the ball to.

It's something they've thought about as we've been bringing all 11 players back in most games.

I suspect it was done because we lacked height compared to Yeovil. The idea being to keep some of their big men out of harm's way watching our players.
  • Watched an italian game a few weeks back, cant remember who now but for a corner the defending team left 6 players up so it forced the attacking team to leave 7 (and the keeper) outside the box so they only had two players attacking the cross. Made it so easy for the defending team to clear or for the keeper to collect. Looked strange such an empty area but something different i guess.
  • I've been saying this for ages - why not try something different for a change.

Say you are chasing a game -need to score to get a point, or maybe all 3 - Opposition have a corner and you stick 4 players on the half way line, what are they going to do ? As shown prob bring 4 or 5 back , maybe not if they also need something from the game. .......but would be interesting to see,
  • Perhaps we did it because our own players started getting in each others way when defending corners. For Bristol Rovers first goal last week we had 3 defenders within 2 yards of each other, and their scorer all on his own.

Good to see Parky encouraging the team to leave 1 or 2 up. With Elliot's distribution it could give us a couple of opportunities on the break as well.