Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Happy 300th Birthday to the United Kingdom

Formed today in 1707 with the act of Union between England and Scotland.

Comments

• Options
    And gone downhill ever since
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Arfur[/cite]And gone downhill ever since

As quoted in the Times that day.

"Yee current Children be fat and lazee and there be mothers aged 11 who have childs only to get a good bed in the workhouse. The situation has declined since my youth and I four-squarely lay the blame on the parents and the new fangled spinning jenny. Many youths are uncouth and refused to work a mere 16 hours a day or doth their caps to their betters.

This new country is going to the canines in a small cart. We shall never rule one quarter of the world, have the strongest economy or win two world wars, mark my words"
  • Options
    i blame the fat people! ;-)
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    The benefit of hindsight shows that this historic Union enabled the newly formed United Kingdom of Great Britain to concentrate on war & trade with the rest of the world rather than on internal strife. It helped GB to become a very rich and powerful nation.

This important event actually took place under the rule of the mostly forgotten Queen Anne, who reigned from 1702 to 1714. Anne was the youngest daughter of James II. Her sister Mary and Mary's husband William (William & Mary) had been the previous monarchs. Interestingly, or not, Queen Anne was the last of the Stuarts to reign in this country; she was followed by George I, who was a German from the House of Hanover.

Here endeth today's history lesson!!
  • Options
    People do this country down to much, best country in the world bar none.