Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Illegal downloads

I'm sure there are some of you out there who download films and music illegally. What i was wondering is if BT Guard actually does protect you from getting caught or is it just a scam to make them money?
My mate reckons you can avoid being caught by simply not sharing it back but is that right?

Comments

• No, it doesn't protect you, and no you can't prevent being caught by not sharing if you torrent. The very nature of torrents is that they are public - and therefore extremely easy to track. Newsgroups and private invite-only FTP sites, on the other hand, are much harder to track you on. The problem with those is that it is absolutely impossible for you to plead ignorance if you DO get caught out on them (and it does happen)
  • Leroy maybe i've got this wrong but don't these services run you through their own proxies before you connect to the torrent file and therefore anyone recording the ip's is going to get the proxy ip not your real one? Seems like a far better bet than those useless bits of software like peerguardian. Having said that I'd still be rather worried that these companies would have real world names and addresses, bank details and records of all illegal downloads of every customer, fingers crossed their databases are watertight.
  • if they really wanted to trace it, they most likely could. no doubt the proxy would keep some sort of record of the IPs coming in and the ones going out.

best advice is the same with most things you shouldn't really be doing - don't do too much of it.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stebo[/cite]best advice is the same with most things you shouldn't really be doing - don't do too much of it.

Yeah, it might get sore
  • a few years ago i borrowed a disc from a fellow Dj for one of my wedding gigs which was going to be a dance/house night based music and during sound checks i played the cd through the sound system and the quality was shocking, so when i went digital i only ever downloaded through itunes and the quality is far far superior. the other problem with programs like limewire etc is that a lot of the files are written with viruses and can play havoc with windows os, iv heard of people having to replace pc's just on this alone so would definately not recommend illegal downloads.

doing my bit there for the music industry :)

seriously though, you never know what the quality will be like and god knows how many processes and times a file has been rewritten before you play it to an audience, the quality of the music is destroyed.
  • [cite]Posted By: Choice[/cite]a few years ago i borrowed a disc from a fellow Dj for one of my wedding gigs which was going to be a dance/house night based music and during sound checks i played the cd through the sound system and the quality was shocking, so when i went digital i only ever downloaded through itunes and the quality is far far superior. the other problem with programs like limewire etc is that a lot of the files are written with viruses and can play havoc with windows os, iv heard of people having to replace pc's just on this alone so would definately not recommend illegal downloads.

doing my bit there for the music industry :)

seriously though, you never know what the quality will be like and god knows how many processes and times a file has been rewritten before you play it to an audience, the quality of the music is destroyed.

That aside, if you're in the business though, and are profiting from the music, you really have no excuse for downloading illegally.

As a casual listener of music and a poor student, I now use Spotify (so that the artists get some revenue, no matter how small) if I don't have the CD, and if it isn't on there, buy it or download it illegally.

But I have to say that a lot of stuff I have downoaded illegally over the years, I wouldn't have bought because it was such an unknown to myself, and as I have discovered I liked it, have bought that band's next album, so they've still got some money out of me. Have also bought albums legally before on the basis of one single though and they've been absolute tosh, which had I have known before handing over the cash, I obviously wouldn't have. Swings and roundabouts then I guess......

btw, out of interest, does anyone know the legal status of buying a CD as a present for a friend, and copying it to iTunes before giving it to them? Am I right in thinking that legally you should destroy the computer copy when the physical one ceases to be your property?
  • edited May 2010
    I dont illegally download myself, mainly because of viruses...but I dont think its any big deal. I'd be thrilled to see one of my songs on Limewire...someone wanting something youve created is much better than fame or money.

I stll think Parky is the man for the job.
  • edited May 2010
    [cite]Posted By: allez les addicks[/cite]That aside, if you're in the business though, and are profiting from the music, you really have no excuse for downloading illegally

i am absolutely against downloading for this reason and quality.

remember the slogan, piracy kills music
  • edited May 2010
    But Phil, there is no music industry left...all the major record companies are broke, anyone can make a CD or promote themselves...you just meet shit people, hear shit manufactured music (I'll even include myself in that bracket) fewer and fewer people are playing instruments or singing live. Wake up mate, its all over...that goes for me too, I cant even get charity work anymore..OK I'm not a great singer but it is free FFS. All we hear is radio Gaga...how prophetic was that song?

I really like the new strip.
  • my brother is a lead guitarst,been doing it for over 30 years have to say very very good,played at ronnie scotts and other big venues,worked with danny wiliams and lots of good country musicians,my uncle was in eric claptons first group,got sacked for fighting,mentioned in claptons book quite proud of that really.
  • Sponsored links:

• and my uncle was in ian maclagans first group muleskinners . sings back door man with him,on youtube
  • The only part of the music industry that piracy is killing is the part that should be killed.
  • Chunes...I doff my cap to you...SPOT ON!

I sit in the West Stand.
  • edited May 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]The only part of the music industry that piracy is killing is the part that should be killed.

I'm no expert but I'm under the impression that record labels get a high proportion of song revenue, revenue which wouldn't occur if songs were just pirated, and not played on radios, or bought. So I presume that's who you are talking about.

Personally I don't think that is wrong though, if it wasn't for the record labels than the majority of those big selling records wouldn't be big sellers. Industry contacts, PR, marketing, production and studio time (as I'm sure you know) all costs money and there is no guarantee any artist will make it successful, no matter how talented they are. No doubt the rewards for the labels are big if they do, but I guess for every artist who does succeed there are at least 2 for which they don't get their investment back. Surely, as the saying goes, a smaller slice of a big pie is better than a big slice of a small pie?

I know certain labels, such as the ones who sign the x factor winners, pay smaller than average fees to artists, but if it wasn't for the labels they wouldn't be anywhere near as successful as they are. I'm pretty sure those artists still earn more than they were before releasing that single though. Seems to me that the whole industry is structured like a simple investment market, and that seems fair to me. After all, if you were staking someone in a poker game, you would expect a cut of the winnings if there were any!
  • Musicians and singers should be thankful that they have a talent alone! If I was a famous and talented singer I'd only expect expenses for doing gigs...or the equivelent of an average wage for that day or week whatever. I never got why singers and musicians should be paid so much cos most of the real talented ones were born with the talent, its not like a doctor who has to train for years and years.

I like our club colours.
  • I was referring to the massive labels and their down-your-throat marketing and PR. Creating shallow idols, selling sex to kids - all in the name of profit. These are the people that piracy 'harms'.

As for it harming the artists, ever seen Cribs?
  • LOL chunes...the massive labels are about as solvent as our club, so stop worrying now! Cribs, absolutely the dogs for me.

I think the club should get the big screen fixed.
  • I occasionally download music torrents for my IPOD but not for serious listening.

I've never paid for a download because I don't like the sound of downloaded music. Maybe in the electronic music age the difference is less noticeable but bands that use real instruments just don't sound the same. And I prefer something physical when I am paying money over. Pining for the days of a Virgin bag (from the original shop above the shoe shop in Oxford street) with a proper 12 inch LP inside.
  • edited May 2010
    [cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]I stll think Parky is the man for the job.
    I really like the new strip.
    I sit in the West Stand.
    I like our club colours.
    I think the club should get the big screen fixed.
    I'm a bellend.
    Good man.
  • Keeping it CAFC!
  • Sponsored links:

• Leroy...Mrs Windscreen didnt type bellend...is it a joke?
  • [cite]Posted By: Mister Windscreen[/cite]Leroy...Mrs Windscreen didnt type bellend...is it a joke?
    Not as much of one as yourself.
  • edited May 2010
    I dont get it Leroy...why am I a joke? I'm not too badly off, nice house, nice car...little apartment on a pretty Greek island, a fuck off recording and video studio, a pretty young talented wife (36 years my junior in case you forgot) I look 25 years younger than I really am, am in perfect health, have a body to die for, have had a rock and roll lifestyle, visited 36 countries, played with a quite well known band, have worked with the UK's most succesful songwriter, I'm an accomplished pianist and guitarist, a published author, I hold two worldwide patents, and last but not least I have an IQ that would blow your socks off!

I'm guessing lots of people now want to be a joke like me LOL.
  • [cite]Posted By: Mister Windscreen[/cite]I dont get it Leroy...why am I a joke? I'm not too badly off, nice house, nice car...little apartment on a pretty Greek island.....

yassou....
  • er.......
  • edited May 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Choice[/cite]when i went digital i only ever downloaded through itunes and the quality is far far superior.

Its funny you should say that because one of the things I hate about itunes is the poor quality bitrate they sell to you. 128kbs and charge you a tenner for the privelege. I personally download and have no qualms about it. I see bands I like live and they get some income that way but really I'm not going to try and justify it because I dont care that much. My music download site has a minimum bitrate of 192 kbs which is already better than itunes, costs me nothing, is very fussy about the quality of peoples uploads, is a private tracker, oh and did I mention costs me nothing!
  • I wouldnt bother with anything under 320kbs but agree that 192kbs is acceptable for free. 128kbs sounds like an underwater concert but there are always people out there who care nothing about quality. Seems that Blackheath people are a little more discerning...snubs nose and returns to his Bennet Park apartment.
  • I can handle 192K - anything below that is gash and sounds like it was reocrded off a radio onto cassette tape in the eighties. When I rip stuff to mp3 for listening on the move I use VBR with a 192K minimum - that makes reasonably small files and doesn't compromise as much on sound quality as you'd think. Sooner or later, mp3 players will be big enough capacity to carry 10,000 tunes around in flac - and that will be just about perfect for me.
  • [cite]Posted By: Mister Windscreen[/cite]I dont get it Leroy...why am I a joke? I'm not too badly off, nice house, nice car...little apartment on a pretty Greek island, a fuck off recording and video studio, a pretty young talented wife (36 years my junior in case you forgot) I look 25 years younger than I really am, am in perfect health, have a body to die for, have had a rock and roll lifestyle, visited 36 countries, played with a quite well known band, have worked with the UK's most succesful songwriter, I'm an accomplished pianist and guitarist, a published author, I hold two worldwide patents, and last but not least I have an IQ that would blow your socks off!

Bet your shit stinks...
  • edited May 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Mister Windscreen[/cite]I dont get it Leroy...why am I a joke? I'm not too badly off, nice house, nice car...little apartment on a pretty Greek island, a fuck off recording and video studio, a pretty young talented wife (36 years my junior in case you forgot) I look 25 years younger than I really am, am in perfect health, have a body to die for, have had a rock and roll lifestyle, visited 36 countries, played with a quite well known band, have worked with the UK's most succesful songwriter, I'm an accomplished pianist and guitarist, a published author, I hold two worldwide patents, and last but not least I have an IQ that would blow your socks off!

#1 - Greece is a shithole
    #2 - If the photo on your FB profile is accurate, you're an ugly cnut
    #3 - You're about as rock n' roll as Shadwell
    #4 - You post shit like 'in case I forgot' your wife's age - when I have never met you, don't know you and don't give a tinker's cuss about you
    #5 - I can play the guitar, bass and drums. Better than you as well.
    #6 - I haven't counted them properly, but I've been to more than 50 different countries.
    #'7 - My IQ is higher than yours. Being able to finish the Evening subStandard Sudoku doesn't confer a high IQ on you.
    #8 - No-one gives a shit what two-bob songwriters you've worked with - pop music is all utter bollocks.

Do one.