Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Eurovision conspiracy theory

I’m sure everybody remembers the extravaganza that was “Your country needs you” in 2009. A very glamorous and well-organized series of eliminators to find the singer that would represent the UK. The globe trotting Andrew Lloyd Weber wining and dining European dignitaries in an attempt to re-ignite the UK Eurovision torch. What is the betting that this little indulgence went way over budget? A week before the eliminators were due to start, there were rumours on the Internet that an experienced female singer had already been given the place, but that the shows organizers would make out that she was an unknown…this later proved to be the case. Add to this the further rumours that the twins had actually got more votes than the eventual winner and you may begin to smell a rat. In view of all these things possibly being true, could it not also be true that this year the BBC were looking for a get out clause? Even if none of the above is true, what happened this year surely has to ring some alarms bells. The last minute thrown together show to announce the song and parade the hopefuls…”Car crash TV” as one newspaper called it, and of course everyone was asking the same question “Where did they get the singers from” I watched in disbelief as Messrs. Stock & Waterman, wearing expressions that suggested they had only been informed the previous day that the show was on, grunted out their complaints in a “what the hell are we doing here” fashion. They hadn’t met the singers, the song was just a skeleton, and please believe me that once you have a basic melody line and chords it doesn’t take very long to put a half decent track together…if I can do an orchestral arrangement in 3 days on my own, then I see no reason with their experience and facilities they couldn’t deliver something better than that. Now we start to deal with the unbelievable. Mike Stock, songwriter, singer, pianist, guitarist…from a musical family. Here we have a professional, exacting skilled songwriter with a wealth of experience…a man who does things properly. I may not like all his songs but they are superbly structured and however cheesy the lyrics they will always work. This man is too clever and has too much musical knowledge to write a song that breaks all the rules of success. Crap lyrics that don’t make sense, no key change on the chorus; the chorus itself so disjointed and fragmented that it feels like it was written for another song and an ending that is woollier than Shaun the sheep. It is my belief that Josh Dubovie has been a pawn in this trashfest for the sole reason of fabricating an excuse for the BBC to never have to enter Eurovision again.

ps. Forgot about the song being a semitone too high for Josh's belt and the backing singers singing out of tune.

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mister Windscreen[/cite]Josh Dubovie has been a pawn in this trashfest for the sole reason of fabricating an excuse for the BBC to never have to enter Eurovision again.

I'll leave aside all your arguments for the moment and get to the heart of it: Why? Why would the BBC not want to enter Eurovision?

I've heard that we pay £280,000 for the rights for the Eurovision final and semi-finals. That would barely pay for 20 minutes of an episode of Doctor Who, but for their money the Beeb get 7 hours of prime time entertainment and some of their highest ratings. In television terms it's great value for money.
  • Options
    I'd want to see the balance sheet to be convinced...its rumoured that 14 countries will drop out next year because of the economic climate. Its all suppersition Sussex...you throw in a lot of possibles and see if any probables come to the surface.

Needless to say I'm a very sad old man that loves this contest and always wants the UK to do well.
  • Options
    I do actually agree with you that the selection of Jade last year was suspicious and there may be legs to the conspiracy she was parachuted in and marked as Lloyd-Webber's favourite from the start. But imo it was more because the producers realised they'd made a hash of the selection process and that it was looking like they'd have to go through a whole series with mostly pub singers.
  • Options
    I'll be less respectful

Bore off
  • Options
    Is this whole post/topic part of some giant Turing test or something?
  • Options
    Sorry for encouraging this. I always take the bait of debunking conspiracies, whatever the topic :(
  • Options
    Best. Sink. Ever.
  • Options
    Bizarre.
  • Options
    Sorry, couldnt resist...was inspired by my hero F&H. Most said I'd be sunk in 3 LOL.
  • Options
    What's a sink?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just found out . . .
  • Options
    LOL Hig...I'm so thick it took me 3 months to work out.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Sorry to quote you but I think you missed something.

(quote) Surely you should be posting topics like this on a BBC Eurovision /Music site who could concentrate on your ideas / beliefs / encouragement rather than a site that courently is mourning the disappointment on their passion / hobby that has disappointed/upset them through failures of other degress rather than having to listen to topics of this nature...No disrespect to you but this is a Charlton website! (quote)

This is the fifth time in a week that someone has implied that myself or my wife should not post anything apart from Charlton related subjects. It is not only laughable that you obviously missed the point that there are actual Category's on this forum, but also that others that have posted pure crap on here are not challenged. You say with respect and then do the opposite and disrespect me...do I care? Nope, just like having fun...

Go roll a joint, watch the centenary video and chill out man...and stop this mourning thing...it was a great season.

Happy days, Gelan (outragous ageing hippy and diplomat)

ps. No need to reply as I am removing my membership of this forum in the next few minutes. Byeeeeeeeeeeeeee.