Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

An Evening with Clive Mendonca & Steve Jones

edited May 2010 in General Charlton
on Sat 29th May 2010, The Melbourne Arms in Plumstead, SE18 will be having 'An evening with Clive Mendonca & Steve Jones, whereby Guests can ask questions and re-live the Play off Final they were both involved in. Doors open at 7.30pm and only a few tickets will be available on the Door.

Comments

• bit short notice otherwise would have gone, now committed elsewhere.
  • Me too, cant get out of bank holiday saturday plans now. Shame.
  • how comes such sort notice ? would've gone to this but already got plans
  • Ditto comments above
  • cant help thinking about our away support when reading this thread lol
  • edited May 2010
    Can confirm this event is pucka, just spoke to the landlord...entry £20 on the door which includes a buffet meal. Starts 8.00 till late.
    I told him that this should have been advertised on CL and he said he thought that the organisers had done this.It's been arranged for the last month or so...Carlo is also supposed to be attending as well...and possibly a couple of others.
    There are about 70 attending and he thinks there are about 20 tickets left.
    You can phone the pub to reserve.
    I'll get back in a moment with the number.
    It's 0208 265 7475
  • Just booked two tickets, no problem.
  • These are the sort of evening that our club should be holding during the off season.

Without being funny, how can a pub in Plumstead do this sort of thing, yet the club seems to have no interest in?

A few hundred in crossbars on a Friday evening would have made a few quid to keep the backroom staff in work for another week or two.
  • [cite]Posted By: cafckev[/cite]These are the sort of evening that our club should be holding during the off season.

Without being funny, how can a pub in Plumstead do this sort of thing, yet the club seems to have no interest in?

A few hundred in crossbars on a Friday evening would have made a few quid to keep the backroom staff in work for another week or two.

kev, you have a very valid point.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: cafckev[/cite]These are the sort of evening that our club should be holding during the off season.

totally agree, I'd have gone to this like a shot if I could've
  • [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: cafckev[/cite]These are the sort of evening that our club should be holding during the off season.

nolly another one with no caps or full stops...what have you done, it's contagious FFS!
  • [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: cafckev[/cite]These are the sort of evening that our club should be holding during the off season.

nolly another one with no caps or full stops...what have you done, it's contagious FFS!

eh?
  • Sorry Eltham, it's standing joke between me and nolly.
  • eh?
  • No problem.

;o)
  • sometimes you have to be in the know to know because if you aint in the know you wont. I know, because i knew.
  • This is the sort of thing that shows how the club has lost touch with the fans, and are only worried about Saturdays or Tuesday/Wednesdays.

A few years ago, Im sure Charlton would have considered doing this type of thing and other things for the fans ie halftime fun with kids such as penalties or relay races.

Now its football and nothing else.

Take the playoff game at home. How hard would it have been to get a few players onto the pitch from the "greatest ever game at Wembley" or get some of the footage shown on the big screen? What about a piper playing VFR?

They have lost touch with the fans, unless we are prepared to pay for it in one of the bars where we can meet of of the match day hosts!!
  • Although I broadly agree with you Kev you do need to remember that there are far fewer staff nowadays to organise these types if things.

That being said, it does feel that some connection has been lost.
  • We can all wait around for the Club to do it all for us or we as fans can start to do it for ourselves again.

Just as the Club got a bit bloated and took some things for granted so has the fan base. We sit back and wait for someone else to do everything for us and then complain when it doesn't appear.

Hence we have no supporters' club, we can't get it together to start a trust and even with the task of helping to take the flag around the suggestion is to delegate it to Club staff.

And if the Club had organised this and charged £20 their would have been screams on here of ripping off the fans, just interested in the money, etc, etc.

No one from the Club organised the 10th Anniversary dinner for the Leeds Play-off game but me and MOG did. It doesn't have to be the Club, we can do it.

And there are still opportunities to meet old players at NW Kent and Bromley Addicks. Often they are free or only a few quid.
  • Sponsored links:

• i've got a mate who does these do's with local pubs,he has done a few millwall ones.He asked me if i thought if there would be any interest,but with the satellite branches doing this quite regularly didn't think it would take off.If
    any one is interested in organising one I can put you in touch with him.I know he has been doing a lot of things with the swan and has done a lot of these q & a sessions with different clubs and different players.
  • totally agree Kev
  • Not sure if there are any tickets left...but BUMPED anyway.
  • Well said, Henry.
  • Soundas if you could do a bit of investigating for me re the cost of this. Would be interested in organising one for clive an it doesnt have to be a City Addicks. I am interested whether we have to pay for them to appear. Thanks. I trust you to be tactful as ever. :-)
  • Oh an some sort of contact details. Tho I can prob get thru my contact at the FPA. I thank you'v
  • Timing seems a bit unfortunate - the Millwall plastics all heading back through and there sits a pub full of Charlton fans.
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Soundas if you could do a bit of investigating for me re the cost of this. Would be interested in organising one for clive an it doesnt have to be a City Addicks. I am interested whether we have to pay for them to appear. Thanks. I trust you to be tactful as ever. :-)

Will do.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    Hence we have no supporters' club, we can't get it together to start a trust and even with the task of helping to take the flag around the suggestion is to delegate it to Club staff.

You just can't let it go can you. It was a SUGGESTION.

Whilst I agree that not everything should be left to the club to organise, it's still valid to question why they don't do this sort of thing. Can't imagine they are making much money out of Bartram's tonight.
  • If only we had a fan's director, I'm sure he could have sorted all this out....