Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shipbuilding

Discuss

Comments

• Options
    Are you thinking of switching from cardigans to pullovers? :-)
  • Options
    Elvis costello do a song about ship building?
  • Options
    Yes originally Robert Wyatt, and it's lovely. Can we discuss the song instead of the painting?
  • Options
    next door to where i used to ive in Deptford was St Nicholas Church its where Drake said his prayers his ship The Golden hynde (sic) was built and set sail from deptford.
  • Options
    Nice Tank-top
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: leaburn4england[/cite]Yes originally Robert Wyatt, and it's lovely. Can we discuss the song instead of the painting?

Why not discuss both.

This was actually used for the cover of the Robert Wyatt single.
  • Options
    I prefer the Sausage Shop...
  • Options
    One of my favourite Robert Wyatt songs. Very sad.
  • Options
    It was a Costello/Langer song - given to Robert Wyatt.
  • Options
    Well the painting is by Stanley Spencer, I think the original is at the Imperial War Museum, Sir Alex Ferguson was involved in getting Spencer's paintings to the IWM
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not heard about Fergie's involvement.

more
  • Options
    it is at the IWM. Was commissioned as were many other works and is part of their collection.

Personally I think it (there are a number of panels) is stunning.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Discuss.

Is it worth it?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Not heard about Fergie's involvement.

more[div class=Attachments id=Attachments_709592][ul][div]burners.JPG[/div][/ul][/div][/quote]

His family history in the shipyard led to him being asked to help,
  • Options
    far too intellectual conversation for me

and for that reason

i am out
  • Options
    Seems to be a case of 'Discuss' for anything apart from football.... :-(
  • Options
    No I do like a bit of art, having looked after NMM's paintings for a few years I have an interest.
  • Options
    Personally i like Herbert John Everett, spent hours at work looking at his paintings and sketches.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Cordoban Addick[/cite]Discuss.

Is it worth it?

A bicycle on the boy's birthday?
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]far too intellectual conversation for me

and for that reason

i am out

Not intellectual. Just do you like it?

Not many paintings of men working in heavy industry. This is Glasgow but how many of our fathers/grandfathers worked in factories or at the Woolwich Arsenal?
  • Options
    I can spend hours looking at the paintings of Edward Hopper.

nighthwk.jpg
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Cordoban Addick[/cite]Discuss.

Is it worth it?

A bicycle on the boy's birthday?

Its just a rumour that was spread around town.... (or are rumours for another thread?)

Seriously, love the song. The original often gives me a tear in my eye, and ECs is not bad either. The artwork is also excellent and I like most of Hoppers work.

Not sure about he boat though. Sorry PF.
  • Options
    the song is brilliant.

Dont think that is the best of everett but not a big fan of him or that style. Very victorian drawing room imho

Anyway Spencer anyone?

After starry night and this will have to find some more pop/art cross overs.
  • Options
    Thats ok Cordoban, it all opinions, I had that painting looking at me every day, and all of his other works I could view at my leisure.
  • Options
    good job at nmm. Like iwm great art collection.
  • Options
    Yes the painting collection at NMM was impressive, far too many dead Admirals though, its shame there is only enough space to display such a small fraction of the collections, worked there for nearly 10 years, looked after the paintings store for about 3, loved it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PeteF[/cite]Thats ok Cordoban, it all opinions, I had that painting looking at me every day, and all of his other works I could view at my leisure.

Re-assessed it a bit. I think it would work (for me) as a really large piece, you know covering half a wall. And of course being veiwed from a distance, a computer screen does not always/often give justice to a work of art.

"After starry night and this will have to find some more pop/art cross overs" - I bet you have a few up your sleeve H, just to get us through the summer!
  • Options
    Cordoban, had I still been working there I would have invited you to view it and others in the store, the colours are stunning, his seascapes are just incredible, he earned his money painting portraits, but his passion was the sea, all of his seascapes were left to the museum I think, if you go to the NMM website you can view the collection online, I agree with you, a PC screen never does art justice.
  • Options
    What does it say about the war...?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PeteF[/cite]Cordoban, had I still been working there I would have invited you to view it and others in the store, the colours are stunning, his seascapes are just incredible, he earned his money painting portraits, but his passion was the sea, all of his seascapes were left to the museum I think, if you go to the NMM website you can view the collection online, I agree with you, a PC screen never does art justice.

I do as a rule love pictures of the sea, particularly those with sailing ships or wild rocky seas (not the two together). I come from a long line of stokers, so I think there must be something in my nemes about being at sea, but wanting to have a view.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Cordoban Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: PeteF[/cite]Cordoban, had I still been working there I would have invited you to view it and others in the store, the colours are stunning, his seascapes are just incredible, he earned his money painting portraits, but his passion was the sea, all of his seascapes were left to the museum I think, if you go to the NMM website you can view the collection online, I agree with you, a PC screen never does art justice.

I do as a rule love pictures of the sea, particularly those with sailing ships or wild rocky seas (not the two together). I come from a long line of stokers, so I think there must be something in my nemes about being at sea, but wanting to have a view.

Some/most of his other stuff is of the sea and waves. Plus I think there is one of Greenwich which is almost impressionist

I'm struggling at the moment for other pop/art crossovers. The first Velvet Albums album of course but will have to set my mind to it.