Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

James Constable

Oxford Utd. striker, scored 45 in last two seasons, with luck could be a Charlie Austin or a Steve Morison.

Maybe do a deal with Fleetwood/Mcleod going the other way?

Would it be worth a punt?

Comments

• Options
    What type of striker is he? Would they let him go?
  • Options
    Would hope we would get some sort of money for Fleetwood/Mcleod. Granted not alot but as they are still under contract. Knowing our luck we won't be able to flog them and they will be our starting two next season.
  • Options
    Looks like a goalscorer with 45 goals in 2 seasons....
  • Options
    He's 6ft 2, strong and fast with a powerful shot.

Doubt Oxford would let him go without a fight though...
  • Options
    fleetwood + money
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    [cite]Posted By: coltsgoalie[/cite]fleetwood + money
    Unlikely, Fleetwood's not done anything since he came here and he's probably one of their best players.

The main thing for me is getting McLeod and Fleetwood off the wage bill, and perhaps swapping one of them will get us a better striker we'd otherwise have to pay for. Will they accept lower contracts elsewhere though? They could just let their contract run out here, take the money and play whenever we need them. McLeod would probably get a quarter of what he's on here if he leaves.
  • Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/o/oxford_utd/7981645.stm
    Found this from his wikipedia page, has another 2 years on his contract.
  • Options
    Depends what sort of transfer budget we get. If any. I'm sure we would be an attractive club to him.
  • Options
    I'm sure we would be, but I don't think we'll be spending anything at all on transfer fees without a takeover. Not even £100k here and there.
  • Options
    I thought this was going to be another one of those painter threads...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    if we could get them to take fleetwood in exchange and then a nominal fee then great... wouldn't bet on it though
  • Options
    In normal circumstances ( whatever they are these days!) it would be worth a punt with a deal. What concern me as I am sure many others is having players on wages simply far beyond a sustainable level for this league. And we still have far too many!.

The dilema is how do we dispose of these guys!. The team is bound to need refreshing and the two above plus others are a weight around the clubs neck. I have no idea how the chairman gets these people of the wages bill, short of getting a hit man!

A swap with cash is probably the most immediate solution, but I really cannot see it for the majority. In years past these guys would be banished to the reserves and take a hint!...... but we all know that is not possible.

Let's hope we could offload them in a job lot. Not sure we will have any meaningfull transfer budget with this lot bleeding us dry!
  • Options
    I went to see Tamworth vs Oxford this season and he looked quite decent. He looks like a bit of a hard b*stard which is prob what we need. I think looking at the lower leagues/non-leagues is the way forward in this moment in time.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    If Charlton are interested then so will a few other clubs with more to offer than us. I suspect all our newbies will be free transfers and kids on loan.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mr.Mendonca[/cite]Oxford Utd. striker, scored 45 in last two seasons, with luck could be a Charlie Austin or a Steve Morison.

Maybe do a deal with Fleetwood/Mcleod going the other way?

Would it be worth a punt?

He could also be another Dickson/Fleetwood.

You need to look further than just the amount of goals a player has scored that level especially when you consider the standard of opposition. He is also playing in one of the dominant sides in that division.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]I thought this was going to be another one of those painter threads...

Nah...He plays for Swindon
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]He could also be another Dickson/Fleetwood.

All depends what's going on inside his head .......attitude, willingness to learn, mental strength and composure, and application on the park.

Steve Morison at Millwall has shown this season how it's done.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]He could also be another Dickson/Fleetwood.

All depends what's going on inside his head .......attitude, willingness to learn, mental strength and composure, and application on the park.

Steve Morison at Millwall has shown this season how it's done.

And Charlie Austin
  • Options
    Don't think you can blame Fleetwood for lack of attitude, willingness to learn etc, just not good enough...Dickson is probably the opposite!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]

He could also be another Dickson/Fleetwood.

You need to look further than just the amount of goals a player has scored that level especially when you consider the standard of opposition. He is also playing in one of the dominant sides in that division.

you're right - and we were short sighted with those two; i doubt they were even scouted. but then we had a bit more money and thought we could afford taking a couple of gambles... more short-sightedness

Constable is a different player than those two. he's a big lad who uses his high and strengh to good effect and he also has pace and a good finish. he can adapt to different styles of play; whether it's crosses from the wide men, through balls or route one. i reckon he would be less of gamble.

however now oxford have been promoted they would be able to ask for more money for him. so uless they would take fleetwood in exchage, it's unlikley to happen.