Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football league crowds highest for 50 years

Comments

• Options
    Because we are in a ressession :-)
  • Options
    Interesting. We should probably mention that the figure was helped by Newcastle, West Brom and Middlesbrough replacing Birmingham, Wolves and Burnley. The Championship attendance would've falled sharply if Newcastle weren't there.

But the recession was supposed to be hurting football clubs and their attendances, wasn't it? It's certainly affecting total revenues and money-raising ability, but attendances all round are healthy

I remember hearing that the Championship is the fifth most popular league in Europe. I wonder where League 1 stands in that regard.
  • Options
    champ is 4th most popular, ahead of seria A
  • Options
    Its those massive 11,000 crowds at palace that are swinging it...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: leaburn4england[/cite]champ is 4th most popular, ahead of seria A

Even better!

I'll be honest, though. That statistic sounds like a weasely one to me from the year Juve were in Serie B.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: leaburn4england[/cite]champ is 4th most popular, ahead of seria A

Even better!

I'll be honest, though. That statistic sounds like a weasely one to me from the year Juve were in Serie B.

That was 2 or 3 years ago.
  • Options
    I found this. The Championship finishes ahead of Serie A because there are more teams in the Championship. It's a long distance behind on averages.

If you take average attendances, the Bundesliga is ahead of the Premier League.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]I foundthis. The Championship finishes ahead of Serie A because there are more teams in the Championship. It's a long distance behind on averages.

Probably because its a lot cheaper and they treat their fans like adults
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]I foundthis. The Championship finishes ahead of Serie A because there are more teams in the Championship. It's a long distance behind on averages.

Probably because its a lot cheaper and they treat their fans like adults

I was going to say probably because it's cheaper, the grounds are bigger (for the World Cup), and there are a lot of smallish towns with teams in the Premier League (Wigan, Bolton, Burnley, Blackburn just to take four neighbours), compared to bigger cities with none (Yorkshire and midlands cities especially, and now the south coast too). Also, there are fewer teams in the Bundesliga. But yeah, treating their fans like adults is a bonus.