Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

End of Season thoughts

edited May 2010 in General Charlton
So the dust settles on another season, another season of ‘what ifs’ and ‘if onlys’.
The inevitable question will arise about our Marmite Manager.
Love him or hate him Parky has time left on his contract so I guess he will be staying to see that out. As a club we are looking for the stability we enjoyed in the Curbs era. We have fallen into the trap of ‘sack the manager/board/tea lady’ when we have not got the results that some on here feel we deserve. To some of the younger supporters we are a Premiership club on its downers at the moment. To me and I guess a lot of the older hands we are a club that has been mostly between second tier and first tier football (that’s championship and Prem to the pups), a latter day West Brom if you like. I like and understand that CAFC are the perennial underdog. Our history is littered with examples of how we have ‘duffed up’ so called ‘Big’ teams on occasion now and again. We even spent seven seasons in the Glory league, where we continued to give the odd big team a slap. We know what happened to get us this far down the league and it is a long way back but for twenty minutes on the last day of this season we were promoted!! It didn’t happen, but we got a second chance at it, again we fell short, for a variety of reasons. The blame game has started, understandably because we care about our club. We care because we are our club; unlike a lot of fans (I use the term fan because there is a world of difference between a ‘Fan’ and a ‘Supporter’) who just turn up to the latest greatest. How many would form a political party to keep their club in existence?
I kind of fell out of love with football last year, I realize now for more than one reason, however on Monday night the energy, the buzz and the love came back, yes we lost but that’s not what its all about is it? The passion was there again, from everyone that was CAFC biased, where did I see it most? From our manager, yes I know I have called for his head more than once on here, the Millwall debacle being a case in point, I hold my hands up to that, but on reflection I may have been wrong, I saw his interview on Sky after the game and he cares about the club, the players and the fans. I think Parky understands what CAFC means to us. I will get pelters from some on here but I will nail my colours to the mast and say give him another season, I’m sure he has learned from his mistakes, he knows this division now and player choice notwithstanding I reckon we will get the gloves on and be in with a shout of the automatics come May next year.
That’s all.

Comments

• Options
    +1
  • Options
    Good post. Agree completely.
  • Options
    I think we would struggle to do better than Parky given our financial constraints.

He knows the division and has contacts to play at this level so stick with him I reckon.
  • Options
    Yet to see if we'll be good enough to challenge for the top 2, all depends on our signings and who we sell. I think it must be clear to everyone now that whatever they think of him, Parky does care about the club. I still have a good feeling about what he's trying to do here. Maybe there's a future Premier League manager out there that we can afford, but he won't be easy to find. As you say, sacking the manager (or even him leaving in the case of Curbs) doesn't always turn things around. We might need a couple of years to build a team, but Leeds were down here for 3 years and have now done it, they even lost to a non-league side in the FA Cup just like we did.
  • Options
    Do we have any choice?
  • Options
    good honest post Bibs, at this moment in time i pretty much agree with all of it.
  • Options
    Bibs - Agree with you on parky he has done a pretty good job given the circumstances.

He has a year left on his contract we cant afford to pay him off or for a replacement (plus who could we afford). We dont have a good record for identifying a replacement. My complaint is we have been on too many occasions too negative and risk adverse in our playing style, Norwich, Saints, Millwall and leeds all killed of opponenets more empathically. We only put the Dons & tranmere to the sword all season.

Reality is we have many players out of contract and only 10 players that we could receive a fee for:-
    Parky needs to construct a squad from this situation.
    Of the ten players we can get a fee for its obvious Bailey would command the highest price (although id value Semedo's contribution above his).
    Taken into account his Cheating antics & ability to make costly mistakes. Along with Parky'se fear of not including him in the starting 11 when fit.
    I will be glad to see him off for a fee he's done his bit for us in the past 2 seasons and i wish him well.

That leaves the other 9 how many can we afford to keep? How many are likely to attract interest?

With this position and given his dealings this season. IN Parky I Trust.
  • Options
    I agree but i dont like it, As for Parky i have said a 1000 times yes he's a nice guy, yes he cares but is that enough??

Monday night didnt make me love Charlton anymore, it just reminded me of why i went there in the first place, who needs a team that will win loads losing vallintly is much more fun not.

Fall out of love with footie not a chance get more emotionally involved yes y not i have kids and they need a pokey little place to call their own

Choices? theres only 2 we are either with them or not
  • Options
    Well i predicted we would finish tenth so i am quiet happy really. Although after coming so close GRRRRRRRR
  • Options
    nice one bibble

I thought Monday night was tremendous for lots of reasons and for the night we were as one in the common effort , which the team gave in abundance. I have never hugged so many strangers in my life and No one left early to avoid the traffic , and generally proper Charlton fans filled the ground , well most of it , and I was proud to be there .

We lost a lot of that passion during the premiership years, but I think we know now we can always call and rely on it in the future ...bring it on next year , another adventure beckons

We have a great club
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Would love to have a threesome with the twins next door.....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mister Windscreen[/cite]Would love to have a threesome with the twins next door.....

I think your zimmer frame would get in the way G!!
  • Options
    Gotta say Parky showed a lot of emotion during the game on Monday and I just wish he would do that more often,as for my end of season thoughts,one word really, W**k.