Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wednesday Quiz 19 May 2010

Recent events made me think of the 95/96 season when we last lost a play-off semi-final so all the questions this week are about events that year.

No googling or looking up the answers and then posting them up please. It spoils it for others.

1. Who scored for Charlton in the Play-off semi-final first leg after 55 seconds?

2. Which former Charlton player appeared for Palace in both legs of the Semis?

3. In the second leg of the Semi a player on each side shared which same surname?

4. Who did Palace lose to in the subsequent final?

5. Which Charlton defender made two of his career total 10 appearance (all that season) in the two semi-final legs?

6. In the same season the 5 - 1 win at Portman Rd saw which two "firsts" achieved and by which player?

7. When Charlton ran out at Kenilworth Rd for the televised league game v Luton in October 95 what surprise was there for watching Charlton fans?

8. Three Charlton players (2 then current and one future took penalties in the game v West Brom in January 1996. Who were they and who scored and who missed?

9. The 3 -1 win over Birmingham on 19 August 1995 saw Charlton do what, and our opponents do the same to us, for the first time?

10. Which two, unrelated, players with the same surname made 10 and 11 league appearances respectively for Charlton that season?

Comments

• Options
    1. Shaun Newton

2. Paul Williams?

4. Leicester

5. Carl Leaburn's first hatrick and first penalty

6. New shirt sponsor?
  • Options
    9. It is as straightforward as scoring the first goal of the season against each other - I think that was the opening day
  • Options
    10 chris and david whyte?
  • Options
    6. Also Paul Linger's first goal
  • Options
    7. charlton wearing luton's kit
  • Options
    8. Andy Hunt must have been the WBA player
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JohnnyJoeyDeeDee[/cite]1. Shaun Newton

CORRECT

2. Paul Williams?

NO

4. Leicester

YES

CLOSE. IT WAS BUT THESE WERE CLUB FIRSTS

6. New shirt sponsor?
    CORRECT - Wore Viglen for the first time
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JohnnyJoeyDeeDee[/cite]9. It is as straightforward as scoring the first goal of the season against each other - I think that was the opening day

NO, Not a first for that season. First ever.

[cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]10 chris and david whyte?

Correct
    [cite]Posted By: JohnnyJoeyDeeDee[/cite]8. Andy Hunt must have been the WBA player

He was
  • Options
    2. John Humphrey
  • Options
    2. Pitcher?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: last_line[/cite]2. Pitcher?

Correct
  • Options
    3. Kenny Brown and Steve Brown?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrLargo[/cite]3. Kenny Brown and Steve Brown?

Correct
  • Options
    5, 6 (half way there) , 8 (got one name) and 9 to get still.
  • Options
    9. score a own goal?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nickaspanner[/cite]9. score a own goal?

No.
  • Options
    9 - bring on a 2nd sub ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]9 - bring on a 2nd sub ?

Getting warmer
  • Options
    9 - Brought on a 3rd sub
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrLargo[/cite]9 - Brought on a 3rd sub

yes, first time Charlton had used all three subs and first time other side had done the same in a Charlton game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    5. Which Charlton defender made two of his CHARLTON career total 10 appearance (all that season) in the two semi-final legs?

6. In the same season the 5 - 1 win at Portman Rd saw which two club "firsts" achieved and by which player? It was Leaburn but what was the other significance?
  • Options
    5. Matt Jackson
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    6. His first hatrick? All goals with his feet rather than head?

Sorry, just seen your previous comment about this.
  • Options
    6. Got it I think! Is it something like first time we'd scored 5 in consecutive away games and first time there had been a Charlton player scoring a hatrick in consecutive away games, Bowyer having scored 3 in the 5-4 win against Wimbledon at Selhurst.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrLargo[/cite]5. Matt Jackson

correct
    [cite]Posted By: MrLargo[/cite]6. Got it I think! Is it something like first time we'd scored 5 in consecutive away games and first time there had been a Charlton player scoring a hatrick in consecutive away games, Bowyer having scored 3 in the 5-4 win against Wimbledon at Selhurst.

True but not the answer I was looking for.

Amazingly, but I trust Colin Cameron, it was the first hat trick scored and first penalty taken by a Black player for Charlton

Still no. 8 to get
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Leaburn score the second hatrick in two away games in the space of 5 days. Bowyer scoring the first away to the real Dons at sellout park.
  • Options
    Amazingly, but I trust Colin Cameron, it was the first hat trick scored and first penalty taken by a Black player for Charlton

That's unbelievable. Only started watching Charlton in '91 but can't believe that Paul Williams or Garth Crooks or Paul Mortimer never took a penalty.

As you say though, the man Cameron is rarely wrong!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: JohnnyJoeyDeeDee[/cite]1. Shaun Newton

CORRECT

2. Paul Williams?

NO

4. Leicester

YES

CLOSE. IT WAS BUT THESE WERE CLUB FIRSTS

6. New shirt sponsor?
    CORRECT - Wore Viglen for the first time

The Viglen shirt was worn for the first time at Luton in season 93-94 not 95-96
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrLargo[/cite]

That's unbelievable. Only started watching Charlton in '91 but can't believe that Paul Williams or Garth Crooks or Paul Mortimer never took a penalty.

As you say though, the man Cameron is rarely wrong!

That's what the man says but I was surprised too.
    [cite]Posted By: JohnnyH2[/cite]
    [cite]

The Viglen shirt was worn for the first time at Luton in season 93-94 not 95-96

Bolloxed that one up then. Sorry folks. Remembered it being on telly when it first appeared.
  • Options
    8. Andy Hunt (for WBA) Paul Mortimer and John Robinson took penaties for us, Robbo missed.